TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@DD1000 oh your daughter should have no trouble getting full admit.

@jaskota housing should be open for you to pay deposit and fill out contract. If not then you need to call. NSC and housing opens up immediately. And congrats!!!

Congrats and Gigā€™em on your acceptance! My son applied July 12th as an Animal Science major and is also a review admit. Iā€™ve been checking multiple times a week once I saw other review admits were already hearing back. What I am confused about is thisā€¦ If itā€™s a rolling admissions process based on application date (as we were told by multiple departments at various TAMU events), then why are some who applied later receiving their decisions before those that applied earlier?

@TxAg99 itā€™s not necessarily rolling admissions per se. In the past few years review admits found out on certain dates. It wasnā€™t like several times a week, it was more like one day a month. As for who hears firstā€¦ it really depends on stats. Someone thatā€™s going to be admitted easily will find out way before decisions are released for blinn team or PSA (these came out in feb the last 2 years). A top 25% with a 29 act is going to hear before a top 25% with a 25 ACT (with all else being equal). Even if the results are the same. I donā€™t know if this helps or not. And again this is based on recent prior years.

@jaskota Congratulations! My son was admitted on the 11th as well and hasnā€™t received the letter yet either. He talked to a friend who was an auto admit and it took him over 2 weeks after admit to get the letter.

@TxAg99 Good luck to your son on admissions!!
My parents guessed that my quick(ish) admission was because I was recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar and I uploaded the certificate to AIS as a supporting certificate - two days after Iā€™d uploaded it I was accepted, though I donā€™t know if it was coincidence or not, seeing that other review admits also heard back on the 11th. Iā€™ve heard TAMU wants National Merit / Hispanic scholars to attend so maybe that worked in my favorā€¦

@AggieMomhelp thank you so much for the information! I checked the housing portal again after seeing your response and thereā€™s a tab to apply for housing I swear wasnā€™t there beforeā€¦ but will definitely be working on that this weekend!

@Newaggiefamily Iā€™m wondering if there was some issue with the mailing acceptance letters at this point. I donā€™t know anyone else who was accepted at the same time I was so I canā€™t ask aroundā€¦ congratulations to your son and his friend though!

I know the letter is exciting, but it doesnā€™t make it any more official! Makes for some good senior pics tho!!!

Anyone ever have the yellow icon box for submitted materials? DD19 applied and transcript says uploaded 10/15, but as of of today has still been the yellow icon which means ā€œreceived, not yet reviewedā€. That seems to be a long time but maybe we are spoiled with other colleges and UT which was sent transcript same time 10/15 by counselor and UTā€™s is now in under review status. DD sent a message through the portal to inquire, and message back was thank you up to 3 days for a response. With others citing issues with transcript uploads, we are concerned.

Could just be the timing. Engineer deadline was 15th for early decision. They may be swamped and giving priority review to those students.

When did you apply: 9/27
When did you get your UIN: 9/30
When did you receive your admission decision: Waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Public Health 46/440
Class Rank: 10.5%
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1210 R/W 610, M 600
ACT (with Sub Scores) : Not taking

Varsity sport 4 years, NHS, English, Math, and Science Honor Society, NHS officer, 150 hours of community service
wondering when I will hear decision - in review currently

When did you apply: 10/1
When did you get your UIN: 10/3
When did you receive your admission decision: Waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: College of Engineering
Class Rank: 54/310
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1250 R/W 610, M 640
ACT (with Sub Scores) 29- 33 Science/Reading, 26 Math, 24 English (Taking again 10/26)

NHS Officer, Student Council member, 2 years varsity, Job for 2 years (At Chick-Fil-A, after 10 months I was promoted), Community projects with our schoolā€™s engineering program, 80 service hours.

Wondering if anyone with experience could help me out with what they believe my chances would be for getting into the engineering program.

Does anyone know when A&M starts sending out financial aid information (scholarships, pell grants, etc)? Is there a way to check on Howdy if they received FAFSA information?

@Newaggiefamily my son who was admitted on October 11 as a review applicant to Mays received his official acceptance packet in the mail today. We live in Katy, which is a suburb of Houston, so depending on where you reside your child should likely be receiving their packet soon.

As an observation, it sounds to me like they didnā€™t have as many auto/academic applicants to the Mays program which could be why review applicants are receiving their acceptances so early? What do you think? @thelma2 and @AggieMomhelp

So jealous here - I know my many posts have been about all this waiting cough whining cough (except I have two waiting for their admissions - one freshman Fall 2019 & one transfer Spring 2019). Sorry in advanced and I promise, it wonā€™t be my last! HAHAHA!

Anyway, congratulations to those receiving acceptances - itā€™s got to be a load off your mind!

@jaceyk I agree with you. Itā€™s kind of unheard of these past few years that review candidates hear back this early and also that they got into Mays. Itā€™s great though, Iā€™m glad. Iā€™m also glad my son didnā€™t get Mays so that he chose Econ which to me is a better major than business unless they go specific for Accounting. Heā€™ll end up with minor in business though.

I would think your Spring Transfer 2019 should be hearing super soon. Crossing my fingers for you. I know the wait is tough. My daughter transferred as well, Spring 2017. The wait was awful. Glad I didnā€™t have to also wait on Freshman admission at the same time. MIght I suggest wine to help you? lol

Does anyone know what time of day Howdy is updated? Is it once a day or multiple times? If itā€™s once, does anyone know about what time each day?

Most people see the tabs first thing in the morning, like around 7am CT. I used to wake up and check it first thing until we got tabs (last year).

@DoodleMom2001 , Iā€™m not sure. It may vary, but for us, I have seen it typically update in the morning. When my son got six tabs, it happened over night sometime, because it had already happened when I checked just before 7:00am. When he got accepted to engineering, his acceptance letter was posted to AIS > My Letters at 4:59am. His Freshman Admit letter was posted at 11:00am. His application was acknowledged on two separate days at 6:07am and 6:08am. Always check My Letters first thing. Also, monitor ā€œManage Applicationsā€ on the Applicant tab for any changes.

@Newaggiefamily what is his class rank & SAT/ACT score? We are awaiting review admit as well and are interested to know

@Mommydoodle newaggiefamily was top 14% with a 27 ACT. his son will be going into the Corps of Cadets. He got into Mays. On the flip side, my son last year was top 14% with a 28 applying for Mays. He got in the December round (which was the 2nd review round) and did not get Mays. So really thereā€™s no rhyme or reason. Iā€™m just happy that review candidates are getting a shot at Mays this year! Best of luck to your student and keep us posted.

ANDā€¦ have you posted your stats yet?

Obviously thereā€™s something different going on with review applicants and Mays this cycle. I know thereā€™s been speculation that maybe less auto/academic admits have applied this year; however, that seems a little dubious to me given that typically state schools with a growing population base such as A&M receive an increase in quality and quantity of applicants each year. Pure speculation here, but I tend to think that the change may be a result of decreasing yield in prior cycles and an increase in graduation rates.

Yield is the percentage of applicants who are offered acceptances that actually end up enrolling at the school. A&M knows that not everyone offered admission to Mays will actually end up being an Aggie, and its the same for every other college in Texas. Private schools can manage their yield by offering binding early admission, but public universities normally do not do that. Therefore, colleges have to offer admission to more students than they actually have slots available for because of the yield. (For example, a couple of years ago I attended an admission session for UTā€™s Liberal Arts Honors Program and we were told they admit twice as many kids as they have slots for due to admitted students going elsewhere. Thatā€™s because UT honors is a safety school for applicants who are matches for Rice and the Ivies.) I have no idea what the yield has been historically at Mays, but it would not surprise me to discover that the yield number has declined simply because freshman applicants are applying to an increasing number of schools. Thus, while Mays has likely received a bump in the total number of applications received they also would likely see a declining number of those acceptances actually matriculating which means the yield percentage is going to fall. This is something that wouldnā€™t just affect A&M but every college and university in Texas. It may be that the yield percentage for the last couple of cycles at Mays required an adjustment in increasing the number of acceptances to fill the available seats at Mays.

The second issue could be an increase in graduation rates. When my eldest son was an applicant in the 2016 application cycle, UT stated that his class was the largest freshman class ever admitted to UT, which was made possible by an increase in graduation rates. In other words, the faster kids get out, the more seats are opened up for new students. The way that this relates to Mays is that back in 2015, the Texas legislature passed a new state law that required all Texas public colleges to accept as college credits AP scores of 3 and above. An article that appears in the June 19, 2015 edition of the Texas Tribune described the potential impact of this new law: ā€œUniversities are still working out the details, but the new rule has the potential to impact students across the state. The University of Texas at Austin currently gives credit for 31 AP tests, but requires scores of four or higher on 17 of them to award course credit. Texas A&M requires scores of four or higher on 13 such tests.ā€

Thus, entering classes at A&M since the passage of this law have more AP credits than in prior years. In fact, my eldest son self-studied the AP Psychology exam and got a qualifying score on it without even taking the class. Other students would similarly have the incentive to take as many AP exams as possible knowing that UT/A&M had to accept scores of 3 and above. Clearly this would also have a potential impact in increasing graduation rates and A&M might be seeing that impact now which also could explain a more aggressive admission policy respecting Mays - one of the colleges that youā€™d expect incoming freshman to have a lot of AP credits.

Of course this is all speculation but I think it provides a reasoned explanation for why Mays has been so aggressive in conducting their holistic review of applicants this early in the current admission cycle.