TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

So does the portal only update in the evenings?

Getting your advice on chances for my son.
He scored a 29 on the ACT: Math 28, Science 24, English 29 Reading 34
He is top 1/2 and has a 4.3 gpa. Very involved in sports and EC. Has worked during high school. Attends a rigorous Private school in Dallas.
Review Admit
Mays Business school is his desire.

@aggiehopeful12 Top half is quite hard to obtain full admissions. 29 is competitive but the ranking will hurt him. Mays is probably out of the question. Whatā€™s his 2nd choice major. Rank and score are only half of what they look at, so hopefully his EC/LOR/Resume etc will give him some favor. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

And the howdy portal usually updates around 7am or earlier. Have never seen it change throughout the day.

@AggieMomhelp Actually he is top 1/4, wrote that wrong.

@aggiehopeful12 HUGE difference girl! lol He has a great shot at full admit with those scores and rank. Maybe not for Mays though. Will just depend when he gets accepted if Mays is full or not.

@AggieMomhelp Im just surprised he hasnā€™t heard anything yet. People that were also review and scored a 28 already got in from his school so heā€™s worried. He applied July 16th

To be clear, are review admits in the first quartile already receiving decisions? I was under the impression that wouldnā€™t be the case until after December 1. However, Iā€™ve read several posts which contradict my understanding.

@papimama501 yes some are already getting decisions.

@aggiehopeful12 Thanks for confirming! Good luck to your son!

Very few review admits have heard. And the ones that have, donā€™t seem to fit the bill from last few years. As in, their stats are not where the others were (close to top 10 ranking and high test scores). So we are not sure what is going on this year. So one wave so far and someone commented today that they received tabs but I havenā€™t seen anyone else confirm the same.

Werenā€™t the review admits that have been accepted for engineering or Mays? Not any other major?

Definitely for Engineering because it was early actionā€¦ and you may be rightā€¦ I canā€™t recall if the other review admits were just for Mays. That would be odd though. Iā€™ll go back and check.

so I checkedā€¦ only Mays and Engineering students have been admitted based on this forum for holistic review. That is crazy and I cannot believe I didnā€™t pick up on this lol. Thanks @jaceyk nice work! So for those that are holistic review and are a major other than Mays/Engā€¦ fear not, they have not released other decisions yet. Again, this goes against anything in the past few years!

Just learned from a friend that a mutual friendā€™s daughter received full admittance last week and sheā€™s second quartile review admit! Amazing and unexpected based on everything Iā€™ve read. Iā€™m starting to think the whole packet is what will make the difference for our kids.

@papimama501 What school was she admitted to?

@papimama501 Thatā€™s so odd. They havenā€™t done ā€œrollingā€ admissions in I donā€™t know how many years. Like forever. Unless they are engineering review. AND to have 2nd quarter get an acceptance this early is completely unheard of. They typically arenā€™t even looked at until after the 1st of the year. Not saying they arenā€™t telling the truth, just wondering how itā€™s possible.

@AggieMomhelp - i completely agree! From what Iā€™ve been told sheā€™s an engineering major. It still seems odd and different than the expected process. I would have thought engineering would be the most competitive admittance process and least likely for this scenario.

I am just wondering, does A&M require LOR?, I did not submit any LOR.

@papimama501 makes more sense since engineering. They are probably accepted into Tamu and under eng review now.

@firsttime123 LORs are not required. Just helps. No worries if you donā€™t have one but if you can get one from teacher etcā€¦ then it couldnā€™t hurt.

@AggieMomhelp does it make sense to you that a second quartile applicant would know they are in at this point? I guess Iā€™m not connecting why engjneering makes it more plausible that she would know already that she is in the university. I understand the applicant is accepted in TAMU then reviewed for specific major. Iā€™m particularly interested because my son is second quartile (3.8 from non-ranking school) and 30 ACT but Iā€™ve received feedback that he will be lucky to receive full admit due to the quartile. Sorry itā€™s all a little muddy to me.