TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieMomhelp thank you so much! now one last question. I just wanna reiterate what you said and make sure it applys to me also: If i get offered the Engineering Academy at Galveston, I can switch my major so that I can take my courses in College Station?

@aggiemomhelp From what I know it is considered full admit just like Cstat but you are offered a specific campus. They do not seem to refer to it as a “pathway” but maybe it actually is vs just another full admit offer. So if by a God given miracle she is accepted and placed at McAllen then she would likely just change her major to be at Cstat.

@ACP19TAMU23 here’s what happened to a friend of mines son. Top 2% but low sat. They gave him Blinn eng academy OR the option to change his major to non engineering and be full time on cstat campus. So I say this because he was auto admit. If a student is not auto or academic admit I can’t be sure the same applies.

@AggieDreamin it’s an alternative admission but states they can’t change major until the complete one year. It falls under the same type of decision as Blinn Team, engineering academies etc. it is not the same as PSA or PTA.

@AggieMomhelp so would it be better to try and change it now? I guess I was just thinking that they are likely locked and loaded already with their decisions since they will come this week.

@AggieMomhelp so being 10 points off on my sat could really cost me :confused: thanks though i appreciate the info

@AggieMomhelp and @AggieDreamin - Maybe I am reading the “Alternative pathways” differently. But I get different, regional vibe from the wording.

Higher Education Center at McAllen (HECM) offers a uniquely designed degree options specially tailored to meet the needs in the Rio Grande Valley. Students begin their college career at HECM and may change campuses after one year.

The “meet the needs in the Rio Grande Valley” says to me that it is used regionally - but open to anyone who applies or says they are interested.

@ACP19TAMU23 nooo this kid like got below an 1100. He didn’t try at all. Your stats are good. I think you have a great chance. I was just giving example of how tamu had to give him the option since he wa auto vs someone who is not. I have no idea if one hasn’t been accepted by tamu yet if they would then have that option to change majors if offered academy.

I agree @BlueBayouAZ I think that other than engineering, it wouldn’t be a go to for Bims since so rio grande regionally focuses to give back to the area. And this is the first I’ve heard or realized that it’s even an offer for non eng majors.

@AggieMomhelp thank you!

@ACP19TAMU23 Changing majors at this point would be very limited and no guarantee. I will not advise you either way. That is your choice based on the info you have.
You wouldn’t be able to get into IDIS until the first opportunity in spring of freshman year if you satisfied the general engineering requirements.

@DaughterEngineer Without going back to look at the stats, if you want engineering and still waiting on a decision, though Galveston is an admissions decision for general engineering, one cannot apply for that at Galveston. I have not looked at the Ocean engineering major to see if it is the same as general engineering at CStat.
An apply direct engineering academy would be the next best thing. Those open March 1. There are engineering academies through the San Antonio CC system as well as El Centro in Dallas and also Blinn at Brenham and Austin Community college.

Transferring into the engineering major at CStat is difficult. It not the same as change of major or the transition that general engineering students have that receive Galveston as an admission decision. Transfer’s to engineering are lower priority over the freshman applying to a major, then the 3rd and 4th general engineering students and then transfers. There are some semesters that there are not any seats open for transfers or you could count the seats on one hand.

Don’t jump ship just yet but do have a back up plan if you are not offered full, GV or Engr Academy at Blinn.

@learner234 AggieMomHelp anwered this on the 17th and I gave you my input on the 23rd.
Applicants with your test scores but in 2Q typically are offered Galveston or Blinn Team. Depends on what they think of your whole admissions file.

@AggieMomhelp there were applicants who were offered McAllen Higher learning center at McALlen last year that were BIMS. Ag Life Science, Nutrition,

It looks like Engineering at McAllen is no longer an admission decision but the Higher Learning Center is. From the website:

If we are unable to offer you admission, you may be offered one of the following options (fall applicants only):

Aggie Gateway to Success is a summer provisional admission program that gives students a unique chance to gain full admission to the university the following fall semester. Due to coursework limitations, students with more than 40 hours of college credit are not eligible to participate in the Gateway program.

