TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

So my son applied with computer science mostly b/c that’s what he likes and thinks he’d be good at. He is not hard set on it, and figures his first year is about figuring out where his strengths/passions lie. His portal has not changed a bit and I’m wondering if because he put CS/CE does that kind of screw him in the acceptances? Should he have applied as “undecide” or liberal arts?

so my DS received the message that she can attend Blinn/Bryan or Galveston as an engineering pathway, or choose a completely different major and be fully enrolled at CStat.
She is set on engineering. She would like to live on campus, possible with the Corps, and she has no car.
We are OOS.
How “difficult” is it to be on Blinn Team for an OOS student who wants to live at CStat, be in the Corps? Like getting to and from, etc. Logistics. Thank you!

@DaughterEngineer Galveston is full time TAMU but a couple of hours away from Cstat. Blinn Bryan Academy is local and but part time TAMU campus and part time Blinn campus (10 minutes away tops). So really it’s just a preference of what she wants to do. @thelma2 said she would do Galveston and she has a ton of experience with Engineering so maybe talk with her more directly when she’s available. For me, it’s about location and knowing that she doesn’t have to move again after year one AND that she would be a full fledged Aggie on Cstat campus (Yell practice, sports, etc.). So see what Thelma has to say and talk with your daughter on how she wants to pursue her degree here.

@rockmom21 Shuttles take students to and from Blinn campus in Bryan to the MSC on campus at TAMU. Super easy to not have a car here. Grocery places deliver and we have uber and it’s just not necessary even though convenient to have a car. Also with our airport being right here she can fly in and out OR out of Houston or Austin and take the ground shuttle (super nice and easy and it’s $35 one way). Just FYI.

@dyinginhs your majors you listed are irrelevant at this point. Changing them will not make a difference on whether you are given full admit or TEAM or PSA.

@Learner234 Not sure if all academy offers have been extended or not. With @DaughterEngineer stating she also has the option to change her major and be full time at Cstat campus, I’m not sure if only auto/academic admits are getting this banner at this time or if it’s all engineering students waiting to hear.

@rdhdstpchld Depending on stats, applying under engineering if not an auto/academic admit is tricky. If you’re close in stats, then it could be good. If not… I’m not sure how they process the application.

@learner234 my Howdy has not changed this was on my ais page where it use to say your application is complete and in review.

@AggieMomhelp i posted my stats today in the forum… there is no change in my AIS and there are only 3 tabs in Howdy!. Does this mean that i am not admitted?

@Sriramkrish0110 Sorry, I missed your post earlier. Found it… I’m going to say based on your SAT scores, you will not be admitted to TAMU. If review admits are receiving the academy decision/options today, then my guess is you will not be receiving this offer either. Your best bet is to apply directly to one of the academies. Go to how to be admitted and see where to go and what’s offered. Now If I’m wrong and jumping the gun… I’ll be really happy for everyone still waiting.

Thank you so much @AggieMomhelp this is excellent news!!!

So i have to apply to other academies directly? Which should i go for. Since i have no idea which would be my next best option! @AggieMomhelp

I have a curious question - what is Blinn’s max capacity? Surely with local residents and TAMU’s overflow, they will reach max capacity enrollment at some point? Just wondering…

@jaceyk The Team has a capacity, I’m sure, but not sure. Blinn itself will not have a capacity so that is always an option. Go there for a semester or 2 and apply directly to major at TAMU. Easy transition just need to watch requirements for intended major. That needs to be done regardless of Team or Community college. Advisors are good and do their best, but you and your student need to advocate and research for yourself.

@Sriramkrish0110 Here’s the link… https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/academies/index.html Research away!

@DaughterEngineer, we received the Engineering team offer this morning, everything as you described in your post this morning. It’s a realistic outcome as my DS is a Q2 applicant. We chose TEAB, I am sure Galveston is a good option as well. Many A&M full admits take classes at Blinn community college because they register late and A&M campus classes are full, some do it because of the perception that cc classes are easier, some do it because tuition is cheaper for the same class at cc. As of 2013, A&M engineering school had a 55% graduation rate, that means 45% of them found happiness somewhere else. I am a true believer that it’s not where you start, we are not A&M’s first choice, but we are given the oppotunity to take the same freshman engineering weed-out classes at A&M, we could be the 55% who become Aggie Engineers :)>-

@AggieMomhelp Thanks for that link. Looked onto it but doesnt seem im going for any of those as they dont look like a good option for an international student since my chances of getting a visa will be less when i want a community college… now can i apply to Galveston or wtamu? And then transfer to college station campus?

Ok peoples, let’s all breathe… IN…OUT…IN…OUT

It appears some engineering decisions went out today and those that received a decision were offered Galveston, which is full admission can choose a provisional acceptance to one of the engineering academies.

This does not mean all decisions for Galveston or the Academies have been released, just that those who they are offering the choice to have been released.

It would not surprise me if there are more releases for engineering applicants that are offered only Galveston or only one of the engineering academies. It appears many more are still waiting a decision. Last cycle, Galveston as an only decision and the engineering academies as an only decision (not a choice of one or the other, came out in February. I expect that still, based on what we have seen today.

Since you all applied for engineering, I assume that major is more important over location. Galveston is considered full admission and once you satisfy the engineering core curriculum, you will Apply To A Major (called ETAM). When you apply in April of your freshman year, you learn your decision in late June. You will seamlessly transition to College Station for the remainder of your degree. Yes, it does mean moving but most freshmen move out of the dorms at the end of school anyway. Moving is not so big of a deal as getting into your major.

The Galveston program is the exact same as what it is in College station except classes are smaller and people find friend groups a lot easier. It is a very cohesive experience instead of being one of 4500 engineering freshmen in College Station.

There is an Aggie Mom who has a son in the program at Galveston currently who was waiting to share their experience until the Galveston decisions came out. I am going to notify her shortly, if she doesn’t already know by now.

The engineering academies are provisional acceptances and are definitely worth it, especially if you don’t think you are strong in math and physics.

Know that the math and physics classes weed out 40-45% of students from the engineering program. Some leave A&M and others go into other majors.You will not get your preferred major without A LOT of HARD work It is not an easy degree. You have to be able to do the curriculum to be able to take the FE test before you graduate and the final test to become a PE. It will be harder than any high school class you have taken whether AP or Stem School. You have applied to a top academically competitive university in a highly ranked major. If you have little to no social life, your doing it right. You will study that much.

Last year, the last round of full admissions to College Station came out January 30
Galveston is considered full admissions so those offered several options may be like the last admissions offer last year.
Blinn Engineering Academy only offers came out February 8 and 12.
McAllen Engineering Academy only offers came out February 12
Galveston only offers came out February 12 and 13

Don’t give up hope. February isn’t here yet. Since my son class 2020, I have never seen admissions be finished before the third week in February, except for PSA in March

My son did not receive the engineering academy offer. His quick stats are 1st quarter, SAT 1360 with 720 math. Missed academic admit by 10 verbal SAT points. I felt hopeful about an Academy admit for him but know I do not know what to think. Trying to be patient! I’ll let you know what we all eventually find out.

@KeetsMom same as me. I have an SAT of 1360 and am 1st Quarter. Missed academic admit by 10 verbal points. Haven’t received an academy offer or full admission yet at all.

@Connor1c so we are not alone! It’s stressful. I hope we both get good news soon. My nerves can’t take much more. Lol!

@Connor1c did you apply engineering?

@learner234 I did apply to engineering. I picked Computer science for my major