TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Because im applying to college station so maybe it might be more competitive there

@Dinkoduk I was only giving an example of my friend’s son being top 2%. There are a lot of students outside of the top 10 and some even in the 2nd quarter that make it into TAMU CS campus. Luckily there are also so many other options that may be given like engineering academy in Blinn, Bryan, McAllen and then also going to Galveston which you would automatically move to CS after first year requirements are met. So don’t start stressing on me, but yes, I would look into other majors that interest you unless you are dead set on Eng. regardless of decision. Truly hope the best for you.

When did you apply:14th October 2018
When did you get your UIN:17th October 2018
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: Still under review
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?:review admit
Major/College of Choice: Computer Engineering
Did you get in: No information yet
Honors program:
Class Rank: top 10%
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore)
SAT : 1300; math- 700 ;english - 600

I am an international student and I have alot of EC’s like president of student council, Awards at several conferences etc. Additionally I have Some pretty great teacher recommendations. Just out of curiosity what is the acceptance like for international students?

Hello. My son tried to get into Mays as a Freshman in 2017. He was top 10.9% with 1300 SAT. Offered Blinn Team. At that time, the guaranteed path to Mays from Blinn Team required a 3.8 overall gpa, as well as a 3.8 gpa in each required course listed (seems like 8 or 10, but I don’t have it in front of me). When he made 2 “B” 's, he knew he would not make the cut. However, he transferred as an Economics major with a minor in Finance after only one year in Blinn Team. Loves it!! (He wants to be a lawyer and Economics majors do well on the LSAT). Anyway, there was a path but only for those able to essentially make straight “A” s. Fall 2019 rules may be different. They tweak the rules each year.

@AggieMomhelp thanks!
When did you apply: 9/24 (school didn’t finish info until 10/21)
When did you get your UIN: 9/26
When did you receive your admission decision: 11/6
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic
Major/College of Choice: Business
Class Rank: n/a
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1530 math 780 reading 750
ACT (with Sub Scores) n/a
National Merit Semi

To those applicants concerned about getting into Engineering, please consider Physics as a back up major. While I was a EE, I worked with many engineers who were Physics major. As I remember, they were always the smartest in the room. If could do it all over again, I would major in Physics. You could always pick classes that suit suit your interests ie electrical, mechanical, chem etc. Good luck.

@TXDad56 great idea! I heard this Mays student say they were minoring in one of the engineering fields. Can’t remember which. Not sure they all offer it but definitely a great solution physics with eng minor. Sounds very marketable!!!

@AggieMomhelp I applied to Mays for finance as my first choice major, but knowing now that Mays is full and I haven’t been accepted yet, should I change my first choice major? My second is English. Do I have a good shot with english as the number two? or should i bump english to 1 and pick a new number two? Thank you.

@93Aggie if he likes sales/marketing, he will LOVE Industrial Distribution in the engineering college. In fact, many in the major compete in the Mays college of Business club’s Sales Initiative Competition, they do presentations, sales role play, etc.

Though he applied as a chem E major, he won’t be put in that major. He will have to earn a spot in the major he is admitted to. During the second semester, students apply to a major, listing 3-5 preferences and based on their overall GPA and their engineering core GPA, determines their acceptance into a major.

There is a past post where I explain this process in detail.

@robg001 engineering is the only major you have to be approved for. Mays is one of the only majors that’s fills up pretty quick. Most other majors are not full and therefore admissions places then directly into that choice whether it’s first or second. If some off chance both are full, they will still admit you and ask you to choose another major. Hope that makes sense.

Why not Econ? Econ abs finc majors compete for same type of jobs and you can always minor on business.

Reposting this with a bit more information than I initially supplied!

When did you apply: October 14th
When did you get your UIN: October 17th
When did you receive your admission decision: N/A
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Animal Science
Class Rank: 147/546
GPA: 3.97
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1260 (670 Reading/Writing; 590 Mathematics)
ACT (with Sub Scores): N/A
Extracurriculars:

• Band member for 3 years (Upwards of 10 hours a week, year round)
    Volunteering:
    (Mostly random, miscellaneous volunteer opportunities.)
  • Volunteer work at the Greater Houston Quarter Horse Association shows (3 hours a week)
    Additional:
  • Taken mostly AP/Dual Credit classes. 22 dual credit hours
  • Texas resident

Thank you for everyone’s insight! I’ve found this forum incredibly helpful!

Also Reposting this for new people to the forum

When did you apply: 7/9
When did you receive your admission decision: In Review
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Mays
Class Rank: 248/497
SAT: 1300, 710 Math and a 590 reading/writing
GPA: weighted 4.33, Unweighted 3.34
30 Hrs of dual credit hours
What do y’all thing my chances are for admission into the school in general and or blinn team, i am a legacy and i have internship and work experience but ik class rank is bad Thank you!!!

@AggieMomhelp - Apparently the Visualization department fills up quickly too. When we went on a tour with the Undergraduate Program Coordinator last year - he warned my daughter to apply early, because they don’t have very many spaces and it is a popular major. And during an application workshop this summer at the Houston Area Regional Prospective Student Center - they said that applying in October/early November should be fine - Unless you are wanting engineering, Mays or visualization - if you want those, shoot for August.

When did you apply: Oct 15th
When did you get your UIN: Oct 17th
When did you receive your admission decision: Nov 15th
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review Admit (ADMITTED BUT WAITING ON MAJOR)
Major/College of Choice: Computer Engineering (waiting on admission to major)
Class Rank: not offered at my school
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1380 - 700 English 680 math
ACT (with Sub Scores): never taken
Area of Admit: New York, NY
Potential Help Factors: First Generation

A big part is the essay it seems. Show them you are interested in A&M and what they can do to further your education

@caitlino - congratulations! which Quartile did Tamu assign to you?

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp , so, I am a review applicant and I applied at the beginning of August for Mays. If I have not heard anything or gotten an acceptance email or letter, does that mean I won’t get into Mays? Or will they let the majority of review applicants know if they got into Mays at a later date?

@texantexantexan they’ will accept into Tamu before they look at Mays. After they accept you into Tamu they will look at majors. For instance my son had Mays as 1st choice last year. He was accepted in 2nd wave (dec 15th) and put into his 2nd choice. Major doesn’t matter as a freshman as far as acceptance goes.

Another quiet day in wanna-be-an-Aggie land. Sigh.

maybe Monday!!!

@aggiemomhelp that would be ironic if it is - both of my Aggie wannabes are going to the AggieLand Information Day Monday. :slight_smile: