TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieDreamin The results in post 1103 and 1104 were review applicants to the university for majors other than engineering. There have been academic and auto admits, though few, who were offered Blinn Engineering Academy instead of full admissions to engineering and others, again, though few, offered any major other than engineering. I can’t tell you why other than speculate.

@runsince6 My son is in review as well and took the SAT in 12/1. I emailed through Howdy and asked about 12/1 scores. I was told the 12/1 test scores could be added to the application, but would not count toward admission consideration. Scores are scheduled to be released on 12/14 and even if they are rushed it isn’t in time for A&Ms deadline to furnish all application materials (12/8, I think).

My son’s score is on par with your daughter, and she is higher in rank…he is 22%. I wasn’t hoping a higher score could give him the boost he needs, but it doesn’t look like it will help for AM. Just praying for a chance at TEAM and we we’d be happy!

@stewbie2 ok…that made me choke up a little. You have much to be proud and thankful about…thanks for sharing!

@highhopes25 , I believe her UW is 3.76. Not sure about weighted. This semester is her first 2 AP classes. I believe she had 2 Honors classes before this. Yes, I know I’m shocked and greatly relieved at her ranking and yes feeling undeserving a bit. It’s a very good private school in DFW which is all I can account for this. Naviance shows high yield from A&M.

My sons friend from school had applied to Mays at the end on October with 1500 SAT and rank 1st quarter (By TAMU)
got admission to ECON today. Looks like they have started to direct Mays Auto/Academic admit applicants to their second choice.

here’s my son’s info:

When did you apply: 11/27
When did you get your UIN: 11/30
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: Waiting
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering - Computer Science
Did you get in: waiting
Class Rank: 204/784
SAT (with Math Subscore): 1300 (Math:650 Reading:640)
GPA: unweighted:3.80 weighted:4.7
AP Classes: Physics, Computer Science, English, Econ, Government, History,
EC: Game Design Club, Summer job as QA and SW apprentice

What are his chances for admission?

@highhopes25 - were they a ranking high school on July 1, 2018 when the applications opened? That would seem to make the difference. And I get what they are saying. (but as a parent - this seems crazy to me).

The waiting is killing me more than her. My grandfather, my father and I are all Aggies.

When did you apply: Sept 19
When did you get your UIN: Sept 23
When did you receive your admission decision: n/a
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Human Resource Development/Education
Class Rank: Top Quarter by TAMU (non-ranking private school in DFW)
ACT (with Sub Scores) 29: Reading 36, English 33, Math 25, Science 25
GPA 4.0 Weighted

6 AP’s AP English, AP Literature, AP Statistics, AP Psychology, AP Government, AP History

Very competitive private college prep school. Class of 100.
Varsity Field Hockey four years. Varsity Tennis 4 years. Co Captain Field Hockey. 200 volunteer hours in high school through various charities. President of NCL grade level. Awards from NCL. Summer camp tribal leader. Diagnosed dyslexic but still scored a perfect score on Reading section of ACT, twice. Part time job. Heart for service.

Will take Blinn Team. Great essay, LORs.

Never thought she would be an Aggie, so I am thrilled but SO nervous. So hoping a wave will be released soon and she will not have to wait until March!

Thoughts on her chances? Thoughts on College of Education chances?

Thank you for your service to this community…ya’ll are amazing and such a great resource!

@BlueBayouAZ I have no idea when the title of his school actually changed from ranking to non-ranking but I did find this article about when the vote was held. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Frisco-School-Board-Votes-on-Class-Rankings-485198771.html

This article is from June 12th. While that date is before July 1st, the article (along with Frisco ISD’s handbook) specifically states that this change will happen in the 2018-2019 school year. Texas A&M is looking at the transcripts and is basing their decision upon his work done up through the 2017-2018 school year which includes his rank. This article also states that Frisco ISD will categorize kids by top 25%, 50%, etc. but they haven’t done that yet for my son because they don’t start until the end of the 2018-2019 school year. It just seems he is really getting the shaft on this. It is extremely frustrating. Everything else looks good (ECs, leadership roles, volunteer hours, essays, 1330 on SAT) but this 2nd quarter ranking is killing him. I could handle it if his actual ranking wasn’t sitting right in front of them and just being ignored but unfortunately, that is exactly what is happening.

@highhopes25 We are rolling in the same district (Frisco ISD) with similar frustrations. I have to admit that I thought it would be a good thing when they said they would stop ranking but feel now that we are significantly disadvantaged by this system. I am also starting to wonder if A&M is somewhat punishing kids from non-ranking schools as a way to show their displeasure that they stopped ranking because it causes more work for them.

@momof4teens First… you have 4 teenagers? God bless you. How do you do it? lol

As for daughter’s chances: Huge chance at full admit and hearing sooner rather than later. All of her stats look above average. As for COEd, once she’s admitted, she’ll be placed in her first choice major. There’s no further review. If it’s full, which it won’t be, then she’d be placed in second choice. Please keep us posted and try to breathe!

