TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@texaggie Shouldn’t that be ACT below 30 are under review since 30 was the cutoff for academic admit?

@texaggie where do we find the information that Engineering is full? Thank you

also wondering what the point of applying by Engineering ED date is if we will still be waiting until possibly January to hear on just TAMU admission yet alone Engineering Admission.

@momtoonly engineering isn’t full. You’re right. It doesn’t work like that for the major. They are still reviewing eng candidates.

Mays, however, is full. No clue about any other majors but unless they are super small programs, then I cannot imagine many are full. I know some like dance and viz may be different.

@AggieMomhelp thank you! TAMU’s admission process is much more complicated than the others he’s applied to and heard back from within a few weeks to a month. If I’m reading the Engineering page right, since he applied by the Early Action deadline he should hear something either way by mid December so hoping that’s the case!

“”*Any SAT 1260(83%) / ACT 27(83%) and below are in Review
*Competitive Majors are Likely Full: like Mays-Business, CS/Engineering, Ag/Life Sci-Bio

Top 2 distinctive academic reason for full admission. Rankings among peers.

Class Ranking percentile(top 25%) and SAT/ACT Ranking percentile(top 90%)"

Oh how i wish @texaggie is correct (Daughter with 1270 SAT and 28 ACT (29 math, 27 english)) except for the number of spaces to fill with review applicants.

It looks the @texaggie may have rounded a little - this is the stats I got from admissions for last year.

Review full 4,115
Review Alternative 3,813 (Blinn and Gateway)
Totally review applicants offered on campus pathway - 7,946

And PSA was 11,518

(Denial was 6,509 - but we were told the majority of those were incomplete. I think that is why people look at PSA is a pseudo rejection - because it sounds like the only folks totally denied that completed the application process on time have serious academic issues. I’ve followed last years thread like this - and I can’t recall seeing a denial.)

@bluebayouaz Would you happen to know what the straight up definition of denied for incomplete applications? Not sure if you recall, but that was a huge concern for me - my ADHD son hit submit too soon without realizing he had sections not filled out. He submitted supplemental documents outlining his participation in organizations as well as volunteer hours. Really hoping they didn’t nip his application without seeing the additional documentation. Sigh.

@JaceyK - I’m no expert, but the admission application workshop at the Houston prospective student center really made it sound like the denials were from people who did not reach the “My App Is Complete And In Review” in AIS. Like didn’t bother to send test scores, class rank or transcripts.

@BlueBayouAZ Okay, I hope so - I know I had called admissions in October to ask what he could do since he couldn’t edit his application, and that is what they followed up with - submit document via AIS detailing his ECs and Volunteer hours. I know I am over-analyzing waaay too much about this. Wish they would put me out of my misery and just accept him already!! ;:wink:

Just to clarify, not all denials of Admission to TAMU were for incomplete applications.

A team mate of my younger daughter (HS Class of 2017) was denied admission to TAMU. I am sure that her application was complete. Both of her parents and at least one Grandparent were Aggies with season football tickets, and this was the ONLY school that this girl wanted to go to, I seriously doubt that they left ANYTHING incomplete on her application.

I don’t know what that girl’s class rank, gpa, or test scores were, but I know that she took SAT prep classes to raise her test score. She turned in her application on the first day it was open, which was August 1, 2016 for their year, I think. She was in a 4 year school EC with a Leadership position, also participated in a Buddy position for special needs students, had a lot of volunteer hours. I don’t know for sure that she had LOR’s, but I would expect that someone in her Leadership role had at least an LOR from the sponsor of that EC.

The HS was a very competitive school, if someone had a 3.5 gpa, they were not even in the top 50% of the school. There are always 30+ NMSF at the school, usually more than half the number for the entire ISD (10+ schools), the average SAT for the HS is around 1250. No idea where this girl ranked.

In January of 2017, she and her parents signed a lease on an apartment in the Northgate area of CStat as they were starting to worry that she would not earn admission to TAMU and therefore would not get into a TAMU dorm, and they wanted to make sure that she had a place to live in CStat. Their Plan B was for her to go to Blinn College to begin with and then transfer to TAMU.

In mid Feb 2017, the girl was notified that she was denied admission to TAMU. She then decided on a PTA program at Blinn College. She made friends and participated in everything possible on the TAMU campus. And though I am not in contact with her or her family, as far as I know, she is on target to be a full admit Aggie for next year.

