TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@leigh1020 My D18 was a review admit last year and was fully accepted on Dec. 15. It was a long process with lots of waiting! Your D’s resume and essays will make her stand out.

@leigh1020 2nd quarter review admits are typically not accepted in general but that does not mean it doesn’t happen. Like where does she fall in that 2nd quarter? 26% vs. 40% is a huge difference. ACT is amazing and that will definitely work in her favor. ECs look good too. IF you can get a strong LOR submitted, that can help as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

@Thelma2 would you recommend sending an 1270 SAT (math 670 and English 600) when the ACT seems to be a little better 28 With Math 29 and English 27?

We’re from a nonranking district and my son was also #1. Registrar told me that nonranking districts are required to put the rank on the transcript for the top 10% and my son’s transcript says #1 out of X number of total students.

@Tintop, does your son’s rank show on the AIS as #1 or top quarter? My daughter has been told the school can lose their accreditation if they put her rank on the transcript. (She is #1 at a non ranking school) I’m just trying to figure out if she should contact TAMU. Her AIS says top quarter.

It states his rank and the number of students “1/556”

@BlueBayouAZ Put both. Tamu will use what benefits the student the most. They will not use a low score against you.

@seniormom2000 Engineering holistic review is a separate process from holistic review for admission into the university. Every applicant wanting an engineering major is holistically reviewed for the major AFTER they are accepted into the university, whether it be by top being a 10%, Academic Admit or Holistic Review applicant.

@momosmom What did she choose when she applied? My daughter chose Allied Health as her first choice and Community Health as her second. In AIS, it shows just Health as her 1st choice, Community Health as second. Not sure why it doesn’t say Allied Health.

Basic Exercise Physiology was her first choice. After doing contact us through AIS, they changed it for us today. She will be an auto admit and shouldn’t have a problem getting into major based on ranking, gpa, and act score. Now we are just hoping changing her major won’t affect her official acceptance. Kids needing to decide a career right out of high school is tough.

For my daughter

Applied July 25
UIN July 28
Review admit
Major 1st choice - Psychology
2nd choice - Investigative Sciences
Class rank - 268/1608 (top 16%)
GPA - 4.1
SAT - 1310 (630 Eng 680 Math)
ACT - 28

@tdawns Won’t be an issue with those stats. Very similar stats for my son last year (and many others). My son got into econ in December (15th I think). Keep us posted!

@leigh1020 , please update about ur kids status. My Kids falls under the same boat as a review candidate with 26 in ACT , Top 30% (School Rank) and applying for Biology and Health Science as 1st and 2nd Choice. Thanks.

@momosmom Glad you got it changed. Can you tell me if hers now shows actually as “allied health” in AIS? I’m trying to figure out why my daughter’s says just “health” when she chose Allied Health. Thanks!

@aggie9293 AIS has it listed as health. Under manage my application is shows BS-EDHL-AHO. I’m assuming its the dept of education/human development-allied health option. At least I’m hoping that’s what it means. Her previous major choice was dept of health/kinesiology BEP basic exercise physiology. Now I guess we just get to impatiently wait for official acceptance. We were concerned changing majors may delay acceptance even though she should be an auto admit into most degree plans.

@Tintop , I had my daughter send a question through the portal about her rank not showing as #1. Turns out, her guidance counselor did not include the total number of students in her class so they could not use it. They said if she intends on applying for scholarships, she needs to get the guidance counselor to send another letter stating how many students.

@TXRunningMom , did she submit her question through AIS > Contact Us > Ask A Question? And how long did it take for a reply? That’s very unfortunate about her ranking. Can it be corrected at this stage?

@CamandCam , yes, she sent it through the AIS Ask a Question. She sent it before bedtime I think and it was answered by the time she got home from school! They said if she wants to be apply for scholarships, then she should have her guidance counselor resend a letter with the total number of students. I am so glad that we double checked on this because it sounds like it really needs to be corrected for scholarship purposes.

For my son

Applied on 7/11
Received UIN on 7/13
Academic Admit, In state
Major: Applied Mathematical Sciences – Computational Emphasis
Class Rank: 1st Quartile
SAT: 1420
Application Status:Complete and In Review but got 6 tabs today 9/13!