TAMU Class of 2022 - Engineering Admission Decisions

Whoop!!! Daughter got into general engineering( chemical) this morning! Perfect timing before thanksgiving.

@Magic09 My son just got into general engineering today too. Yea, perfect timing!! Congrats!!

My son got in too General engineering (Electrical) Good timing!!

Congratulations every one!!! Welcome to the Aggie Engineering Family!

@zmom22 @Magic09 @jeyaraji @LilyWu and any others, If you have not provided stats for yourself/student, will you please post them? I am putting together a spread sheet of this years applicants for the applying students for next year. Please include application date, when you received decision, ACT/SAT scores with breakdown, and math/science courses completed by Sr. year (what level, such AP, honors or pre-AP and Chem, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, or Pre-Calculus Etc). And any PLTW (project lead the way) or other engineering related classes. In state, out of state, international. Especially if you/student is a Review Admit for the UNIVERSITY. Since all are review for the major.
THANKS and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Well, now I am really getting nervous. My son is still listed as Engineering Review. He is top 8%, 3.8 GPA unweighted, has taken an engineering track in high school, multiple AP classes, great community service and leadership, Eagle scout, etc., but his SAT was a 1240. I’m really worried the low SAT will ruin his full admission to CStat. He was auto admit and applied ea on 8/4 but still no word. Nervous for him!

When did you apply: July 1
When did you receive your UIN: July 7
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: November 21
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Auto-Admit
Major/College of Choice: Comp. Eng (Comp. Sci Path)
Did you get in: Yes
Honors program: N/A
Class Rank: 2%
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1380, 640M
Math Taken: Alg. I, Pre-AP Geom., Pre-AP Alg. II, Pre-AP Pre-Calc, AP Stat, and I’m currently in BC Calc
Science Taken: Pre-AP Bio, Pre-AP Chem, AP Env. Sci., and I’m currently in AP Phys I and AP Bio
Engineering Classes: Principles of Eng. and I’m currently in Robotics I
In Texas, they now require students to choose a pathway to follow until graduation, which cover a number of areas. I’m not going to go into all of them, but I’m completing both the science and math pathways as well as the music once, and the engineering path wasn’t introduced to my school until my junior year so I won’t be able to complete it, however I’ve taken the two engineering classes for it that my school currently offers. I’m not sure if TAMU will look at the pathways students choose but in case they do I felt I should include this info. Highschool class of 2018 is the first to have to follow the pathways.

@Thelma for my D:

Application Date: Completed 10/12

GPA and Class Rank: 1/238
AP Classes: 9
Math: Alg 1 & 2 honors, pre-cal honors, geom honors, AP Calc AB(5), AP Calc BC
ACT Composite: 35 (36R, 36W, 34M, 32S)
SAT: 1560 (790 EBRW, 770 Math)
College applied for: Dwight Look College Of Engineering
Major in that College: Computer Science
ECs: Class officer, NHS officer, XC/track, band officer
Did you do all 3 essays: No
In-State, auto-admit
Admissions Decision: Can’t remember, but it was at least 2 weeks after application
Engineering admission: 11/7

Absolutely no engineering ECs

Edit to add: Honors Bio, Honors Chem, Honors Physics, AP Bio(5), AP Physics
School has no computer science/programming classes

@anxious_stdnt , do you know if they look at the subscores? My son (post right above yours) only got a 1240 on his SAT but his Math subscore was the same as yours.

@EngMom21 I’m sure they do, since they’re looking for Calc/Phys readiness and the subscores would give a clearer view of that than the overall score

I also wanted to say that I was at Aggie Info Day yesterday and they mentioned several things in the engineering session, such as the 25 by 25 plan. I’m not going to go into that since my main point is what the Dean said about female applicants. On top of the 25 by 25 plan, she also wants the college to be 36% (or around that) female, compared to the current 25ish%

@EngMom21 What is his math break down score?
While full admit is possible to CStat, he might be offered engineering at Galveston. The first year for that program was for the Class 2020. It is the same general engineering program as at CStat, they student just takes the first year classes in Galveston, instead of CStat. They apply to their major in the same way that the students in CStat do and they will automatically be in CStat sophomore on. No transfering required. There are several threads on it in Class 2021 thread.
The other possibility is one of the engineering academies. There are many parents of Galveston and Academy students on the FB Aggies Parent page and they are thankful for the program and their students are doing well. Their application to major is a little different in the timing. The academies have been great for those not ready to hit the ground running from day one. And trust me, that is important.

