TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@JaceyK I have the same question. @AggieMomhelp @Thelma2 , if I have not heard anything yet as a review admit is a full admission offer gone?

My first major choice is business and second is Econ, if major choice makes a difference on when you hear if you got in?

@texantexantexan Noooo
 very very very few review admits have heard. That’s 3 verys. Seriously, come feb if you haven’t heard THEN it is possible that a full offer may not be made.

@texantexantexan major (aside from engineering) has nothing to do with when you hear. Majors only count for transfer students. My son LOVES econ even though it is online for their first class. He sees how versatile it is. So if econ is where you land, it’ll be okay.

I need advice.
I am thinking about changing my major from Psychology to the University Studies: Child Professional Services. I like the US: CPS degree more and it ties in better to what I want to do after college. However I am scared that if I change my major this late in AIS and have already been waiting since October, that it may hurt my chances or even prolong my never-ending wait. I also don’t know if the Child Professional Services degree would even be achievable or available if I got offered another pathway. WHAT SHOULD I DO!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

@treehugger2023 my advice would be to sit tight this late in the process and just change major after acceptance. My son did ag business as 2nd choice after Mays. Then after acceptance he changed it to econ. All it took was an email to advisor. Easy peasy.

@flyer36 Thank you for responding. Glad to hear about your experience! I am hopeful that he gets full admission direct to A&M since he will already have two years of college complete. We are keeping our fingers crossed! Thanks again.

@DrMcSwag I don’t think your daughter messed up. If she told you she was certain she listed engineering as her first choice, she probably did. I have heard of others logging in and seeing their 2nd choice major listed as both their 1st and 2nd choice. They were top 10% applying to Mays Business. When they logged in at a later date to check status, Mays was no longer listed. Their 2nd choice was listed in the 1st and 2nd slot. I’m assuming it was because Mays is full and since they are top 10%, they were automatically offered admittance to their 2nd choices. @Thelma2 have you heard of this?

@houstonheat Yes, that is exactly what happened. When one is full, it defaults to the next one when they are reviewing candidates. It’s typically a sign of a quick decision coming (especially for review admits).

I really hope there is a wave of review admit acceptances this week and I really hope its for our kids in this group!! Ugh. This wait is agonizing! We want an early Christmas miracle! :smiley:

I 100% agree with your comment @jaceyK The wait is excruciating

@houstonheat Yes, I have heard that for Mays for auto and academic admits. But it is not the same process for review admit to engineering. Whole different can of worms.

@AggieMomhelp In the past two cycles for review admits to engineering, there has not been a review applicant who had their major change from first choice engineering to their second choice major. As a review applicant, they were offered some type of engineering decision, be it full, Galveston, or an engineering academy.

Here is another thought, but I need someone who applied to engineering to answer it. For class 2020, the year before holistic review began, when a student applied, both first and second choice major HAD to be an engineering major. Since I cannot access an Apply Texas Application for this past cycle, when you applied for engineering for Fall 2019, was there a requirement to list both majors as engineering?

For class 2020, if both major choices were not listed as engineering, the application was not considered by engineering and it rolled to the second choice major listed, then if accepted, that is the major you were placed in.

That scenario above depends on if it is still required to list both major choices as engineering like it was for class 2020. I never thought about it for the past two cycles.

When my son applied to Engineering, he did list 2 different disciplines as his choices but I don’t recall that it required him to do so. He also sent a question through AIS asking about changing his 2nd major to Economics so he had a non-engineering option if he wasn’t admitted to Eng. Their response was that typically second choice major changes are not processed and if he wasn’t accepted into Eng and didn’t have a viable second choice, in order to accept his admission he would have to choose a new major and could choose Econ. Hope that helps!

@Thelma2 Apply Texas allowed 1st choice Eng. and 2nd choice non-Eng.

@momtoonly and @GoodBull91 Thank You! That helps a lot. Was either of your applicants a top 10 or academic? In the past two years, I kept stats for the review applicants and the all applicant types for engineering and no engineering review for admission to the university admits (not to be confused with the holistic review process every engineering applicant undergoes for the major) ever had their major change to second choice.

Also, if they did that, there are a lot of engineering review applicants on the engineering thread and I have not heard of any others, nor on the closed Aggie Parent or Aggie Engineering Parent group.

Thelma2 You mentioned to stay in hotel for NSC if anyone will accompany student. Just curious as to why. It seems that it would be more convenient to be on campus. I understand that it won’t be luxurious. Can you elaborate?

@Thelma2 my son is a review applicant (2 points away from required Math ACT for academic
so close)

@thelma2 yes sorry, only meant non engineering. Was in context of Mays. I know a lot are worried because it’s full and it’s their first choice. They will auto go to 2nd choice. Definitely different for engineering.

And I think it’s been answered. But yes, my nephew did eng as first and FIVs as second. Not sure that helps or not lol

@1st time Aggie. I believe if you stay on campus for NSC it’s at white creek apartments on westside. Pretty far from everything you’d end up driving to main campus. There are shuttles tho that will take you. So basically just as easy and convenient staying at a nearby hotel. There are several close by and many around town. Everything is 15 minutes away at most from campus.

@Thelma2, Review

@1st time Aggie @AggieMomhelp For NSC, rooms are also available in some of the modular style dorms close to the commons area (southeast corner of campus I believe). Registration is now open for NSC for the white creek apartments or the dorms. Think it just opened today.
https://reslife.tamu.edu/guests/nsc/