TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

My daughter 2019 has more than 6 tabs. Also, her major has been declared at the top of the AIS page. This means she is going to be admitted. D19 is an Academic Admit (http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted). If this is happening to you keep checking the AIS, it will change soon to “You have been admitted” and then shortly after that they will receive the coveted I’m an Aggie announcement in the mail. How do I know this?..

My other daughter that graduated HS 2017, her Howdy page moved from 3 tabs to 6 tabs and also her major was chosen at the top of the AIS page but her AIS still said her application was “In Review”. Finally about a week after we saw the AIS & Howdy page had changed, her AIS finally said “You have been Admitted” and then she got the awesome mailing notification “I’m and Aggie!”. She ended up getting the Gateway program.

I’m sure some of you will be checking status daily…it is sort of fun but nerve-racking at the same time. Good luck!

I was told by TAMU admissions that they don’t look at the major until the decision for admission has been made. In other words, the decision for admission to TAMU is not based on what major they choose. It is based on their applicaton. Then if they are admitted, they look at their major. If their first choice college is full, then they go to the second choice.

Don’t use the strategy of putting some major your student doesn’t really want just because you think it will help them get admitted to TAMU because that has nothing to do with it. If you are not an auto admit (top 10% or academic admit) then concentrate on making the application & essays & resumes as strong as possible.

Your student’s choice of major should be really something they might be interested in. It is a lot harder to change majors now days than we parents were in college. Competition is tough and even changing majors can be very competitive depending on the major. I have a daughter at TAMU Class of 2021.

Good luck!

@aggrad91 , so what might it mean if there is a major at the top of the page but only 3 tabs in the Howdy Portal?

@jazzymomof7 Once admitted, go ahead and apply for housing. There is a $75 application fee that is non-refundable. Last year, if the student applied for housing withing 30 days of admission, they were given priority housing status. I’m not sure if it’s the same this year or not. Below is from their website https://reslife.tamu.edu/procedures/

Students must be officially admitted to Texas A&M before they are eligible to apply for on-campus housing and every effort will be made to accommodate as many freshmen as possible. Housing assignments will be made on a first-come, first-served basis—established by the housing priority date, which is defined as the date the housing application, including fee, is received in the Housing Assignments Office. Preferred housing will be given to freshmen who apply for housing after being admitted to Texas A&M, if space is available. Apply as soon as possible because space is limited.

Regarding merit scholarships, we didn’t receive notification until the spring (my son was admitted in the fall).

Not sure about that but when your Howdy page goes from 3 tabs to 6 tabs (My Record, My Finances, Student Life), you can be pretty sure your student will be accepted in some way. Now that could mean Blinn Team, Gateway, or Program for System Admission. http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

@aggrad91 You are correct that an applicant is accepted into the university first and then they place the applicant into the major if it is open. If it is not, they are placed in their second choice major from the application. If that major too is full, they are then asked to choose from available open majors.

Review applicants did not begin to receive an admission decision until Nov 20 for class 2021 and Nov 21 for class 2022, after Mays was full. In the last 3 A&M admission cycles, Mays has filled to capacity before decisions for review applicants began to be released.
Last year, there were several review applicants who were offered full admissions to College Station but were given their second choice major, as Mays was full by the time they received their admissions. I believe @AggieMomhelp son was one of them.

@aggrad91 if a student gets PSA, they do not get the 6 tabs. PSA notifications are the last to go out (historically) which would be end of Feb or March.

If you have 6 tabs, click on manage applications (in howdy, not AIS)… it will show major or Team or Galveston or McAllen. This way you’ll know for sure what you’ve been admitted to (possibly before AIS updates).

@Thelma2 you are correct. My son applied Mays was given second choice of Ag Bus and before NSC he changed it to Econ. Loving it so far.

to @aggrad91’s point: Apply for the major your student wants. ONLY in transferring does the major matter at admission.

How are people getting their files completed? Our school isn’t even sending transcripts for two more weeks.

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I sent my transcripts AUG 22 via mail. I was just curious to when I should be clearned and have no more red X’s everything else is turned in. I applied to Mays Buissness and I am worried that I will not get in. I am an auto-admit because I am top ten percent. Can someone please reassure me? Thanks

Hey, I was looking throughout forum for details regarding Mays Buissness and limited enrollment. Can you please explain in more details I.e; when Mays Buissness Undergrad usually fills up? Thanks @Thelma2

@2019MomHP Some high schools release transcripts by the third week in June. In our ISD for instance (there are 5 high schools) Juniors can begin requesting transcripts in May and they pick them up from their home school after they are certified, which is like the third week in June and there is a window of time to do this. After that, they are picked up at the ISD office. When my son was applying in 2015, he sent his transcripts to the Uni’s he was applying to on Aug 1. Other ISD’s do it differently and do not make transcripts available until after the start of the new year, though the transcript is technically only for 6 semesters, through the end of Jr. year.