I have no idea why that girl was denied admissions to TAMU. I don’t think that they appealed the decision as they had already decided that their Plan B of 2 years at Blinn College before TAMU would work for her.

Probably a lot of denied applications are incomplete, but not all of them are. Where you finish is what is important. Have a Plan B just in case.

So, if my son’s portal still has Mays listed as his first choice major, does that mean they haven’t initiated his review process? Wondering if that means he won’t get an answer until after the New Year.

@papimama501 NO that just means they haven’t made a decision. In the past, we saw the change to major the day or two before the tabs and notification. Because again, the major isn’t reviewing the application and the major has no bearing on the decision (aside from Eng.). So when they go to accept, they’ll change it to the correct major so it all updates properly on Howdy and AIS etc.

Gotcha. Suffering from over analysis! Thanks @AggieMomhelp

@papimama501 Girl… we got you. We’ve either been there or are there. = )

@AggieMomAgain - I want to be clear, I never said all denials were incomplete. But the presentation I went to specifically said MAJORITY (either large or significant majority can’t recall the exact wording) of the denials were incomplete applications. If you are looking at a simple majority - that means as many as 3,190 could have been denied for other reasons last year, including legal issues.

And as mom of kids in a crazy competitive school where 3.78 is 40% - I feel the pain.

While I am surprised she wasn’t one of kids offered PSA based on everything you have said about her, I wonder if she was in the bottom half of her class and fell below the Texas Success Initiative scores on standardized testing. We know sub-scores play a factor in admission. I wonder if they do in denials too.

SAT (administered on or after March 5, 2016):
A minimum score of 530 on the Mathematics test for a TSI exemption in math (no combined score required);
A minimum score of 480 on the Evidenced-Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) for a TSI exemption in both reading and writing (no combined score required)

ACT
A student must first achieve a minimum composite score of 23 with:
At least 19 on math for an exemption in math
and/or
At least 19 on English for an exemption in reading and writing

TAKS
A minimum score of 2200 in math for an exemption in math
and/or
2200 in English Language Arts–with a writing sub-score of 3–for an exemption in reading and writing.

@BlueBayouAZ : I was also surprised that the girl wasn’t offered PSA. And I was surprised that they didn’t appeal the decision. I have no idea if she fell below the Texas Success Initiative scores, I guess that is possible, perhaps on the Math portion. I don’t think she had any classes other than the EC with my daughter (HS 2017 to Blinn-TEAM) so I don’t really know if she had an issue with anything.

She was/is a well spoken, vivacious, creative, very talented, out-going young woman. I would bet that she will graduate with a degree and ring from TAMU. :slight_smile:

Good luck to everyone still waiting for an admissions decision. Make sure you have a Plan B just in case. There just aren’t enough seats at TAMU for everyone who wants to be an Aggie to get in as a Freshman.

@AggieMomAgain Did she explicitly say she wasn’t offered PSA? Just curious…my daughter wants to be in CStat so if she is offered PSA she will likely just go to Blinn directly and transfer as well…her Plan B :slight_smile: But for the record…still praying for full admit or Blinn Team [-O<

I’m stuck at the house with waiting on a repair guy with a 5 hour window. It’s a dangerous thing @Thelma2 - I’m diving into stats again.

https://accountability.tamu.edu/All-Metrics/Mixed-Metrics/Student-Information-by-Texas-County

This one is absolutely fascinating. You can click on all the counties and get student profiles. It looks like like some of the students from counties like Travis, Williamson, Denton, Ft Bend, with suburbs known for their “competitive schools” have only 30% of their A&M students coming from the Top 10 percent of their class. Where city and rural schools have over 50 and sometimes 80 percent of their students coming from the top 10 percent.

This interactive graphic goes against what statement “the competitiveness of the high school is not a factor.” This graphic shows counties known for high performing schools have a higher percentage of students not in the top 10 percent of their class attending TAMU.

Now I’m assuming that the rigor of the classwork these students accomplished and their ACT/SAT scores is probably a factor.

@BlueBayouAZ That data just gave me more anxiety - definitely need help. Already drilled down to the detail and not happy with the numbers. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

It’s almost 5. Then it’s acceptable to drink some wine and breathe!

@aggiemomhelp LOL - already planning on it and making chocolate peanut butter balls for work party tomorrow - haha - should be fun!! :)) 8-} @-)