TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

True. I guess my issue is that my son attends a non-ranking school and was assigned Q2 (3.8 - 30 ACT) so I’m not sure how he would be slotted in terms of his precise rank. He submitted a question on his portal in December to understand why he is Q2 but no response was received. He’s confused since a couple classmates with same gpa were assigned Q1 by TAMU. At this point, we are hoping he will be a strong candidate for TEAM.

True. I guess my issue is that my son attends a non-ranking school and was assigned Q2 (3.8 - 30 ACT) so I’m not sure how he would be slotted in terms of his precise rank. He submitted a question on his portal in December to understand why he is Q2 but no response was received. He’s confused since a couple classmates with same gpa were assigned Q1 by TAMU.

@papimama501 Has your son called the admissions office asking why he received that rank when classmates got Q1? Hate that they didn’t respond. :frowning:

@papimama501 That’s frustrating.I would be up at admissions office ASAP if it were me, but I live here, so not much trouble…

And I don’t know if they take class size into account.

One thing that kind of confuses me regarding the top 10% rule in Texas is this… several of my daughters classmates in the top 10% didn’t take the more challenging classes. Same with the top 10% in my older daughters class of 2017. I get that it’s better to take courses you can do great in, rather than classes you may struggle in a bit more, but I don’t see the point in offering advanced classes if it doesn’t benefit the student in the long run. I’m far more impressed that there are kids who take AP and Dual Credit classes that still do amazingly well, as to me, that would be a better indicator of college readiness.

@JaceyK - he did call and they said the most efficient way to get an answer was through the portal and he could select a specific team (can’t remember the name) who assigns the quartiles. So, he did so right after he called but unfortunately no response. We’ve confirmed with his HS that they no longer provide a school profile to the universities so we are even more lost. At this point, I’m sure there is no reason to pursue the answer as it won’t change anything. We are praying TAMU works out since it keeps him in state and is a fantastic choice - he was capped at UT. Otherwise, he will land at OU or LSU with nice scholarship money.

@papamoma501 we can speak from experience that you can miss the 1Q mark by a fraction of a %. You may want to ask your son to request the school profile from his counselor. If they will give it to you, it will show the cutoffs for each quartile. Even though they don’t rank they do provide this information to the universities. Then TAMU takes that info along with test scores and assigns a rank. That being said, and I can’t remember who it was on the forum, but sometimes they will still assess you in 2Q even if you fall within the 1Q of the school profile.

@papimama501 it usually takes about 24 hours for a response. Sounds like the first one got lost in cyber space but don’t give up!

As the population grows - there needs to be other Texas Universities that are has highly regarded as TAMU an UT. I don’t think you want the schools to get that much bigger. Part of their historic strength is an “unfair” advantage set in the Texas constitution back in the 1800s. In the 90s - I believe it played a role in UT and A&M gobbling up schools like East Texas State. The Permanent University Fund (PUF) gives monies to the UT and A&M systems that the Tech Techs, UHs and Texas State’s are not getting.

I think UTD (who gets PUF money) is taking a huge step in positioning itself as the academic alternative to UT and TAMU. Several years ago it elected not to take part in the CAP program. Differentiating itself from the other system schools. And I think Tech is doing a better job attracting students from outside West Texas. When I attended graduate school out there in the late 80s - I can’t recall anybody from East Texas and only one person from the Gulf Coast. Their ability to attract students seemed to end around DFW and maybe San Antonio.

so these are the rumors about acceptances that ive been hearing

1. they are coming out before this saturday
  2. before march 1
  3. mid to late march

anyone know which one seems more likely? im hoping they will come out this week

I doubt anyone really knows but if I were a betting woman I would say all should be in by March 1 but will come in waves over the next few weeks.

I’m shocked we didn’t hear last week… but I guarantee that everyone will hear before March… and I’d push that to say by Valentine’s Day. While yes they have more applications, and yes it’s very competitive, they are only knocking down acceptance by 500 students (give or take) this year. They said they had 2000 full admits left and then Team and Gateway will pop out (if not simultaneously).