@aggiesolider Keep checking your AIS for it to be marked off. Oftentimes they have it and it shows in your file in house but they just have not updated the AIS portal. That said, do keep an eye on it and make a call if you don’t see a change in another week. My son had an issue with his transcript in that when it was printed, it only contained the first semester of Jr year and not the second. Of course, we didn’t know that because they are sealed when you get them. His portal never showed a green check mark, though he had sent it on Aug.1. It was the portal for another Uni that said “Transcript incomplete” that prompted a call. New transcripts were then ordered and sent.

As to Mays filling up, there are 1000 seats for incoming freshmen to Mays. https://mays.tamu.edu/undergraduate-enrollment-plan-2016-2018/
Being that it is the first of September, you should be fine in getting a spot. There is not a specific date it fills by. It fills as applicants accept their offer of admission. A&M extends more offers of admissions than it will enroll.

I like stats so I broke down a slide into percentages.

This is from a 2018 slide presented by the office of admissions. Freshman class 22 by the numbers. 41,760 total applicants.
Admits:
26.7% - Top 10% 11,159
11.1% - Academic 4,646
9.9% - Review full 4,115
9.1% - Review Alternative 3,813

27.6% -PSA 11,518
15.6% - Denied 6,509 (when I went with my daughter to a regional TAMU application workshop meeting - they said the majority of the denials were incomplete or late applications)

So I looked at further - to see the distribution of the Holistic Review applicants - I removed the Top 10, Academic, and Denials/incomplete. That left 19,446 of what I would term competitive holistic review applications.

59.2% - PSA
21.1% - Review full
19.6% - Review alternative

@BlueBayouAZ Thanks for providing what was shared at the session. This is very comparable to the class of 2021. 42,000 applications, 27,000 of them holistic review. 19,800 were offered full admissions (top 10%, Academic Admit, review admit) with 3800 review admits being offered full admissions. http://web-as.tamu.edu/ecardimages/2017/CounselorConnection/updateSPRING.html

The DARS report will be available later and I wish they broke it down like this. They only differentiated the top 10% applied/admitted/enrolled and not the academic admits and review admits. link below to the DARS (Data and Research Services) page

If you likes stats, you will find this fun reading. Common data for class 2021.https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/CDS_2017-2018.aspx

Common data, apply/admit/enroll data, etc for as many years as you want to go back is here. Click on “Student” https://dars.tamu.edu/

My son’s class, 2022, Freshman by the numbers poster that was put out was 40,673 applications, 22,385 admitted and 9705 enrolled. However the Applied/Enrollment report breaks it down by “First Time in College” (meaning Freshmen) vs Total Applications Received, as being 34,180 total applications and 6085 were transfer, and another 429 re-admits plus 17,496 graduate applications. So, the word “Total Applications” means more than just freshmen, but may not include graduate students.

When did you apply: August 19
When did you get your UIN: August 21
When did you receive your admission decision: Waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto-Admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays Business
Class Rank: 45/576
SAT/ACT (with Sub Scores) Lets not talk about these.

My profile is still incomplete because counsels haven’t sent my transcript yet. Hoping that Myas business does not close up when my profile is complete.

Hey y’all, I applied to TAMU on 9/4 and made my AIS account on 9/6.
I chose engineering (aerospace and mechanical) as my 1st & 2nd choice major.
SAT: 1250 (R:630 M:620)
ACT: 29 (W:8 E:25 M:27 S:33 R:32)
I have 3 tabs in AIS, however I don’t think my counselor has sent my transcript because it and the class ranking have a red X.
I’m an auto admit but worried about getting into engineering because of my ACT & SAT.

When did you apply: August 31
When did you get your UIN: Sept 4
When did you receive your admission decision: Waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Should be Auto-Admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering (Materials Science)
Class Rank: 29/615
SAT/ACT (with Sub Scores) 1380 (750 Math)

I only have 3 tabs right now

For my daughter…

When did you apply: July 24
When did you get your UIN: July 26
When did you receive your admission decision: waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Allied Health
Class Rank: 21/545 (top 4%)
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1380, R-710/M-670
ACT (with Sub Scores) 33, E-35/R-34/S-32/M-30

My daughter submitted her appliwhen it opened in July as an auto admit. She has tried several times to change her najor to allied health but it never comes up as on option for her. Any idea why not?

When I look at the stats I with they would break down the Review candidates. How many were Reviewed because they were Engineering vs Review because they weren’t Top 10 or Auto Admit.

Trying not to worry but just found out my daughter is in 2nd Quarter at her school (It’s a small private school and there are approx 130 in her class). She has a 3.8 and a 33 ACT. This makes her a review admit. She applied 2 weeks ago and her app is in review. She has many volunteer hours and is in the student leadership committee at our church. I saw on another thread that 90% of incoming freshman are in the first Quarter of their class. Should I be worried??

I’m making her apply to other schools but she has her heart set on A&M!