TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@aggiemomhelp DS’s has “CLASS RANK (126/931)” - no quartiles.

@AggieMomhelp I will call his high school on Monday. TAMU told my son that because his high school no longer ranks (They just started this year.) and his school listed his rank as 112/520 instead of a percentage, they put him into their system which generated the 2nd quarter. I don’t know what their system uses to base the rankings on. I am going to call them on Monday and see what I can find out. I don’t want to make anyone mad by continuing to call but this just doesn’t seem right. Thank you so much for all the help and guidance!!

Thank you @Newaggiefamily that is very encouraging! DS has 1310 SAT and 26 ACT, lots of EC, TX Boys State and great LOR. His class rank is what is hurting him, in my opinion. Do you remember when your son found out he was accepted? Thank you so much!

@AggieMomhelp and @highhopes25 , on AIS, they listed my son’s numerical class rank and class size. It didn’t list a quartile or percentage. His school doesn’t rank. The A&M admissions page states “Students at non-ranking high schools will be assigned a class rank based on reported GPA.”. I think they do this using the GPAs that schools report to the Texas Records Exchange (TREx). I assume that all Texas high schools report their GPAs to TREx. But if so, for Texas residents anyway, it’s confusing why some students are assigned a class rank/class size and others are placed in a quartile? You might want to ask his school what information they report to TREx.

My son’s show his class rank as well, no quartiles.

Thank you for the info on Texas State. It is a beautiful campus and i do remember lots of hills and stairs! It is a shame it gets such a bad rap about being a party school. I’m glad to hear that isn’t the case anymore. My son has had a few negative remarks from peers about it as well. I know I’m stressing over this more than he is. I just want him to be happy and flourish wherever he ends up!

Another question…if he gets offered the PSA route can he attend A&M Galveston campus and transfer to college station after a year even though he is an business/econ major? My friends daughter went this route this year and has fallen in LOVE with Galveston and the smaller campus and now doesn’t even plan to transfer to college station. But, her major is environmental science so a lot is offered for her there. I have looked on the website and don’t see anything offered for business majors in Galveston. Have any business majors gone this route?

@akbuffs Galveston is not a PSA school. It is Tamu through and through. All the perks of being on cstat campus but on the beach. You have to apply directly to Tamu Galveston. When you meet requirements to change your major, then you apply for change. If accepted, then you move up to cstat campus. They have a great maritime business major in Galveston. He could start there. Hit his 30 Tamu hours with 3.5 gpa (check all the Mays requirements). Students on cstat campus wanting to change major into Mays do the exact same thing. They only accept 100 students. Just FYI. It’s hard but not impossible. Hope this helps. I’m typing on my phone and feel like I totallly rambled lol

@AggieMomhelp Thank you! That clears a lot up!

@libbyshims He found out October 11. His rank is 14%. Your son has great stats! Waiting is tough. Hang in there!

@libbyshims My son said your sons sub scores are decent on his SAT and thinks he will definitely get in. What tabs are still missing on his Howdy portal?

When did you apply: 9/26
When did you get your UIN: 9/30
When did you receive your admission decision: N/A
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Animal Science
Class Rank:School does not rank
ACT (with Sub Scores)= 33

My highschool is private and very competetive, top ten percent is ten people and I wasn’t one of those ten… Hopefull will hear back soon!!

Have any review admits heard back yet?

@annmarie2000 yes, but very few based on this site. Your act should get you in as full admit.

I’m surprised nobody posted about getting accepted today! i’ve heard plenty of stories of getting accepted on/near thanksgiving

Has no review admits gotten any acceptance letters this week?

@Newaggiefamily - still only 3 tabs. His class rank is 36% - highly competitive high school in Katy- :frowning: That is the big one we think…he would be happy with BlinnTeam -as would I, his second choices are TTU, ASU and U of Oregon. Waiting on Penn St. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Wondering if we should give up hope and just say yes to TT???

When did you apply: 7/1
When did you get your UIN:
When did you receive your admission decision: waiting…
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: review
Major/College of Choice: Mays/communications
Class Rank: 132/490
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1290, R 650, M 640; superscore 1340
ACT (with Sub Scores): n/a
EC, Comm Service, leadership, LOR
GPA: 3.62/4.68
Has attended summer camp, Aggie info day, spend the night with the corp, meeting with admissions advisors 2 times (1 on his own), did Mays tour on his own.
Will graduate HS with 21 college credits.
Thoughts greatly appreciated!!!

@agclassof95mom don’t give up hope. The deadline for applying hasn’t even passed. My son didn’t find out til dec 15th last year and he too applied on July 1st. Most review admits, especially if not top 25%, won’t find out til after the new year. If TTU is his back up, I would move forward with housing deposit if that’s a thing there. Can’t hurt. We did that with Arkansas last year. Didn’t want to miss out on a sure thing. Hang in there.

@agclassof95mom We are in almost the exact same boat and very similar stats. We went ahead and put deposit on housing at TTU and picked a unit. Slim pickins and we did it the first day so I would recommend doing it right away. We are still holding out hope for either full admit or Blinn. For you, the issue may be Mays because apparently it is full however, seems there are other really good routes for business majors such as communications or economics per other posters. Hang in there…wishing you the best of luck!

Where have y’all read that Mays is full? Did A&M make an official announcement? Also wonder how it works with auto admits accepted into Mays that then decide to go elsewhere?!

@agclassof95mom we attended Aggieland Information Day on November 19 and went to the Mays presentation as well. The speaker announced that Mays was already full. It was heartbreaker for my son who is a review admit. His second choice major is Econ. Regarding the AA who don’t attend Mays, apparently they have some sort of formula they use to account for those spots. They offer more spots than what is available, knowing a certain percentage will not attend.