TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Ok so checked mail today big envelope for son from A&M got excited
It was a recruitment letter for Corps
Saying congrats on applying to A&M and all good the great things the corps have

My question is has anyone kids join the corps
And what was experience
Also hoping recruitment letter means more good things coming

@schelle everyone who applies gets that packet, I believe.

I am so disappointed
and heartbroken. They finally assessed her rank and put her in the 2nd quarter even though her GPA was only .04 over the cutoff. Will the admissions team know she is 25.5% vs just lumped into 50%?

idk the answer but Im so so sorry. keep the faith ??

this might be one of those times for a phone call?

Does it sometimes help to call? I don’t want to make it worse but you would think a tiny rounding might have been reasonable. Who would I call?

this a question for aggiemom and thelma. if it were me i would have my daughter call her admission rep and explain the situation then ask if there is anything she can do to get the bump. i wouldnt expect a change but sometimes u never know unless u ask. further it may be an op for your daughter to show her great personality and drive. BUT i would definitely weigh in with thelma and aggie mom and anyone else w exp. i have ZERO. just basic life exp.

That is funny
I almost tagged them both :slight_smile: @AggieMomhelp @Thelma2 any advice? See comment/question above about where they placed my daughter.

Is the Howdy portal and AIS site down for anybody else? It won’t load for me.

Same here. It must be down.

@AggieDreamin: WOW!! AND ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

So she is at 25.04 % of her HS class? That is an awesome rank but I sure hope that .04% doesn’t affect her acceptance. Doesn’t seem fair, that isn’t 26%. Do they have to rank up to 24.99% to be within the top 25%?

Fingers crossed for her. Good luck. Keep us posted.

@AggieMomAgain Do you know if they have a real class rank on the backend when doing their assessment or are they just holistically lumped into their quartile without any further viability?

@AggieMomAgain I meant visibility :slight_smile: Dang that spell check

AIS is down for me too.

They are probably doing maintenance. I have been able to get in every now and then.

Sorry
 been at Aggie game and then tailgate. Finally a win! Anyway
to my knowledge only if your school ranks, do the admissions staff see the actual rank not a percentage (55/350 or 1/200 etc). Nonranking schools don’t do this so I believe they are just ranked into quarters.

How did you get 25.04? I ask because when they rank they look at gpa and data from the the school. If you know the exact percentage then it sounds like they do rank and thus this would be listed on ais. What does it say on there? Numbers or percentage?

@AggieMomhelp Go Aggies! It was actually that the school provided a profile and the cutoff was 4.846 and her GPA is 4.806. Barely missing by .04. So if our school provided rank then they would know she barely missed it but since they don’t officially rank then she is stuck with 50% ?. I am just sick that she may miss the opportunity to go to A&M because of this issue.

@AggieDreamin I agree with the others about having her call. It will not hurt anything. I wouldn’t stress too much about this. Yes it’s not ideal and is frustrating, but that’s only part of her application package and this year it really looks like they are doing a full review. Chin up and deep breath. Remain encouraging. The wait is the hardest but it’ll be worth it. Keep us posted!

@AggieMomhelp Thank you for the encouragement.? Should she just call admissions and ask for an admissions counselor?

@AggieDreamin All,

A&M is experiencing outages all over campus today. Howdy has been inaccessible, students can’t register, the help desk phones are out and places that have wifi, it is dreadfully slow. It is being worked on. From the
Texas A&M Division of Information Technology
8 hrs ·
Texas A&M is experiencing outages with several services including CAS, Exchange Email, and VPN. The Help Desk Central phone number is also unavailable. Status updates will be posted here until the IT Alerts website is restored.Other affected services include Howdy and eCampus

Every transcript is seen by a transcript analyst and though I don’t know the whole of what all they do and how they make their determinations, sometimes their determinations are different than what the school reports, sometimes up, sometimes down. All I know is that they use the students GPA in relation to the schools grading scale.

Besides assigning a quartile rank, I cannot say for sure if they consider how close or far from the first quarter an applicant is. I do know that in the last two admission cycles, there were students admitted from the second quartile that were near the first quartile,

While it is not the news you were hoping for, there is still some chance as well as there are many paths to being an Aggie. Fingers crossed for her.