Hi everyone! I’m a high school senior that is anxiously waiting on a decision. I am a review admit and I applied on 10/30 and received my UIN a few days later.

Here are my stats:
Major: Biology or Molecular & Cell biology (I’m okay with either)
GPA: UW 3.45
Rank: 51% (I attend an extremely competitive high school and I’m TERRIFIED that this will hurt me)
ACT: 28 (28 in all sections)
AP: 4’s on Bio, Psych, EnvSci. Plan to take Chem, Physics, and Stats exam in May.

I know that SAT Subject Tests are not required or recommended but I took one for another school and submitted it to A&M anyways. I took Biology-E in October. Scored a 690/800 (I haven’t done any intense prep since May but I thought that score was decent)

I am a AP + PLTW Scholar for Biomedical Science.

I’ve taken mainly Pre-ap & AP classes. I’ve taken science & math classes than the average student. I’d also say that I’m pretty consistent from semester to semester.

EC: I’ve been on a varsity sports team all of high school. (15+ hrs a week from August-May. This has taken up most of my time outside of school). I was captain Junior year and I’m captain for my Senior year.

I spent my summer volunteering at a summer camp for 4hrs a day during the week from June to August. (Did this for 3 summers). I also volunteered for the parks&rec camps in my community for about 1 month last summer. I also spoke at City Council last summer on the behalf of my sports club.

LOR: From a teacher who knows me well and is an Aggie alum (not sure if that will help or not).

I worked extremely hard on my essay and had multiple people review it. One said it was “one hell of an essay”

Hopefully I have a good chance at getting in.
What are y’all’s opinions? Did I leave anything out? Thank you in advance.

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2
Any thoughts on my son’s chances of getting in based on his info below? It feels like so many have already heard back and we are getting a bit discouraged. Thanks for any thoughts!
When did you apply: 08/10
When did you get your UIN: 8/15
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: Waiting
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering - Chem Eng first choice; Mech Eng second choice
Did you get in: waiting
Class Rank: 88/654 (top 14%)
SAT (with Math Subscore): 1310 (Math:670 Reading:640)
GPA: 3.89
AP Classes: This year only - Engineering Design, Calculus; Dual credit Eng;
Extracurricular not strong: 2 years basketball, 1 year choir, 1 year baseball, Chik-Fil-A leadership (this year); Youth In Philanthropy organization (this year)
Good essay

@tamuhopeful2023 You are correct in that many engineering review candidates found out from admissions that they have been accepted but waiting on engineering review. Is that what you mean or are you still waiting on tamu admissions? @thelma2 is so much better at looking at engineering candidates. They look for physics and calculus readiness as far as getting into engineering. As for getting into TAMU, I believe he’ll get full admission, but not sure about engineering.

@tamu23plz You are definitely science minded. That’s great! You are right about your ranking killing you. I’m not sure how many 3rd quarter students get in. If your ACT were into the 30s, I would say you had a shot, but a 28 may not cut it with that ranking. You look really well rounded and I know you’ll do great wherever you end up. If it’s Team or another way to get to TAMU, then just put in the work like you’ve been doing and you’ll be here in no time. Probably not the opinion you wanted to hear, but keep in mind it is just MY opinion and I hope I’m wrong!!! Best of luck and please keep us posted!

@AggieMomhelp Thank you! Can you please explain “Team”?

@AggieMomhelp Thank you for responding. We are still waiting on admissions to TAMU and admission to engineering. Would he be admitted to TAMU if he isn’t admitted to engineering since he put that down as both first and second choice? I just assumed that he’d only get in if he got into the school of engineering.
Thanks again for your response!

@AggieDreamin It is very frustrating and discouraging. These kids work their tails off in order to get into their dream school only to be told their senior year by their dream school that they won’t look at the rank their high school sent and they don’t really have a standard as to how they determine ranking for students whose high schools decide to become non-ranking. Last night was the first time throughout this process that I saw my son truly discouraged. It’s hard to watch. Everything about his application looks so good except that rank which is completely hurting his chances and shouldn’t be.

What school are you at in Frisco?

Should I be worried that the portal is still showing that my son’s application is incomplete because they have received but not reviewed his HS transcript? It’s been like that since 11/9. Should I have my son send an email to admissions?

@highhopes25 We are at Reedy…how about you? My daughter missed the cutoff by .04 on her GPA per the school profile that is sent and is now lumped into 2nd Quartile but your situation is worse given he would have been 1st Quartile. It may have been the GPA…my daughter has a 4.806 Weighted GPA and was placed in 2ndQ. I know it is what it is with the class rank but it just isn’t a good or fair mechanism to rate these kids.