@223hopeful several have said A&M Twitter reports ‘by March 1’. I highly doubt by this weekend…but that’s just my speculation.
This thread now saying 52k applications, hence the wait/delay. And Class of 2023 will be smaller-fact.

@52AG82 - I would not go with 52K

This is what the university is officially saying.

“Wootton said the admissions staff has been “reverse-engineering” toward the goal of a slightly smaller class beginning with the application period, which ran from July 1 to Dec. 1 of last year. “What we do is we open the application period along with all the Texas schools, use the Texas common app. … In that time frame, we received just over 49,000 applications, and where we ended it up was just over 42,000 of those were considered complete and in our review process.””

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-eyes-slightly-smaller-incoming-freshman-class-for/article_b0df2a42-243e-5a62-a4d0-4585a0c88115.html

@texag92 @luckyaggie @tamu23plz @BlueBayouAZ @rdhdstpchld @CMR1997 @AggieDreamin

Do y’all know the history behind House Bill 588, aka Top 10% rule?

The bill was created as a means to avoid the stipulations from the Hopwood v. Texas appeals court case banning the use of affirmative action.
It is based on an applicant from California who was denied admissions to UT School of Law, though her undergraduate GPA and LSAT were higher than all but 9 of the 62 admitted. Also, there was lower qualifications for URM to the law school. https://www.cir-usa.org/cases/hopwood-v-texas/. The Center for Individual rights (whom I know nothing about) took up the case for Hopwood. The top 10% rule is considered to be more fair across the board for adversity over affirmative action, as it is inclusive of every minority across the state and not subject to discrimination by admissions at universities.

The Supreme Court ruled in Grutter v. Bollinger (2003) that affirmative action in college admissions was permissible, effectively overruling Hopwood. UT Austin then reinstated affirmative action for the seats not filled by the Top Ten Percent law.

Under legislation approved in May 2009 by the Texas House as part of the 81st Regular Session (Senate Bill 175), UT-Austin (but no other state universities) was allowed to trim the number of students it accepts under the 10% rule; UT-Austin could limit those students to 75 percent of entering in-state freshmen from Texas.

Opponents have blamed the for keeping students not in the top ten percent but with other credentials, such as high SAT scores or leadership and extracurricular experience, out of the larger “flagship” state universities. I cannot find what year that Academic Admit was adopted by A&M, but obviously after 1997. I am not so sure that eliminating the top to% rule would be more beneficial to most review admits or not.

The earliest DARS information is 1999-2000 and here is the breakdown. Deadline to apply was February 15. So decisions came out well after the period we are in now. https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/student/files/common-data-set-1999-2000
Percent in top 10th of high school graduating class 49%
Percent in top quarter of high school graduating class 82%
Percent in top half of high school graduating class 98%
Percent in bottom half of high school graduating class 2%

DARS information from 2017-2018
Percent in top tenth of high school graduating class 60%
Percent in top quarter of high school graduating class 88%
Percent in top half of high school graduating class 98%
Percent in bottom half of high school graduating class 2%

Academic Year 2009-2010, the priority application date was December 1 and closing date was January 15. Decisions likely much later than the period we are in now.

For the classes I have been involved with with a Dec 1 deadline, class 2019 and 2020, all decisions were out by the 3rd week in February. Class 2021 it was the third week in February and March 8 for class 2022. Applications have been increasing by the thousands in the past 10 years and more so in the last 5-6. So, to have decisions for thousands of applications within 90 days of the deadline is not really that long considering that they cannot begin to consider what the majority of review admits can be offered until after that date.

As to Purdue and the like, Indiana does not have state laws that dictate that they must offer admissions to the top 10% of graduating students.
Consider this: Texas has the 3rd highest growth rate in the country and has increased nearly 5 million people the last 10 years, and stands at 29.1 Million people for 2019.
By contrast, Indiana has 6 million population for the entire state, just 1 million less than Texas growth the past 10 years. So while a terrific school, lets keep it in perspective that they are not receiving 50,000+ applications a year from mostly instate students, of which 70% will be automatic offers of admissions and with several pathways to offer them.

