TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@dyl3131 Your chances for full admit to TAMU are good with that 29 ACT. Your SAT is low, especially for engineering and your ACT sub score for math is really low. Your ECs look good. I think, don’t shoot me, you would be an excellent candidate for Blinn engineering academy (Bryan location). I’ve had several kids friends do this and they succeeded much better and quicker than straight TAMU students. So if you get that (has to be offered to you), then look at it as a positive. You would be an Aggie, but just take some core classes at Blinn. Now if you want to do something other than Engineering as a back up, I wouldn’t doubt that you would be offered full admit for that major (assuming not Mays).

@AggieMomhelp Can you provide any insight of our sons chances of full admit for his degree choices? He is dead set on joining the Corp and auditioning for the Aggie Band. He has a backup plan, but does not want to use it. Thanks.

@AggieParents2B where does your son fall in the top 25%? His 29 ACT and ECs look great. The fact he wants the Corps and the band I truly feel gives him an advantage. Our Corps is the largest it’s been in a long time. It’s amazing!

@AggieMomhelp We are Out of State and our school doesn’t officially rank. Based on our own calculations we think around 16%.

@AggieParents2B if they don’t rank then yeah TAMU just blankets it for top 25%. With that being said, I still think he has a decent shot at full admit. His 29 will definitely help him. Please keep us posted!

@fatherof2boys thanks for your response! This is all new to me. My older daughter had no desire to attend any of the popular Texas schools. She applied early admission to an out of state school, was accepted right away and had none of this stress! My daughter’s rank & scores are close to your son. She is a 4 year varsity letterman and in NHS, several clubs, community service, etc. So now we just wait I guess!

This is my daughter’s info:

When did you apply: 9/13
When did you get your UIN: 9/17
When did you receive your admission decision: waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Business (Accounting)/Mays, 2nd choice major is Nutrition
Class Rank: 17% (don’t have her exact # but know percentage)
GPA: 4.1
College Credit: several dual credit courses
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1330; R-620, M-710
ACT (with Sub Scores): N/A

She also is a 4 year varsity letterman, NHS, Spanish NHS, various clubs (including a VP position), community service, and also a lot of babysitting and has worked as a lifguard as well.

She has applied & has been accepted to the University of Alabama, which is her 2nd choice. But she’s still hoping to be an Aggie!

@mommydoodle, yes, her academics are pretty much spot on with my son’s test scores/class rank. I’d think you should feel cautiously optimistic about that. Moreover, her extracurricular activities reveal that she’d have a very well-rounded application. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Its interesting to see that she has Bama as her second choice because when my eldest son went through this college application process he seriously considered Bama as one of his safety schools if he was not admitted to UT/A&M. I know Bama has been very aggressive in recruiting out-of-state applicants with their guaranteed scholarships, and my son was impressed with the perks of their Honors College. Its a beautiful campus and offers Texas kids the opportunity to attend a flagship school, with their preferred majors, if A&M or UT don’t work out.

Hopefully though, you guys will be getting some good news from College Station shortly.

@AggieMomhelp - thanks for the info! We met with the recruiter here in San Antonio and she was the one who told us to choose AgBusiness as a second major choice. She said there are only 5 classes in that major that are different than the Mays business degree. The idea would be to request transfer to Mays after the first year. Of course, she also told us that as long as he had a 3.0 he would get into Mays. Her exact words were “I’ve never seen a student be denied entry into Mays seeking a transfer after the first year as long as they had the GPA.” But, I’ve read differently on here so sure hope it’s not a bait and switch. I figured we would wait until a decision is made on his application and then take the next step.

Also, he’s currently ranked 20.5% in his class. He has taken the SAT 3 times and highest score is 1230 so I don’t think he could have raised it to 1360. He just doesn’t test well. But, taking the ACT this Saturday and hoping (praying) for a good score!

Thanks again for all of the help on this board.

@SAMomofOne I think you might want to read the info on this webpage that appears to identify the prequisites for internal transfer into Mays.

https://mays.tamu.edu/undergraduate-enrollment-plan-2016-2018/

1. ON-CAMPUS CHANGE OF MAJOR (ALSO CALLED CHANGE OF CURRICULUM) – 100 ADMITTED

Currently enrolled students at Texas A&M may change their major to Mays on a limited basis. The requirements are very specific and the number admitted is small.
Minimum Requirements:
Students who enrolled at Texas A&M through the Freshman admission process may apply for change of major to Mays Business School once all of the following minimum requirements are met.
cumulative GPA of 3.5 or greater in a minimum of 30 graded hours at Texas A&M, and
total college credit hours do not exceed 60 (including transfer credit), and
completion of qualifying course requirements (shown below).
All academic information included on the application must appear in the student’s official record at Texas A&M. Occasionally students who do not meet minimum requirements may be granted an exception. The information to file an appeal for exception to the minimum requirements is noted at the end of this document.
Transfer applicants who accepted admission to a non-business major at Texas A&M will be considered for on-campus change-of-major to Mays by appeal only. (Note that prospective transfer applicants were instructed not to accept admission to a non-business major with the expectation of later applying for change of major to Mays.)

@SAMomofOne girl total bait and switch. @fatherof2boys is exactly right. There is no guarantee and a 3.0 is very low for Mays. And Maybe the recruiter was talking about first year of classes but I can guarantee you the total 4 year degree plan is completely different and all ag focused. I will get you facts tomorrow when I’m at my computer. Of course you don’t have to make any decisions yet so lots of time to find a 2nd major that makes sense if he doesn’t get Myas.

Thank you for this information!!

Interesting- she was very specific that there were only 5 classes that were different for the entire degree program. I appreciate all of your help.

@SAMomofOne you can compare degree plans in the current tamu course catalog fairly easily.

http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/

We’ve been referring to this pretty often to see which AP/Dual classes will transfer in as each college & major varies somewhat.

Replying to bemart14…

On AIS, there’s a long checklist of things to do. Filing for financial aid using FAFSA is listed an an optional thing to do. Once FAFSA is received, that item has a check mark. Ours took about a week before that checkmark came. However, there is a financial aid portal in Howdy. That will also say if FAFSA was received and will update to 2019-2020 dates. But, it took Howdy 2 weeks longer to say the FAFSA had been received than Howdy. Still no financial aid or scholarship awards listed yet, but at least I know they have everything.

for daughter…
When did you apply: 9/5
When did you get your UIN: 9/7?
When did you receive your admission decision: 10/12 accepted for Mays!!! ??thank you Jesus
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review and out of state (ca)
Major/College of Choice: Mays Business
Class Rank: 8.75% 37/428
wGPA: 4.18. uw 3.93
College Credit: 3units
AP 4 years worth, plus two honors classes, one college class and 4 ap classes in progress for senior year
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1310;R-600, M-710
ACT (with Sub Scores): N/A
ex. class president, commissioner on two city/county boards, assemblyman intern, cheer captain, leader for kids church summer camp, link crew leader, and additional work for charities.
rejected for honors- hard deadline of 1360 on SAT required ??‍♀️ not complaining ?

That’s awesome @staceysmom24 congrats and welcome to Texas. I was a transplant from Sac in 89. I never left. Great place to live and I hope your daughter is happy here!!! Thanks for the stats. I’m sure @Thelma2 will be adding it to her compilation! If you guys need any advice on our community, let me know.

ha! we live in the suburbs of sac! my husband and i would love to move to tx we love Texan’s values and spirit! Thank u for ur kind response!!

When did you apply:7/20
When did you get UIN:7/24
When did you receive admission decision: waiting
Are you Auto, academic, review: review
Major: Business
GPA: 4.1/ top 10%
SAT: none
ACT: 26
Extra: Student council, leadership club, volunteered at church once a week all 4 years, worked with elementary kids through 5minutes for life and start talking program(Drug and alcohol awareness programs), accounting and finance internship summer 2018.

Hi y’all! I’m new to this and just wanted to know what you all thought my chances were of getting accepted. TAMU is my top pick!!

Also I am a legacy but I don’t think that is taken into account.