TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

How difficult is it to be accepted with a sociology major? Any word if the Liberal Arts department is full?

@rtjhopefulmom Liberal arts does not fill up. I would expect another wave, probably this week. Not sure how big. But we really havenā€™t seen a big review wave yet. Hang in there.

@jjjmom While his rank isnā€™t the highest, his test scores are great. I would expect at the minimum a Team offer.

@AgMomClassof03 have you read any of the previous posts on this thread? many of your questions can be answered just by reviewing the last few days of posts. there is also a thread dedicated to engineering applicants here: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2101021-tamu-class-of-2023-engineering-admission-decisions.html#latest

congrats to your son!

Howdy All! I donā€™t know if it will help or not, but the exasperation some of us are feeling is not exclusive to TAMU. Iā€™ve been following another discussion thread for one of our state schools (Pa) my son applied to (wait listed by the way) and itā€™s the same educated guessing, frustration and elation.
I am so proud my son will be Aggie this fall, but I (like every mom) wouldā€™ve been proud of him no matter where he ended up. Iā€™m still praying for you all!!

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2
When did you apply: 10/02
Have you received a decision: no
Review/ Auto-Admit/ Academic Admit: Review
Major: Allied Health
Class Rank: School does not rank(private and very competitive)
GPA: 3.342
SAT: 1250
ACT: 26 (28 superscore)
Resume: Girl Scout Gold Award, 100+ service hours, National charity League Member, involved in lots of clubs/organizations (Secretary for a club), active on the lacrosse team all 4 years, honor roll student all 4 years, has been on a mission trip

What do you think my chances are for getting a full admission into A&M or if not that Blinn Team?? Iā€™m so nervous waiting. Also when do you think I will receive a decision?

Hey you guys, this is the article from the conference I went to. Now at least youā€™ll know Iā€™m not crazy, lol. Hopefully the moderator will let this go through. Itā€™s from our local paper, The Eagle. So if it doesnā€™t post, check it out. It might seem dim, but it explains what they are thinking and where weā€™re heading.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-eyes-slightly-smaller-incoming-freshman-class-for/article_b0df2a42-243e-5a62-a4d0-4585a0c88115.html

@AggieMomhelp Iā€™ve never thought you were crazy! LOL. thanks for postingā€¦I look forward to reading.

@AggieMomHelp That is an unbelievably low number of review admits (2k) for full admission. :frowning: At this point, we are hoping for, at the very least, Team Blinn. Anything else wonā€™t work for him. So with that said, I am pretty certain he wonā€™t hear anything this week - guess it will be week of 2/11 (historically speaking).

Well it is understandable @AggieMomhelp. But disappointing for those of us with students waiting.

Good Morning! I am still excited and surprised that my son made it into full engineering at CSTAT. Donā€™t get me wrong. He deserves it and will do very well. But honestly there are others here who may be more qualified. So many excellent applicants! Who knows what tips the scales!

I wanted to say ā€œthank youā€ to the parents on this forum, esp @Thelma2, for helping me stay sane over 4.5 months of worry. People in your daily life do not want to hear you fixate about college acceptance hopes, fears, possible scenerios, etc. Having someone to listen and give advice is amazing. THANK YOU!!

@AggieMomhelp Any guess on how many will be offered Blinn Team? I havenā€™t seen any specific stats for this.

@tisulli Thank you!

I think itā€™s a pretty high number like 4k historically. More than review admits it seems. I think @BlueBayouAZ posted admissions profile from last year or 2017 at some point. If I have time later, Iā€™ll try to find it.

I thought the article was crazy too as far as how few review admits they give out, but keep your chins up people. Why wouldnā€™t your student be one of those 2000? Keep the faith.

@AggieMomhelp thanks! I looked through the doc from @BlueBuyouAZ but didnā€™t see specifically Blinn-Team but I might have just missed it.

@aggiedreamin I found a response from Thelmaā€¦ she had the counselor update from 2017. Hereā€™s that link.

http://web-as.tamu.edu/ecardimages/2017/CounselorConnection/updateSPRING.html

This is what I posted @AggieDreamin - the ā€œReview Alternativeā€ is TEAM and Gateway together. I recall Gateway being around 400 or 500. So TEAM is a little over 3000.

This is from a 2018 slide presented by the office of admissions. Freshman class 22 by the numbers. 41,760 total applicants.
Admits:
26.7% - Top 10% 11,159
11.1% - Academic 4,646
9.9% - Review full 4,115
9.1% - Review Alternative 3,813

27.6% -PSA 11,518
15.6% - Denied 6,509 (when I went with my daughter to a regional TAMU application workshop meeting - they said the majority of the denials were incomplete or late applications)

So I looked at further - to see the distribution of the Holistic Review applicants - I removed the Top 10, Academic, and Denials/incomplete. That left 19,446 of what I would term competitive holistic review applications.

59.2% - PSA
21.1% - Review full
19.6% - Review alternative

For those who have a Blinn Team offer, I want to share my positive experience. My oldest is a sophomore at TAMU. He was in the top 10.3% and had a 1280 on the SAT. He wants to be a corporate lawyer. He picked 2 majors in Mays and was given Blinn Team option. He was crushed. He felt cheated, mourned a bit, then accepted. He began Blinn Team with something to prove! He lived in Park West and felt very much a part of TAMU, got an all sports pass, was matched with roommates who were both TAMU and Blinn Team. He mostly hated driving across town for Blinn classes. He was able to transfer to full TAMU after 2 semesters, but to economics (which was a better fit- loves it!). He needed a 3.8 to transfer to Mays. He made 2 "B"s his freshman year, so Mays was off the table. It was certainly cheaper, but NOT EASIER. He swears many of his professors at Blinn intentionally made the classes hard to not be considered inferior to TAMU. Depends on instructor and class I am sure. He has made "A"s at TAMU and says his classes are easier. The only thing that was difficult was the class enrollment process. Blinn picks classes earlier and pays about a month earlier for each semester. I had to stay on top of him to make sure he met both deadlines. Doable, just a bit more confusing. Anyway, I know Blinn Team seems overwhelming and not what you hoped to be offered. If TAMU is where your student wants to be and your student does not expect to transfer to Mays, it may be a blessing in disguise! We would do it again in a heartbeat.

And there is this - but I think the graphic is from 2017 and not 2018 because the numbers are so different from the DARS data.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/profile

Could you be given the choice of Blinn and Gateway?

@mrsqster Yes, if not given full admission, those are two other pathways they could offer you. Team and Gateway. If you just want to go to Blinn (not TEAM) and then transfer, that is also an option that many choose.