When did you receive your admission decision: Still Waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Construction Science
Class Rank: 50/391 12.7%
SAT: 1140
In State w/ GPA of :3.64
Many extracurriculars and awards
250+ Community Service Hours

I know my stats are low but could anyone help me out with my chances of my admissions.

i got accepted to tamu not so long ago as a review admit. i was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible for me to change my major right now without messing everything up or should i just wait

If I have hardly any volunteer hrs, do you think I have a chance at being accepted?

@WaitingAgg did you post your other stats earlier? @AggieMomhelp or @Thelma2 would likely need more info if not.

does anyone know if tamu (or any other university) takes into account high school ranking? my high school is top 50 in the US based on its USNews ranking and Iā€™m hoping this really does help me especially since my gpa is a bit lacking (3.3 unweighted). Iā€™m guessing my school is a lot harder than most and I really donā€™t want to be punished in the college application process for going to such a demanding school.

Applying to engineering by the way

@Andy05 TAMU does not take your schoolā€™s ranking into consideration. They want to see how well you perform among your peers.

that sucks
Iā€™m seen as average-lower than average for only having a 3.3 with 9 APā€™s at my school while at many other schools it looks like that many APā€™s are only taken by those at the top of their class

@WaitingAgg: For the TAMU holistic reviewed students, they look at the whole package, including SAT/ACT scores, class rank, rigor of classes, Letters of Recommendation, Extra Curricular activities, leadership roles, volunteer hours and or work experience, etc.
What are your SAT/ACT scores? I saw a post where you mention just being outside of (I think it was) Top 10% but I canā€™t find your SAT/ACT scores.

My opinion about the volunteer hours is that the reviewers want to know that a student does more outside of the classroom than just sit in their room and play on their phone/computer. Exactly what they do is less important than if they can show that they are involved in SOMETHING and can manage their time wisely, whether it is a time consuming EC like Band or a team sport, a sport outside of school, volunteering through school or with their church, a job, etc. This is just my opinion based on the experience of my 2 Aggie daughters.

My oldest was HS class of 2012, was a TAMU review applicant at HS class rank 27% with a weighted gpa above 5 on a 6 point scale and at or above the SAT/ACT scores for Academic admission for 2012. She was in a very time consuming EC team on campus for 3 years with a leadership position. She did not volunteer during the school year but went on mission trips with her church group for 3 Summers. She had several AP classes, DC English and 4 years of a foreign language. She applied in mid October of 2011 and was offered full admission in mid-February of 2012. She lived a wonderful Aggie life, joined a Sorority and made great friends and great grades. :slight_smile: With her AP and DC credits, she could have graduated a semester early, but she chose to stay 4 years and graduated from TAMU in May of 2016. She received a job offer on her first interview and is gainfully employed in her major. Whoop!! :slight_smile:

My youngest daughter was HS class of 2017, was 53% with an unweighted gpa of 3.5 and a weighted gpa of 4.7 ish, SAT 1250 (670 E/580M) and 27 ACT (I canā€™t remember the sub scores but English was above 30). She had only DC English (6 hours), several pre-AP classes and 2 years of a foreign language. She was in a very time consuming EC team on campus for 4 years (1 JV + 3 Varsity) and joined a competitive team off campus during the Summer before her Senior year. She had no extra time and had NO volunteer hours, not even with our church as she was in training during the Summers. She was eligible for National Honor Society but did not join as she didnā€™t think she could fulfill the volunteer hours requirement. She learned very good time management skills! During her Senior year of HS, most days she left home at 8:30 am and didnā€™t arrive back until after 11:00 pm. She still managed to make mainly As and nothing lower than a B for her Senior year. She had a health issue, a concussion in the 8th grade, which affected her focus and endurance during her Freshman and Sophomore years and contributed to lower math score and lower class rank as she had one semester grade of C in a pre-AP Science or Math class during each of her first 2 HS years. She had great LORs from HS teachers, (one Aggie, one Longhorn). She had an official visit to TAMU, a meeting with an English Department adviser and sat in on an English class in Sept. 2016, before she applied to TAMU in late Nov. 2016. She received her offer of TAMU Blinn-TEAM on Feb. 14, 2017. She is now in her second year of Blinn-TEAM and is LOVING living the Aggie life! She has made great grades and great friends, joined her first choice Sorority and is involved with a TAMU campus based group. The only thing that she cannot do is be on an NCAA team for TAMU, in everything else, she is a full Aggie while on TAMU Blinn-TEAM. She was well prepared for TAMU and is managing her time well.

My point is that it is important to do SOMETHING with your time outside of school, but chasing volunteer hours just to rack them up for the sake of racking them up isnā€™t necessarily the way to show TAMU that you can manage your time wisely. If you were in a very time consuming EC, or had a leadership position in your EC, or had a part time job, or made a commitment to a couple of volunteer places, especially if they tie into your projected major, those are all good things. Just my opinion, though! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

@Andy05 What quarter did TAMU place you if your school doesnā€™t rank? My son is a 3.76 uw and was placed in 1st quarter by admissions.

@AggieMomhelp thanks for posting your kiddos info. It is nice to see possible scenarios and reminds me that our journey is not over. Keeping the faith!

@sportingclaymom i was also put into 1st quarter and my school doesnā€™t rank. My sat was 1510 (790 math and 720 reading) if that matters for ranking

@Andy05 Iā€™d say your chances are quite good to be admitted for engineering but the more tenured folks on here would be better suited to guess.

@sportingclaymom i sure hope so! itā€™s one of my top choices but since Iā€™m out of state tuition is a problem. If I can get enough financial aid or get in state tuition Iā€™ll go for sure

@Andy05 Iā€™m kind of surprised that you havenā€™t been admitted yet. Arenā€™t you academic admit?

I have a somewhat of a feeling that they took your school into account. I say this because a 3.3 GPA is low for 1st quarter, yet they put you in 1st quarter, which meant that they took into account your school.

Donā€™t worry, 1st quarter is as good as it gets for schools that donā€™t rank.

@goodperson200 i donā€™t think I am since Iā€™m not in the top 25% of my class. Iā€™m also out of state (Florida)

@Andy05

How can you not be in the top 25% of your class?

You just posted yesterday that A&M assigned you first quarter.

@sportingclaymom i was also put into 1st quarter and my school doesnā€™t rank. My sat was 1510 (790 math and 720 reading) if that matters for ranking

Does anyone know if the big January wave of review admit decisions have already come out? Trying to know if I need to calm my nerves and just wait for Feb at this point?

@aggieTay01 no one knows really - there have been reports of admissions on 1/11 but most we have heard about were for engineering majors waiting to hear if they were accepted into engineering. But we have heard sporadic reports of other review admits receiving acceptances. We, too, are hoping there is another ā€œbigā€ wave coming. :-SS [-O<

@aggieTay01, The recently updated AIS portal banner text references an upcoming January review. From this, reasonable to keep looking for a January wave. So no, you should keep those nerves anxiousā€¦;-))

@Thelma2 my school doesnā€™t report ranking but when I asked my college counselor about my ranking she estimated me to be around the 45th percentile

I donā€™t know why I was given 1st quarter by tamu