TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I should’ve been more clear, got too excited for a second ? yes, she requested her transcripts at her high school because she needed an updated one for applying to local scholarships, not A&M ones :relaxed:

@eTown23 1/31? Is that a rumored date of review wave? I haven’t been checking on this thread in the last few days so I’m not sure if I missed something

@nervoustamumommy check out @AggieMomhelp’s post #2223.

@Chief134 @KWAGGIE Nothing from your Senior year will be considered. They only look at the first 6 semesters of high school and all docs had to be in by Dec 3, since Dec 1 fell on a Sat.

@nervousmommy It is a date I threw out there sometime back. I said the 21st and 31st and we did get on engineering decision around the 21st/22nd. AggieMomHelp says another for engineering is yet to come out. Let’s hope that it is a mixed major release.

just got CAP from UT, not surprised, only a little sad. haven’t heard back from a&m yet but utsa is looking like the school for me lol! hope a&m gets back to me some time soon so I can plan!!

I just got CAPPED from UT and saw a rejection letter from UNC Chapel Hill for computer science. Guess I’m going to A&M at this point.

I just got CAPPED from UT tonight, so i thought I’d hop on the a&m thread. I was admitted to Texas A&M awhile back, but I didn’t get my choice of major. I applied fairly close to December 1st, so the business school had reached capacity and I was granted admittance under economics. Is there any way to attend a&m and transfer into mays?? Does capacity mean that people have confirmed that they are going? Anything would help!

My understanding is that universities who limit enrollment in particular colleges and majors have a pretty good idea of what percentage of students offered admission will choose to attend based on historical data. So, they don’t open up spots in May’s or Engineering based on whether or not students confirm attendance. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the possibility of transferring into Mays later.

@aaahhhhcollege You could consider UT Dallas. They have a great CS program. Priority application ended Jan 15 but regular application deadline is May 1 for Fall 2019.

Aggiemomhelp What do you ,ean by Eng and Viz are review? Once admissions says yes, then you get “reviewed” by those departments? My daughter is a sophomore and is currently interested in Viz. She’s worrying already?

@ultimom my daughter transferred in to Mays her sophomore year with a 3.879 GPA at TAMU. They allow 100 change of majors and it is competitive. You need at least 30 hours to apply for change of major in to Mays.

Anyone know if the portal being down for some time point to any good signs? still trying to stay positive lol

@cottoncandy1
Your son’s stats were
Major: Mays/Architecture
SAT: 1100

ACT:23
Applied: 10-Jul

@Wintdurr Cottoncandy1 is correct. Internal change of majors is limited to 100 students and it is VERY competitive. Below 3.8 is not considered competitive, though the minimum to apply is much lower. For change of major, you have to have 30 graded hours at A&M but no more than 60 total college credit hours as well as the curriculum requirements.
This is the economics course sheet
http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/liberal-arts/economics/bs/#programrequirementstext
With an interest to transfer, Mays requires at lease 4 of the course requirements to be met. A competitive applicant will have more. For Instance, Under College and University Requirements, where it lists ENGL 104 (which both majors require) and to select one of the following, you would select COMM 203 because Mays requires it also. As for Math, economics allows for MATH 141 or or MATH 166. You would chose to take MATH 141 because Mays requires it also. Economic Math electives are MATH 131, 151 or or MATH 142. I would chose MATH 142 because Mays requires that as a first position but MATH 131 would be ok. But I would take MATH 142 because that might carry more weight against other applicants. What will be tricky is economics has choices as major electives and lists ACCT 209 and 210. I wouldn’t take those but would take ACCT 229 and if at all possible, ACCT 230, as Mays requires these in the major. You don’t have to have them all finished but the more competitive applicant will have a lot completed.
Then, if you don’t get into Mays, you are not off track on the Economics major.
Mays Change of Major https://mays.tamu.edu/undergraduate-enrollment-plan-2016-2018/

Another thing that might interest you, is if you don’t get into Mays and stick with Economics, there is a 5 year program where you earn your undergrad and a Masters degree. The pages will open to the overview of the program. Click Program Requirements for specifics on the Master classes.
Bachelors in Economics and Masters in International Affairs
http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/liberal-arts/economics/ba-mia/
Bachelors in Economics and Masters in Public Service and Administration http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/liberal-arts/economics/bs-mpsa/#text
Bachelors in Economics and Master of Science in Economics
http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/liberal-arts/economics/ba-mia/

@aspiringaggie The Portal down on a weekend for maintenance just means the portal is down for maintenance.

