TAMU Class of 2022 - Engineering Admission Decisions

Aggie Reddit for Galveston engineering is more reliable, as there are people who can respond to bogus and misinformation posts and debunk junk posts, as we know students can do, as we recently experienced here. There are several threads about ENGR at GV.

The kids I know personally had some gripes but in the big picture, they were small, annoyances, and overall, had a great experience. Were they glad to get to College Station? Of course they were but they didn’t suffer hardships they couldn’t withstand in GV.

College Station does not take your allergies into account when offering admissions decisions. General engineering students will not be around the sea/sea food so to speak, but it is an island and it would be terrible if there were particles in the air that could be ingested, with such a severe allergy. I have a good friend whose daughter is highly/deathly allergy to a variety of foods. Recently, there was a food fight with the cake (planned and outdoors) at a birthday party and the poor girl became hysterical with fear, and rightly so. The parents of the birthday girl were not aware of the severity of the issue of breathing the particles. The mom brought the girl her own prepared food and no mention was made of the planned food fight, not realizing that the flying food particles could be just as dangerous if inhaled. Thankfully, the girl was fine and the parents felt just horrible about it.

I still do not understand why TAMU would not take a severe fish allergy in to account. They are now accommodating students with Autism by having a special place for them. Why not allergies? Do they have peanut free dorms or peanut free eating areas?

It just seems bizarre to me that a student with a documented severe allergy to fish would be only offered a position on GALVESTON ISLAND where Marine Sciences are a huge part of the curriculum and particles of fish could be ubiquitous on surfaces and in the air. A student should not be asked to risk their health/life to be an Aggie.

I would keep going up the ladder of office of admissions to see if the higher up administrators would be more flexible.

Yes, you should petition again in hopes of reaching someone more accommodating, for example, the Director of Admissions.

You have an excellent case for disposition to Blinn or full on campus. If your son really prefers TAMU, perhaps your family really should try again for a change of admission.

Could you ask for the Director, or email or otherwise contact them?

@2dc2018. The Americans with Disabilites Act covers severe food allergies. You may want to contact them with regards to this. I have 2 severely allergic nephews and my sister in law has had much success with this legislation. My son is also an epi pen carrier but nowhere near as allergic as your son. I’m blown away by TAMU lack of accommodation here. Prayers for strength!

@2dc2018 : TAMU College Station campus has a website on the department which covers disabilities including allergies. They list several accommodations including that they have a gluten free area in a cafeteria, and staydents with Crohn’ s disease can request a private bathroom, etc.

Contact the Dean of Admissions, the Dean of Students and whoever handles health/ disabilities on the Galveston campus. Tell them that your son was only given an offer for TAMU Galveston and he really wants to be an Aggie. Then ask how they are going to keep your son safe while he is on the campus since Maritime related studies are the focus on that campus. Ask about their emergency care facilities and protocol for treating someone in anaphylaxis.

A documented life threatening allergy isn’t just an allergy that can be treated by OTC medications. My daughters have pollen allergies that can be treated with OTC medications, not a life threatening issue. Maybe the person you spoke with was confused or didn’t understand the seriousness of your son’s condition.

Make sure that you have documentation of your son’s allergy signed by his doctors that you can scan and send to the various offices.

Contact the Dean of Admissions at the TAMU campus , send documentation of his allergies and ask again if your son can be admitted to a program in CStat: full admit, Gateway or a Blinn program.

Keep going up the ladder of responsibility at each campus.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Does anyone know about A&M rate of internships, particularly for computer science majors? I’ve read UTD has over 100% students participating in internships (most have more than one internship) - would A&M be similar?

Over 100%?

Yes, it meant all computer science students had at least one internship, many more than one.

Question for those doing engineering: if not admitted, who intends to apply to Blinn Brenham or ACC engineering academy? We are attending the the Blinn Preview Day in Brenham this Friday.

Nothing here.

@trinley I believe that A&M main engineering admissions itself may try to encourage some applicants to apply to the Blinn-Brenham Engineering Academy or another academy. They certainly should. I have some sense that this has happened in prior year(s), and perhaps someone here knows for sure.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg that’s interesting and thanks. Based on my son’s math score on the ACT the Blinn advisor said she was 99.9% confident that he would be admitted to the program. He has already applied so we wait on that as well.

@tamujuul @FrozenSenchi123 @pacomom @JenniferAggie91 @mooonmon @Mandog82 @pleaseadmit2022 @soccer19310 @nilavu @ChennaiAg @mr101499 @BigWally @college34476 @Phantomsummer11 @tdhaustin @TXQ @Kaitlin99

For Stats purposes, could you please post, or PM me, if you have received an admissions decision from Texas A&M and appox the date?

If you are still waiting for a decision, please let me know as well!

Thank You!!

@Thelma2 Received full admin on December 15

Sharing our status:My Son has recieved his admission decision. He is admitted to Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan. Letter is dated 3/8/18.
His chosen major is Comp. Engr. Now the big decision is which school to choose between UT Dallas vs TAMU
At UTD he is fully admitted to his major upon entry vs TAMU he has to get 3.5GPA after first year at Blinn to get the choice of his major in 2nd year. We will be spending the weekend discussing all the scenarios. Pls. provide any feedback/advise you might have.

Hi , just checked my status , it’s says I’ve been offered PSA, I had applied to the Biological and Agricultural Engineering program. Can you explain how this works? Will this mean I will not be eligible for scholarships this year?

I have also applied to the Corps

My daughter’s friend also got Engineering Academy at CS. Sorry, no more details.

@tdhaustin the 3.5 requirement after first year is to guarantee his first choice major, he does not have to get a 3.5 to be admitted full time. He will compete for Major slots just like the full time students. Blinn Bryan is coenrolled and he will take classes at A&M and can live on campus etc. it is also a little cheaper as you are paying Blinn prices for 60% of his hours. It is a great program and he will be an A&M student. I took classes at Blinn way back late 80s early 90s while at A&M. I would call an admissions counselor to get more details before making a decision.

@ChennaiAg

PSA is an admissions offer from A&M to attend a branch campus. A branch campus is under the umbrella of the Texas A&M University System but is not part of Texas A&M at College Station and while at a branch campus, you are not considered an Aggie.

Depending on which branch campus you attended would dictate any scholarship information and eligibility. You would have to investigate/contact each campus you are offered to find that information. That is beyond the scope of this forum to provide to you.

If you have not read up on what PSA is, here is the link to do so http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA