TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Like everyone else here, I’ve been anxiously awaiting news from A&M for too long. I’m homeschooled so automatically 1Q, I have pretty much a 4.0 GPA, 1340 SAT, no ACT, NMS commended, four years of sports, lots of volunteer hours with the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, and a few other extra curriculars. Not that A&M cares but, I’ve already been accepted to Baylor, Texas Tech, and LeTourneau for mechanical engineering and all offered me academic scholarships. I applied in August and just heard from A&M on Friday, ironically while on a visit to Tech. They offered me Blinn Engineering Academy, Galveston, and McAllen. I selected Blinn as the one I was interested in. Does this mean I’m accepted?
My AIS is saying “you are being considered for Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan.”

@PossiblyAggieMe yes. If you chose Blinn academy you are a full fledged Aggie. You’ll take eng courses at tamu and core at Blinn on rellis campus. You can live on main campus. There’s a shuttle that goes between main campus and rellis. Do your homework. Lots of info on this on threads and Google!!!

Congrats! Quite the accomplishment, you should be very proud!

@gigem2023 @goodperson200 I have done all my community service hours within the span of 4 years. I work on missions for weeks in the summer and have done several trips for community service.

Where can I find my assigned rank?
if you are talking about my ranking for high school i am in top 14%

@Thelma2 Oklahoma state and I live in Texas

@janewalton
Oklahoma State is a fantastic University that @AggieMomhelp and I are both familiar with. We both had students attend there. My mother and father also attended there and my dad played football under Athletic director Henry Iba. He had been recruited by Texas A&M’s Bear Bryant as well, but he had to turn it down because A&M didn’t allow women at the time and he was married. My mother graduated from Oklahoma A&M and since dad had field camp for his petroleum engineering and geology major, he didn’t graduate until August and by then, the name was changed to Oklahoma State University, The university is rich with tradition and is as close to A&M I think that one can get.

As good as the waivers they offer are, with your scores, it is only a partial offset of cost of attending vs what in state tuition is. You will still be paying 4K per year over what an instate university will be. If they still do it like they did when my daughter was there, the Bronze meal plan was nearly 1500 and per semester with a maximum that could roll over of $200 so you lost everything you couldn’t use. At the end of semester, students are emptying out the convenience stores (so many take the meal plan cards which is convenient) and donating the food and pet food to the shelters. Something to think about. The minimum meal plan for freshmen at A&M is 200 cheaper and was more than adequate for my freshman. Plus, you learn quickly which restaurants in the MSC give away free food at closing (Chick Fil A is one). Add up all of your costs vs in state.

While that 11K per year is great deducted from the OOS costs, you are still paying 26K+ depending on what dorm and meal plan you choose and you have to come up with that amount. Federal loans will only allow you as a student to borrow $5500 freshman year.

@janewalton its listed in the AIS. It will say high school class rank or class rank or something. If your school doesn’t rank then there should be a quartile assigned.

Ended up just applying to Blinn Bryan proper n got accepted. Gonna complete 24 hours there, keep the GPA up, and hope for a clean transfer into A&M.

Anyone know how difficult is to transfer from Blinn to A&M / have any experience with the transfer process?

If you didn’t get an offer yesterday and your major is engineering is it safe to say that you weren’t accepted?

@dyinginhs if you have a solid gpa after 24 credits you will have a solid chance. What’s you intended major? Be sure you follow and take required courses to apply. If you have any questions on that, message me. After 24 credits are completed… apply!

All this to say… you haven’t received a decision from TAMU. Yes it’s Great to have a backup plan, but don’t talk your denial into fruition. Stay positive. I looked at your stats again. While your SAT isn’t stellar, your ranking is really good. Keep us posted on decision!

My son got the option to choose one of the engineering pathways on Friday morning and this morning we got 6 tabs!! He was a little disappointed to not get full admit and was teetering back and forth between A&M and LSU so last minute we got up super early yesterday and attended Aggieland Saturday. After speaking with some very informative students he has made the decision that A&M will be his home!! Thank you all for the hep and support along this journey…especially @Thelma2 & @AggieMomhelp!! Hope everyone has a great day!!

@DoodleMom2001 that’s amazing! Whoop. He’s going to realize as soon as he starts that he’s a full fledged Aggie and there’s really no difference. Make sure he signs up for Fish Camp. So fun and exhausting but a great way to make some new friends and have an upper classman lifeline straight away. Congrats!

If you go to Blinn and have to do 24 credit hours there, what happens to all of the AP classes? My son chose Business as his first and Econ as his second and hasn’t heard anything. He has taken over 30 credits of AP classes…would he have to retake the classes as the schedule lists many classes he’s already taken.

@Twinmom123 so he won’t accept his AP credit until he starts tamu and goes over it with an advisor. He’ll have up til senior year to accept it. Mays is full now so if he gets in, it’ll be under Econ (same thing happened to my son last year). You have to have 24 graded credits to transfer so only dual credit will count towards that number (not AP). He’ll need to look at transfer requirements for business or Econ and follow along. Wouldn’t be bad to take some of those classes that’ll lead to other classes at tamu upper level (just more groundwork and possibly easy A!).

If he gets into tamu then look at change of major requirements for mays!

@AggieMomhelp If she is planning to transfer from Blinn or other university after one year, will the advisors at TAMU be willing to go over a schedule plan before she starts (even though she won’t be at TAMU that first year) that at least considers the AP she has to convert when she gets there? Or will she have to take those classes again. I would hate to see her lose those AP credits because she is transferring.

My daughter met with ag advisor before she applied. They had her transcript before she met with them. When she went in, they told her what transferred for what. She had no AP credit but I can only imagine that yes, they would go over what they would count if she chose to accept them. Before she takes any classes elsewhere, confirm they will transfer. Do you know where to go for that? If not, google tamu course equivalency. It should pull up. Pretty user friendly. But if you have any trouble let me know.

@AggieMomhelp we also met with the advisors before she applied and there are several of her AP classes that will convert and cover requirements. It is just a different ballgame if she transfers so hopefully they will be willing to advise if that is the direction she has to go to make sure she takes the right classes. We have the course equivalence matrix. Thanks!

I highly recommend meeting again before transfer. It looks good and she can add that to her essay. “When I met with Suzy, blah blah blah”

We are putting the cart before the horse though. Still waiting on final admits so keep the faith!

That’s also my daughter’s plan. Singed an apartment lease and has been accepted to Blinn. She’s doing the PTA program for auto-admit to A&M after 30 hours at a junior college. Sounds like you have to meet with A&M before you start your junior college classes…and only certain majors are included.

My daughter just got in to TAMU! So excited for her.

@Bruno26 please give us her stats. And when did she find out? As in when did howdy update to 6 tabs?