My Aggie was National Merit commended and a strong student all around, esp in math, and there are a lot of adjustments he wasn’t prepared for from high school. He even had an internship at an aerospace corporation on A days in high school and traveled to another campus for a class, was a section leader in percussion in marching band, wind symphony all 4 years, and state awards in percussion, 4 years Project Lead the Way. So knew how to manage time/be organized when it was structured for him. He can also be lazy and procrastinate when it came time for structuring his own time. And engineering takes more time than they/we realize.

Don’t be worried about which decision he gets. Admissions will put him where he needs to be, where they think he will be most successful. And in the end, that is what everyone wants.

@Thelma2 , his math subscore was 640. Honestly, I have no idea what happens to him in tests. He tutors half the kids in his calculus and physics class and then scores lower on the SAT. He’s taken it twice so it wasn’t a one time thing. I agree with you that we ultimately want him where he will succeed and if he ends up with the degree in the end, the pathway isn’t the most important thing. He has been offered an internship from one of his scout leaders in CS for all four years if he majors in ME at A&M. That is his main motivator for being in CStat rather than elsewhere. But, I suppose one or two less years of that opportunity should he be offered another avenue is not the end of the world. This is just such a stressful time!

Does he have safeties somewhere else for engineering? UT Arlington or UT Dallas? Getting into Mech E at CStat is difficult. It is highly sought after as one of the #1 majors. Since he’s good at math, that is a good thing. Testing can be tricky. There are three semester tests in Math 151 & 152 and the final. The second semester test is just before the Q drop date. Lot’s of decisions are made then.
The third semester test for my son is Monday after Thanksgiving. He’s going back Saturday morning. Will take the final 10 days later.
Anyone applying to major at the end of their sophomore year (April) in Cstat or Galveston with a 3.5 is guaranteed their major of choice. They take your 2 math (Calculus 151 & 152), 2 science (Chem 107/117 & Physics 218) and 2 engr 111 & 112 classes overall GPA into consideration too. And spots fill up. It is a risk if he HAS to have ME. And 4 years is taking 16-17 hours semester. Consider it a 5 year degree at 15 hours a semester unless he can do online for some classes or his internship will let him do summer school. My son’s internship in summer with the aerospace corp will only allow him online courses, so somewhat limited for him in what is available online. A&M offers some online and those go towards your GPA but they not much less, if any, cheaper than a regular class. My son did his through local community college and transferred it.

@Thelma2 Yes, he is accepted in ME at UT Dallas, Texas Tech (with a good amount of scholarship), and Baylor. He’ll have to ask about what the internship allows, but I would rather him take 5 years and do his best than try to finish in 4 years and suffer. We live in a very small town so the closest cc is Blinn actually.

BTW, does AIS only update once in the morning? Or will it update throughout the day? Anyone know?

@Thelma2
Application date- 8/13
UIN- 8/15
University admission 9/21
Engineering admission 11/21
ACT 34 (36 math, 34E, 32R, 34sc)
National Merit Commended
Psat 1440 (690 E, 750M)
Sat 1440 (750 E, 690M) completely focused on improving English portion and had a strange day in math… just didn’t retest since had high ACT
Class rank 7/621

4yrs - PLTW. 2yrs -robotics
10 APs by senior yr.

math/science. Ap Physic 1&2, AP Chem, AP calculus AB. Pre-AP bio, chem, math through pre-Calculus
Leadership-
Vp (jr) and President (sr) of SpanishNHS,
Treasurer of NHS
Band 4 yrs/ section leader - 2

@Thelma2

When did you apply: 10/14
When did you get your UIN: 10/17
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: Nov 21st, Dwight Look College of Engineering(Chemical Engineering)
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Chemical Engineering
Did you get in: Yes!
Honors program: No
Class Rank: 13%
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1420 ( 770- Math)

This thread has been so helpful to us; thanks for all of the info! I’m posting on behalf of my son. Hope this may be helpful to others following the post. The wait is finally over!

Application date- 10/10
UIN- 10/13
University admission 10/17
Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering (Aerospace)
Engineering admission 11/21
SAT-1430 (730- Math)
Class rank-Top 8% (33/431)
2yrs - PLTW
11 APs by senior yr. (including AP Physics C and AP Calc BC)
Leadership-
3 years-captain of varsity tennis team
Mayor’s Youth Council
Southwest Youth Leadership Conference
UIL State Tennis Tournament
NHS
French NHS
Student Council

Congrats @Quillwiel!

@Thelma2
For someone I knewn
When did you apply: 10/09
When did you get your UIN: 10/12
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: Nov 21st, Dwight Look College of Engineering
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: AutoAdmit
Major/College of Choice: ComputerEngineering/science
Did you get in: Yes!
Honors program: May apply
Class Rank: 8%
ACT/SAT : 1470 ( 790- Math), 32(35-Math)