TAMU Class of 2022 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@trinley His appl was received 10/17 but we did get “early decision” emails and letters so I guess we were part of that

Has anyone been able to apply for housing at Galveston?

@percy0317 evidently housing portal not open yet http://www.tamug.edu/reslife/index.html

@trinley The Housing Application for NEW STUDENTS for Spring 2018 & Academic Year (Fall '18 - Spring '19) will be available very soon So…wonder where the spring semester kids are living now!!! I’ve tried every way possible and can’t get link to open. If everyone is in the same boat, guess we are fine and not missing out. Hate for my kid to live out on the beach! :wink:

@percy0317 Galveston requires all students under 21 to live on campus so your son will get a spot. Now which spot…IDK

@percy0317 Also not able to get that or a related tamug housing application link to work. This is independent of browser used. Operation just times out. It’s not just you, must be some explanation on their end.

Anyone know admission timelines for Engineering transfers to College Station?

@aggie2297 this thread is for freshman class of 2022 admissions. Have you checked out the Transfer Fall 2018 thread?

yes, not much help in that thread.

@aggie2297 your best bet is to call admissions to see when they expect to have transfer decisions completed. If anything like freshman admissions it will be vague.

@Aggie2297 It would take a little digging going back to older pages but the transfer thread from last year might be helpful. I don’t know if transfers are like incoming freshman, in that some could hear early and same later. I saw a post not too long ago where someone applied in March and received a decision in July for the following fall.

According to the admissions page for transfer students, applications don’t close until March 1, so I would imagine a decision won’t come before then.

Galveston housing said the same thing this morning. Does anyone have any recs on the best dorms to live in?

Can you request a roomate, or live by yourself on campus at Galveston?

@goingtocollege0917 I would call reslife in GV and ask them. I do not know if they have single rooms. All the old links I have to GV housing are not activated right now.

Report back and let us know what you find out.

For Galveston folks re: housing - Just spoke to Alex the assistant director of residence life at TAMUG. They are experiencing software problems on their end and are working on it right now. As soon as they get it up and running, notice will be posted on their website. He advised, “don’t worry. plenty of time.”

@tad1985 @goingtocollege0917 would you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you much for your persistence, @percy0317!
Potential Galveston folks: let’s look for website change to indicate housing application available, www.tamug.edu/reslife and/or www.tamug.edu/reslife/Housing/Apply.html (not sure which).

Just to reiterate, the TAMU Engineering Academy at Blinn-Brenham is independent from main TAMU engineering admissions and has a quick no-fee application process. Google to find this if interested. Hey, what harm could it do to apply? They need a test score to pre-clear for math readiness, but they seemed to be very prompt getting pre-clearance done, as they are set to receive scores electronically after the student requests them. Then they notify the student that s/he will receive an emailed link to application material on March 1. This is a couple weeks away–plenty of time!

This academy is co-enrollment between Blinn College and Texas A&M, just like TEAB. Students can stay one or two years and take the exact same engineering, math, and physics classess, same rigor, etc. The difference is that students take no courses in College Station until they transfer. Rather, the A&M professors come to teach engineering to the students in Brenham. The academy students have a residential living-learning community there in Brenham on campus. Being able to live on campus at a 2-year school is unusual. Blinn appears to be way above average for 2-year schools in terms of overall transfer success for all their majors, not just to A&M, but to other schools.

Brenham is roughly 45 min. drive from College Station by car. This academy has been going for several years, and they have 80 students right now. SAT math scores range from 580 to 780 for those students. There are some bright students there. The head of engineering at Blinn (both Blinn-Bryan, where TEAB is, and Blinn-Brenham) is Ms. Ashley Hermes. I have spoken with her by phone twice. She was easy to reach and had time to talk. She indicated that she can have a line of students outside her door, so she’s very approachable. I enjoyed talking with her, and she seems very knowledgeable and competent. The Brenham academy has a 52% transfer rate to College Station engineering.

Blinn-Brenham TAMU Engineering Academy has a preview day on March 9.

I spoke with Ms. Hermes and we are going there Monday for a tour. My son was admitted to A&M Galveston but I want him to feel he has a choice so we are checking out both.

@goingtocollege0917 I read on their site if you have a preference for a roommate each of the students has to list each other.