TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieMomhelp thank you! I think it’s based on his school profile which is insane. Since they don’t rank at his school TAMU base it on his class profile - I will certainly call just in case. My guess is he needed a 4.0 to be in first quarter at his school.

@LilBrazil That is great she got the Jr placement. And you can’t beat the money. My DS turned his down from UTA for A&M Engineering. Had it paid for at UTA and got nothing from A&M, but oh well… DD started out at an OOS university, transfered to UTA, got into the Business schools honors, only to change majors 2 weeks before classes began. So, another 2 years taking the nursing pre reqs. She will be behind 2 years in graduating on time but she has found where she thrives (though I tried to steer her in that direction as an incoming freshman but hey, she is there now). As we say here on CC A LOT, it is not where you start but where you finish. Not all paths are the same and sometimes, there are detours.

@papimama501 @AggieMomhelp My daugther also had a 3.8 unweighted GPA and got 2Q too. It is the curse of competitive schools these days. But defintiely don’t want to beat that dead horse again :))

@Thelma2 Does the engineering department look at the highest math sub score or the math score of the highest SAT? My highest math score is a 750 but my combined highest SAT is a 1310 with a 730 math score.

@Thelma2 If an application made it in by the early decision deadline, will there be a decision made in AIS this month? i.e. Accepted, Deferred, Denied, etc? Or will it just stay in review?

Well scratch my understanding - our school does not provide a profile anymore so it’s all based on TAMU that he was placed in 2nd quartile. I’ve submitted a question to Admissions after speaking to the high school counselor who encouraged me to do so.

From what we’ve read on here earlier in the year, it’s only once a day. I still always checked a few times a day just in case :wink:

@txmom23, someone with more knowledge I’m sure will chime in, but in the Howdy Portal, if the applicant goes from having 3 tabs at the top of their page to 6 tabs, an acceptance letter is sure to follow within the next couple of weeks. The various tabs give you more access within the portal to access things like financial aid, class schedule, etc.

@Thelma2 If your HS ranks, how will your ranking show in AIS? Will it show as 1Qtr or will it list as 280/1400?

@txmom23 It shows the 280/1400

@aggiedad2023 Be sure you go sign up for housing and NSC now.

Congratulations all!! DS not in this wave ?

Just checked for my daughter. Still 3 tabs. :frowning:

UGH @jaceyk and @bluebayou Stay hopeful. They can’t accept everyone in one wave… but I know how hard it is going into the holidays without an answer. I still have positive thoughts on your students… it’s just a matter of time!

@miaggie1 If you applied by the early decision date for engineering, that means you “could” receive a decision by December and that decision will only be for full admissions. They do not give out any other admission decision until they are ready to give them all. They don’t give out Engineering Galveston, academy decisions, PSA or denials early. Those won’t go out until all of the full admissions are done.

This is the 3rd year for holistic review for engineering so come February, releases could be all one type of admission (Galveston or a engineering academy) as we saw for class 2022 or February releases could include all types of admissions decisions, Full, Galveston, engineering Academy, as we saw for class 2021.

December and January has been typically for full admission to College Station only.

The Early Decision date is arbitrary anyway. It is not uncommon for auto/academic admits who are waiting on engineering decisions and review admits to the university to be deferred to after Winter break, despite having applied by the ED deadline. Many auto/academic admits who applied after the ED deadline could get an engineering decision before an ED applicant. It is what it is.

Were all of today’s 6 tabs engineering and health?

won’t let us do NSC yet because AIS hasn’t updated yet.

@sdwims They look at both but will use what score best benefits the applicant. What they are looking for is the math and physics readiness of the student. They will look at what maths were available at your students school and which maths they chose to take, same with physics.
Engineering calculus is probably the one class, besides the old Physics 208 (incoming 2022 no longer has to take that class and I am not familiar with the new requirement) weeded the most students out. Weed out is real. Be it that the major dictates that engineering is not for them or the student realizes that the major is not for them.

@txmom23 It has been a long time since I had access to an AIS. I believe the only one’s that show a quarter are the one’s whose schools do not rank. If your school provides a rank, I believe it should say 280/1400. I don’t think it puts it in at 0.20%.

Still three tabs for our daughter, application submitted August 8, first quarter, 4.3 weighted GPA, review applicant from non-ranking private school. Majors requested were business and economics. Looks like we won’t hear anything this year. Boo hoo. What happens if you change your major? Does it bump you back to the beginning?

@Thelma2 Got it. Thanks for the information!

@KimmyJoe The movement we are seeing right now is for engineering applicants who applied early decision.
Mays is full, so if your student is admitted after the New Year, there is still room for a full admission and Economics or one of the pathways like Blinn Team or Gateway. Hang in there!