TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieMomhelp It says here that TAMU does not offer on-campus testing? https://testing.tamu.edu/Exams/ACT

edit: it says SAT on ACT. whoops

So you found it? My sons score went up 1 point but he didn’t study for it. It also shows your real commitment to wanting Tamu

@AggieMomhelp i think october 15 was for early engineering decision
 i think,
What would be a favorable rank?

Sorry, yes it was for early decision but what I meant was that is what the majority of engineering student do. They apply early because the sooner you do the better your chances. With your school not ranking, the best you’ll get is top quarter. That would help a lot.

Hoping y’all can help. My daughter received email confirmation that she has been admitted but hasn’t received a letter. About how long does that take? Thank you!!

Does anyone have an idea of to when the next wave of review applicant decisions will come out?

@AggieMomhelp
Question: why shouldn’t I pick two different engineering major as my first and second choice? will it affect my chances?

Information from another thread regarding past decision release dates for engineering - http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21722482#Comment_21722482

When did you apply: October 22nd
When did you receive UIN: October 25th
Admission Decision: N/A
Are you auto, academic, or review: Review
Major: Finance (Mays)
Class rank: 215/568 (37%) Assigned second quarter
SAT: 1330
ACT: 28
GPA UW: 3.5
GPA W: 4.68
AP Courses: 9 by end of high school
Extracurriculars:
-NHS VP and member
-3 year Key Club Member
-3 year UNICEF member
-3 top six finishes in debate (1 first place finish)
-orchestra for three years
-work at chick fil as a team leader
-130+ volunteer hours
-part of selective internship course on campus
LOR:
-Rec letter from Aggie Top 100 alumnus

Do I have a good chance at getting in? I go to a very competitive high school (valedictorian has a W GPA of 5.4/6) and so I hope that my EC’s and high school conditions make up for my less than good grades.

@bemart14 Based on that, engineering majors (at the very least) will have a wave Monday/Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I wonder about other majors and when those waves were? @Thelma2 do you happen to have that data? :slight_smile:

@Dinkoduk It doesn’t necessarily hurt you but look at it this way, if you don’t get your first, you won’t get your second. Freshmen aren’t admitted into a specific eng. program. Everyone goes in as general engineering. You’ll apply for your top choice at the end of freshman year assuming you meet requirements. So my point is, if there’s another major you are interested in, then you should put that as option 2. My friend’s son was top 2% of local HS in Aggieland. Had all the math/sciences they want to see. He didn’t have great SAT score and only took it once. He thought he was a shoe in. He got Blinn engineering academy OR they told him since he’s autoadmit, he could pick another major. He opted for Blinn and is now a sophomore at TAMU in Mechanical Eng. That’s a long story, I know, but wanted you to get a feel for the competitiveness here, especially in Engineering.

@Jaceyk @maddc716 Last year the first wave of review admits came out the Monday before Turkey day. I hope the 2nd big wave this year is then! It’s about to get exciting for some of you and more stressful for others. The wait is the worst, but this forum definitely helps pass the time!

@robg001 Your test scores are right where they need to be and your ECs are outstanding! That rank could hurt you. Hopefully you have an upward trend on grades and spoke about it in your essay. They use rank and test scores combined to project a GPA at TAMU. That’s half the equation in determining acceptance outcomes. So you have a lot going for you. Best of luck and keep us posted when you hear back.

@AmyDiShi can you give us some more details? Like her stats, major, when she applied etc. Typically first notice of acceptance are the tabs increasing to 6 in Howdy. Then on AIS it’ll update to Whoop you’ve been accepted. Then the letter which we’ve seen take a week or two to receive. Hope this helps and Congrats to your daughter. Please provide stats for the rest of the forum to see. Thank you so much.

Does anyone know if review applicants receive decisions based on their quartile? In other words, do applicants in the first quartile receive a decision before those in the second quartile? Or are they not reviewed in that sequence?

@AggieMomhelp I started out at rank 278, and it has only increased since then (a 3.31 GPA my freshman year) so hopefully that will work in my favor. I’d love to call college station home. Also, should I upload my NHS certificate to AIS? I saw that others did so, is it necessary?

Well I went ahead and paid the $120 for my son to take the residual ACT on 11/27 even though he might be in the next wave between now and then. My son said go ahead and do it, and that if he’s in the next wave, he will pay me back the $120. :))

Hey guys. I just got off the phone with Texas A&M and they shared to me some valuable and heartbreaking information.

1. December SAT scores will not be considered past the deadline
  2. The Mays Business School is now currently FULL.
  3. They have in fact admitted review applicants already.

Looks like I’m going ahead and changing my first choice major to something other than Mays
 Best of luck to my fellow review applicants. :frowning:

Wow - Mays being full is a heartbreaker. I still don’t understand how they handle it when many kids who are accepted in May’s will end up going elsewhere. Wonder how they fill those spots?

@papimama501 review applicants are admitted based on entire application. Could be different quartiles/scores/etc. The most qualified in their eyes will be admitted first.

@futureaggie405 Not surprising Mays is full. That is typical of what we’ve seen the past few years. They actually admit more than will accept and this is how they get around having people turn them down. They have a formula for not only Mays but for the entire freshman class. In 2017 more accepted than they thought and they actually offered less for 2018 (from what I’m told). No need to change major. They will drop to your next major when they get ready to accept.

Very few review admits have been notified. I expect we’ll have 2 waves (one small on in Nov. and a larger one in Dec) and then in January
 there will be a huge wave of full admits!!! My prediction only.

@jaceyk Yay. Good for him! And you know you won’t make him pay you back if he gets in before then cause you’ll be too excited lol!

@AggieMomhelp Do you have any knowledge to drop regarding Blinn TEAM? Is there a Pathway to Business type of offer that is offered alongside Blinn TEAM? I would only accept the offer to Blinn TEAM if it is certain that I can transfer into Mays after getting the required credits. I tried looking it up but the website for Blinn TEAM is down.

On another note, is there anyone here in particular who is or know anyone who have transferred into Mays as a Blinn student?

http://blinnteam.tamu.edu/getattachment/Programs/TEAM/Pathway-to-Business-for-students-entering-TEAM-in-2018.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

Very hard to get into Mays through Blinn Team but not impossible. Check link to see what you need. You would have to be there for the full 2 years vs. just trying as a transfer student into Mays. Have you checked Econ? Depending on what you want to do, Econ is such a great major for business. More specific and you can minor in business.

@AggieMomhelp Darn I didn’t know the admissions for TAMU engineering was so highly competitive I thought with my 3.4 GPA (upward trend though) and 1320 SAT I had a good chance. But With you telling me the applicants are normally the top 2% of their high school
 Oh well haha, it’s still worth a shot. Thanks for clarifying why i should choose two majors