In the last legislative session (2017) there was a proposal to eliminate the rule. Of coarse, there were opponents and supporters alike. https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/05/texas-senators-mull-eliminating-top-10-percent-rule/
Studies have been done to say the top 10% isn’t working and while data doesn’t lie, interpretation of data is key.
This is a very thoughtful study on minority application and enrollment. https://www.texastop10.princeton.edu/reports/wp/NiuTienda-College%20Choice%20and%20Texas%20Law_RegDiscontinuity.pdf

Oh yeah @Thelma2 - very familiar with Hopwood. I was working media in Austin at the time. I remember scrambling crews to cover it. I moved out of Texas about a year later - so I recall doing stories on the different options being considered to increase diversity without using affirmative action. But I was gone before anything was in place.

@nervoustamumommy Actually, the standardized tests show more college readiness than AP/honors classes. That is why universities put a lot of value on them.
AP and Dual Credit classes show rigor and test for retention of information. The standardized test to measure specific criteria within the sections and are scored and cross scored. It doesn’t tell how well one will do in college only the preparedness for it.

College Board has established benchmark scores for both sections: 480 for Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and 530 for Math. Meeting or exceeding these benchmark scores suggests that you are 75% likely to earn a C or higher in a related introductory college-level course. Failing to meet a benchmark score may indicate that you will struggle with college-level courses, and therefore may need extra preparation before starting university. However, meeting a benchmark score is not a guarantee that you will do well. Instead, it is an indicator that a student is ready for college.

On the SAT, the Total Score is the sum of the two sections with a score range of 400–1600 and Section Scores, Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and Math, with a score range of 200–800.

Each assessment reports three test scores: the Reading Test score, the Writing and Language Test score, and the Math Test score with a score range of 10–40

In addition to all of this is Cross Test Scores.

Cross-Test Scores
Each of the assessments reports two cross-test scores: Analysis in History/Social Studies and Analysis in Science. These scores are based on questions in the Reading, Writing and Language, and Math Tests that ask students to think analytically about texts and problems in these subject areas.

Ranges for Cross-Test Scores (Analysis in History/Social Studies, Analysis in Science)10-40

Subscores
The assessments report multiple subscores for Reading, Writing and Language, and Math, all ranging from 1 to 15 points. Subscores provide more detail about student achievement.

The Reading Test and the Writing and Language Test each contribute questions to two subscores:

Command of Evidence
Words in Context
The Writing and Language Test also reports two additional subscores:
Expression of Ideas
Standard English Conventions

The Math Test reports three subscores:

Heart of Algebra
Problem Solving and Data Analysis
Passport to Advanced Math

Percentile Rank: as If all that is not enough, In addition to a total score, section scores, test scores, cross-test scores, subscores and essay scores if applicable, your score report will also include a percentile rank informing you of your percentiles for total score, evidence-Based reading and writing, and math. Your percentile rank indicates the percentage of students you outperformed or who performed at the same level as you. For example, placing in the 60th percentile overall would mean that you performed better than or equal to 60% of all other test-takers.

Scores on the SAT Essay are reported separately and are divided into three dimensions: Reading, Analysis, and Writing. Each dimension is scored on a 2–8 point scale.
The SAT Essay is optional.

IT’S ME! #-o I did it. I typed 52,000 instead of 42,000 applications. My bad and my apologies [-X

@thelma2… I’m dying… too funny.

I would love if someone coule chance me and be brutally honest

Submitted around early November/late October

act:29
Q2
pretty good essay

four year member of the cycling team
four year member of a school spirit support (captain for last three)
“Big brother” to a freshmen
Community Service leader
lifeguard for 4 years (head guard for three)
swim instructor for 3 years

Men for others award- pretty big award at my school, given to one person each year in each grade level

I know I most likely won’t be admitted straight in but what do you think my chances are for team/gateway?

thanks and gig’em (hopefully)