Texas A&M University Blinn Team Program is a collaborative admission program between Texas A&M University and Blinn College. Students are co-enrolled at both institutions. Due to coursework limitations, students with more than 40 hours of college credit are not eligible to participate in TEAM.

Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan provides students an opportunity to pursue their engineering degree in a co-enrollment program between Texas A&M University and Blinn College-Bryan Campus.

Engineering at Galveston provides students an opportunity to begin their engineering studies on the Texas A&M Galveston campus and complete their engineering degree in College Station as part of the College of Engineering. Students are eligible to change campuses after one year through the Entry-To-A-Major process.

Higher Education Center at McAllen (HECM) offers a uniquely designed degree options specially tailored to meet the needs in the Rio Grande Valley. Students begin their college career at HECM and may change campuses after one year.

Program for System Admission (PSA) offers students who are denied freshman admission the opportunity to enroll in a Texas A&M system school for one year with the intention of achieving guaranteed transfer admission to Texas A&M College Station upon successful completion of the program.

@thelma2 McAllen is such a different “place” I just don’t get why that’s even a pathway offer but yes definition not a full admission. I’m sure this will change again next year lol

Thanks for copying that from admissions. I couldn’t do that on my phone ?

@AggieMomhelp good to hear. I’m just guessing, but I would think if acceptance into the Engineering Academy at Galveston is considered full admission, you could change majors to be in CSTAT. just a guess, if thats what happens then let’s hope I’m right. If I don’t receive anything by February 3rd does that mean I’m headed towards an academy?

Hey all, are there any more spots for engineering at college station?
Thank you

@ACP19TAMU23 no way to tell about the feb 3rd date and what it will mean if you don’t hear. And I don’t know if you can change your major that quickly to be full time at cstat. All majors have requirements to change even within cstat campus. I am curious to know though if you can change before new student conference if offered Galveston eng.

@ChiefShah134 no way to tell but if I had to guess I would say yes there are still cstat spots.

@AggieMomhelp I think they do consider HECM full admissions, as a student can apply to change campuses after 1 year, same as Galveston and students there can earn an Aggie ring.

@ACP19TAMU23 @AggieDreamin On Jan 16, the Admissions Officer on TexAgs answered a question regarding change of major and said: “Change of major would be extremely limited at this point. The request would be made through Contact Us on your AIS page or change of major option through your Howdy portal. It would be decided on a case by case basis. Change of major is not guaranteed”.

ACP19TAMU23: “If i get offered the Engineering Academy at Galveston, I can switch my major so that I can take my courses in College Station?”
As a review applicant for engineering, you will not be offered any other option than what you are given in the engineering major.

If you are offered engineering at Galveston, you will take your first year of general engineering classes at Galveston campus and only after you have completed general engineering satisfactorily and applied to a major, THEN you will TRANSITION to A&M for the remainder of your degree.

If offered Galveston, You cannot switch your major to be able to take courses at College Station. Students at Galveston may apply to change curriculum to any major offered at the Galveston campus or at the College Station campus as long as they meet the requirements of the intended major. There is criteria to meet. It isn’t that simple or cut and dry. http://www.tamug.edu/admissions/Change_of_Curriculum.html

If you are offered the Engineering Academy at Blinn, you are co-enrolled at the Rellis Campus and College Station campus.

Only Top 10% admits and Academic Admits who apply for engineering and are not offered full admissions to Engineering at College Station are given alternative choices for a major or campus.

@ChiefShah134 There better be. It’s not fair if they run out of room just because people applied early. That’s the bad thing about rolling admissions. Say, Chief I gotta respect you for that username.

I looked at a site on TAMU and it said all people who applied engineering by regular deadline would have a decision my mid January and early action would be by mid December. ChiefPablo134 still has not received a decision so should he expect a rejection. (I accidentally closed the TAMU site and cannot find it)