TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

If you go to the AIS page, go into the “Howdy” portion. There it will show the tabs available at the top of the page…thanks!!!

This is really early to hear eve for automatics. No worries guys.

Cannonmom: If I’m looking right, there are 3 tabs. Home, Applicant, My Howdy.

Knowing he’s auto admit, we haven’t been looking at the portal at all. Reading above, maybe we’ll hear in mid-September. Thanks!

Thanks, y’all! Thank you, Mojo1995, for checking! I’ll relax now.

I was just getting concerned because according to last year’s thread, 6 tabs were appearing mid August!

Thanks again!

Does anyone know about notifications for schools that do not rank? My daughter is #1 from a non ranking school. I don’t know if she gets auto admit status or not. The guidance counselor sent documentation but her class rank can’t be on the transcript bc of DNR status of the school. If auto admits hear in mid September, when do the rest of the kids hear back?

My daughter applied early July. She is an auto admit. She has had six tabs since almost the beginning.

@TXRunningMom TAMU will assign your daughter a rank and it should be posted on her AIS. When TAMU assigns rank, they will only assign the quarter, as in first quarter, second quarter, etc.
Have your D look on her AIS (or you can if you have the log in) and see what it says. Then, if she has the scores for academic admit, she will hear when the first notifications begin to be posted.

The past two years, the admission decisions began going out September 19/20.

@Thelma2 , HHHHHmmmmmmm, I’m in her portal but don’t see anything about a ranking or percentile. Where would that information be? Thanks! PS She has 3 tabs that say “Home, Applicant, My Howdy”.

My son submitted his application in early August. In Howdy, he has 6 tabs…Home, Applicant, My Record, My Finances, Student Life, My Howdy. BTW he should be an automatic admit, but who knows about Engineering (his 1st choice major)….
Weird that there are differences in number of tabs in Howdy, but I honestly am not sure that it really means anything.
I have a junior at TAMU now, but I can’t remember if he had 3 or 6 tabs.

I had my counselor upload my transcript and class rank about two days ago. About how long does it take for it to show up on your portal? thanks.

It took my daughter’s about 4 days - A&M has been one day slower than UTD for things showing up.

@TXRunningMom log into the applicant information system, not Howdy. The Applicant Information System allows prospective Texas A&M students to check the status of their application. In the past, it has shown those whose schools do not rank, which percentile was assigned by TAMU.

Does your daughter attend a TX public high school or private high school?
If public, and they don’t rank, then she will be assigned a rank that will be in the top quarter. Which, knocks her out of being an auto admit, because she is top 25%, not officially top 10%. If private or home schooled, then the same applies. She will be assigned top quarter percentile but will need test scores in addition.

To be an academic admit, she will need to have the SAT/ACT scores with minimum sub scores in addition to the first quarter designation.

If she does not have the SAT/ACT scores to be an academic admit, she is considered a review applicant and could receive a decision before January but the majority of review applicants receive their admissions decision after January when all of the auto and academic admits have been processed.

What is her major?

@Thelma2 , thanks for your response! I think I am looking in her AIS page but I still can’t find anything about her application status except that is is “under review” with her major listed (computer science). I’m afraid she will be clumped into the Academic Admit group. (She has a qualifying ACT score for Academic Admit) When do the Academic Admit groups find out? Is it well after the mid September Auto Admits?

@TXRunningMom Well that is a bummer if they no longer list the assigned rank. They used to.
Since she is engineering, she will get her notification that she is accepted into the university as an academic admit the same time auto admits do (September 20/21 last year) but she will likely not get her engineering decision until at least October.
There are more than one admissions decision release dates for engineering. No one knows the dates they will be released but you will see a group on Day X, then more later. Last year, it was Oct 5, Oct 31, Nov 7, Nov 21,Dec 6, Dec 15, Jan 20 and Jan 30 for auto/Academic admits offered full admissions.
Blinn Engineering Academy admission offers were Feb 8 & 12 and included auto/academic admits.
Engineering Galveston was February 12 & 13 and were review applicants. PSA was March 7.

@Thelma2 , I still could be doing something wrong in looking but thank you for your response! Do the Auto Admits find out their Engineering decisions in October too or do they find out earlier?

@TXRunningMom Auto and academic will be lumped together.

There is no rhyme or reason of who gets a decision (engineering) when. In the first “wave” Oct 3, were applicants who applied in July-Sept but not all of the applicants who applied then. There were applicants who applied in July and did not receive their engineering decision until Dec.

Last year was also a fluke year, with the Hurricane, and application deadline was extended to Jan. 2 or 3. The last two years, there have been auto/academic applicants who applied by the early decision deadline who were deferred until January. Also, most review applicants who apply by the ED deadline do not receive a decision until January. The Uni still has to go through the auto/academic admits first and if they don’t get into engineering (yes, it happens) they must be placed in a major.

How soon after it shows accepted in AIS will you receive it in the mail?

When did you apply:July 11
When did you get your UIN:July 11
When did you receive your admission decision:NA
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit:Review-admit
Major/College of Choice:Engineering
Class Rank: top 28% (tough school :frowning: )
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1450, R-670/M-780

Major: AAE

When did you apply: 8/12
When did you get your UIN: 8/14
When did you receive your admission decision: In review
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto/academic admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering (Mechanical)
Class Rank: Top 10%
ACT (with Sub Scores) 30 (34 E, 28 M, 30 R, 27 S)
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1340 (700 M, 640 R/W),

@Thelma2 , I have a question about your post above about non-ranking Texas public schools. Your post stated “If public, and they don’t rank, then she will be assigned a rank that will be in the top quarter. Which, knocks her out of being an auto admit, because she is top 25%, not officially top 10%.” I noticed something different in our case. My son’s school doesn’t rank, but he is in the top 10%. On his AIS page, I noticed one day that it listed his class rank and class size. It just showed up all of a sudden which was a surprise. I asked our school counselor about it, and she said she didn’t send it. Then I read on the A&M website, that for non-ranking schools, that they get the ranking from the TREx records exchange based on the student GPAs that high schools report to TREx. So, in our case, it doesn’t say top 25% or top 10%, it lists his specific class rank and class size which equates to top 10%. Have you seen this before? This is our first time through this process, and it is definitely confusing and unnerving.

@CamandCam
I don’t recall seeing this before. Just read the website and this seems to be a new item. Which is good. Many schools have gone to non ranking and though they are top ten, it wasn’t getting reported, and this way, they are being recongnized. For years, as an admissions counselor posted (albeit on another forum) “For a student that comes from a non-ranking high school, we use their GPA in relation to their school’s grading scale to assign a quartile ranking.”

It seems that non ranking high schools can/are reporting at least their top 10% or A&M is assigning the top 10% designation for non ranking high schools. However, @TXRunningMom didn’t have anything listed for her daughter, who is in the #1 spot. So, I am not sure what to make of that. By the last sentence below, I take it that they will still assign a quartile rank for applicants not in top 10% on the quartile system.

Another change I noticed, is that in years past, Admission Decisions always were made via the AIS (Applicant Information System) and this year, on another page of the freshman admissions website, it says admissions decisions will be made via the HOWDY portal.

**Notification of Decision
We make decisions throughout the year. All decisions for spring will be posted by December and fall by late March at HOWDY via the Applicant tab.

The website says
*Home-schooled students must submit a complete, official signed transcript. A rank will be assigned based on SAT or ACT scores. Official test scores must be received before a rank can be assigned.
*Students at non-ranking high schools will be assigned a class rank based on reported GPA.
Non-ranking high schools may provide a class rank for students in the top 10%. No other rankings will be considered.