@Thelma2 thank you !!

Here is a great tool for determining your cost of tuition and fees by major and term. All majors do not cost the same. If you are an engineering major, expect your tuition and fees to be higher than an Education or Business major. You can also compare the costs for a specific major based on if you select the variable tuition or the fixed tuition.

The fixed rate costs more than the variable. In our history of paying tuition at the variable option for the engineering major (just paid for 6th semester) the tuition and fees has been very consistent, if not exact same for 12 hours+.

https://tuition.tamu.edu/

I just got capped last night from UT, I am now worrying a lot about TAMU. (TAMU has been my first choice) I have been accepted into UTSA and I’m still waiting on Baylor.
When did you apply: 11/8
When did you get your UIN: 11/10
When did you receive your admission decision: Have not received decision yet (as of 1/26)
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Allied health/ public health
Class Rank: 80/666 (12.01%)
SAT (with Sub Scores) : 1180

• Math: 560
  • Reading/Writing: 620
    GPA 3.88 weighted

I have several extra-curricular such as debate (4 years) and NHS/Spanish Honor Society. I was VP of SHS. I also have taken several AP classes (12 total). I also have had an internship with an pediatrician and volunteer often. Do I have a decent chance of getting in???

Kinda losing hope on getting accepted to A&M or even getting BLINN TEAM… but I still really do want to go to A&M. If you get PSA do they allow you to apply to schools within the A&M system where I can apply even if their deadline has ended (aka Tarelton State or TAMUG) so I can transfer to TAMU College Station? It is the only school thag I’ve looked at with the best ROTC program (Been accepted to Baylor and Iowa State both with large sums of financial aid, but still too expensive). I still am hoping to get BLINN Team at this point, posted my stats a while back was told I was 50/50 with BLINN TEAM.

@ske123 You already know full admissions is slim for most review admits, compared to the overall numbers for full admission being through the top 10% and Academic Admits.
It has been mentioned here repeatedly that Blinn Team and Gateway admission decisions do not come out until February (last year saw 2 admission release dates for both)
Why are you getting discouraged before the month those decisions are even released?

Anytime one asks to be chanced, all anyone can do is give you their best guess based on what they have seen in past cycles. No one can see your application file or know what the competition is you are up against.

PSA stands for the Program for System Admission. When students are denied freshman admission, they are typically given the opportunity to attend a system institution with the goal of transferring to TAMU after one year.

TAMU uses predetermined class rank/test scores minimums to qualify you for guaranteed admission at various System Institutions. Most students are eligible for automatic admission at all 8 System Institutions, but some students aren’t.
The big advantage of PSA is that it does indeed provide a GUARANTEE of admission for any students who successfully satisfy the requirements. It GUARANTEES admission into a specific major as well.

If you get a PSA offer, A&M will offer you which schools you are eligible and you select one if more than one is listed. Your info is then submitted to that school by TAMU so it doesn’t matter if the application deadline has passed. Don’t dilly dally in your selection as the system schools have limited space for PSA students and those spots can fill up quickly.

Not every major is offered through the PSA route. All of that is listed here http://admissions.tamu.edu/psa

Tarleton application deadline for Fall is March 1. You could apply there now as a back up in case you get PSA and it is not on your PSA offer.

@cpacestx :
my daughter, OOS, first quarter, review was offered full admission to CStat on Jan 11, but Viz was already full. I even spoke to the department by phone the following Monday.
She is currently in review for Eng, and we are hoping for an admit.
If not she may not attend A&M as she was only interested in Viz or the college of Engineering.
The School of Arch said all Majors were full, when an spoke to an advisor a few weeks ago.
You may want to call on Monday.
My DS was willing to consider another Arch major, but she could not switch to one. :frowning:

@ske123 You might consider applying to TAMU Galveston directly as a back up plan. App deadline is March 1. They have the Corp program there as well as Navy ROTC option. Plus you can opt to change major (upon qualification) 2nd year and move to CStat. My son has been accepted to TAMUG (still waiting on review from CStat). As so many have wisely stated, there are many paths to get to TAMU-CStat, just need to decide what works best for you :slight_smile: