TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

My daughter is an auto admit that applied on July 2. We have six tabs as well. It will not let you login to the housing portal until you are accepted. It keeps logging me out when I try. So I guess we have to be patient through the weekend. Keeps logging me out when I try. So I guess we have to be patient through the weekend.

My son still only has 3 tabs as well. Auto Admit. Applied in July. He’s going for Engineering so not sure if there is a hold up because of that. Hopefully we’ll hear soon!

For my son:

When did you apply: 7/1
When did you get your UIN: 7/5
When did you receive your admission decision: not yet!
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto
Major/College of Choice: Engineering
Class Rank: 9/480
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1310 (Math 710)
ACT (with Sub Scores)

STEM academy, NHS, Capt of a varsity sport, 3.93 unweighted GPA, wants to be in the Corp of Cadets, will have completed 10 AP classes be end of the year.

Will be fun to see the acceptance in a few days
but sweating the Engineering acceptance!

@Aggiemomhelp, Well, I just found out her class only has 90 in it. Was confusing hers with my son’s junior class which is the largest. Not sure of her actual class rank because All Saints doesn’t do that. Her grades are good - It’s a really smart class! I believe her LORs are good. Both from teachers and one is an alumni. We will just have to be patient! Thank you!

When did you apply: 7/3
When did you get your UIN: 7/6
When did you receive your admission decision: not yet!
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: academic
Major/College of Choice: Mays
Class Rank: 112/528
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1370 (Math 720) (Reading 650)
ACT (with Sub Scores) 30 (English: 32, Math: 31, Reading: 31, Science: 26)

I applied very early and I am academic admission, but I only still have 3 tabs. I know they said that decisions for the first wave should come out mid-september, but my howdy portal hasn’t changed. I was wondering if anyone got their decision yet.

@Mojo1995 and other engineering majors, admissions decisions did not come out for y’all in mid September, when all other major Auto/Academic admits. They began the first part of Oct and were those that were National Hispanic Scholars and National Merit Commended, Semi Finalist etc. Then other decisions began rolling out Oct 31-Dec.
Every year the process has been slow and some auto/academics get deferred to Jan. Last year was due to hurricane Harvey. Year before, they just got overwhelmed with the first year of the process. Who knows what will happen this year.

@aggieclass23 Don’t worry too much about tabs showing up being an auto/academic admit. All Auto/Academics won’t get notified on the first release but it’s not long when the rest start rolling out. After the first release, most auto/academic applicants that apply after that date will get their admissions decision within a week (excluding weekends/Holidays).

@AggieCorpMom2023 Don’t sweat it. With his STEM classes and Math sub score, he’s likely to get in. Especially if he did well in Calculus and physics. Engineering Review is looking for their Calculus readiness.

@leigh1020: Your daughter sounds like an awesome young woman! Those are fantastic scores and an awesome gpa!
Her scores are well above the average TAMU student so I would think that she would thrive at TAMU. I hope that she receives a full admissions offer early in the process so that you don’t have to live through the agony of waiting until February.

It is too bad that TAMU uses the 25% rank for Academic Admissions even when a student has a very high gpa and test scores. It penalizes students who are at a truly competitive school and who are academically ready for the rigor of college classes. I can guarantee that there are Top 10% HS students without that gpa or test scores. Some of them may not be ready for the rigor of TAMU classes.

I am glad that there is an Academic Admit category at TAMU so that students in the Top 25% with good test scores don’t have to go through the agony of waiting as a Review Admissions candidate. But why can’t there be a test score threshold which benefits students like yours who have a fantastic score and gpa but aren’t in the Top 25%?

A HS student has control over their own grades and their test scores, they either put in the effort to achieve good grades or they don’t. They have no control over their class rank if they are in a school full of high achievers. If everyone puts in the effort, why penalize them if they aren’t in the Top 25%? I find it hard to swallow that your daughter has earned a 3.8 gpa and may be penalized for being in a class of high achievers. Her high test scores show that these are not inflated grades from an inferior school.

My younger daughter had an unweighted gpa of 3.5, weighted was in the high 4s and she was ranked in 53% at her public TX HS!! Her SAT 1250/ACT27 scores were at the average for both her HS and TAMU (and her SAT was 100 points above the average at next best HS in the district and 200 points above the average for our ISD). She received a Blinn-TEAM offer for Freshman 2017 and although she was initially disappointed, it has worked well for her. She is a happy Aggie! She has earned great grades and had a fantastic Freshman year and her Sophomore year is starting out well!

There are just so many students who want to be Aggies and there just isn’t enough room. But I hope that your daughter is a full admit! :slight_smile: Keep us posted.

@Thelma2 do you know when they typically notify auto admits for the School of Visualization? We are soooo anxious since it’s such an enrollment limited program???.

what are tabs?? I see people posting that they have 3 tabs and 6 tabs?

@futureaggie405 At your howdy portal, look at the tabs available at the top of the page. “Three tabs” will be Home, Applicant, and My Howdy. Not sure what the additional tabs are for those seeing “six”

When did you apply: 9/04 Submitted / App complete and in review on 9/11
When did you get your UIN: 9/07
When did you receive your admission decision: Not yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Mays
Class Rank: 80/224 (top 36%) GPA: 4.07 (does gpa even matter?)
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1200 590 R : 610 M (would it even matter if I retake or is 10/06 too late?)
ACT (with Sub Scores) N/A (should I take it or is 10/28 too late)
P.S : Extracurriculars should be added to the template of this!

@GollaAgMom admissions decisions are not released by major. The last 3 admissions cycles, the auto/academic admit admissions decisions began being released around 19-21 of September. Not all auto/academics get their decision that day, but they start coming out pretty regular after that.

@Thelma2 , in your earlier post, am i understanding correctly that auto/academic admits who are engineering majors don’t get their University admissions decisions until late October instead of mid September with the other majors?

@CamandCam @Mojo1995 Thank you for asking Camandcam, because you are right. I made a mistake. I have kept for the last three years and when I was looking up the release date for majors decisions for engineering, I totally ignored the column right next to it, that had the dates of admitted to university. So, to you two, and all other engineering majors who are auto/academic admits, you should receive your admissions to A&M at the same time as every other major, around Sept 19-21. Auto/academic admits received theirs over a 2-3 day period.

@futureaggie405 What is your second choice major? I ask because being a review applicant, and many applying to Mays do not realize this, is that Mays takes very few review admits and those they do, have very high credentials and for some reason, are not in the top 10% of their class or make academic admit. Mays also only takes 1000 freshmen and those spots are generally taken up by the auto/academic admits and the college is full in November. Auto/Academic admits who apply later in the process (Nov/Dec) are at risk of being given their second choice or asked to pick another open major.

@Thelma2 , thank you for the reply. I don’t think I could’ve stood the wait. ?

For my son

When did you apply: 8/14
When did you get your UIN: 8/16
When did you receive your admission decision: not yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto
Major/College of Choice: Engineering (1 - Aero, 2 - Mech)
Class Rank: 18/476
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1440 (760 Math, 680 Eng)
ACT (with Sub Scores) 28 (31 Math/Sci, 24 Eng/Reading)

@Thelma2 Based on previous years, when might he get a decision based on applying late August? Thank-you so much for all the info from you and the others! Been reading old TAMU threads, and it is enlightening, to say the least!
No Aggies in this family
yet

@Eggscapgoats
auto/academics that apply July 1 and close to mid Sept, will get their admission decision to the university around that mid Sept window. auto/academic admits who applies around those dates and onward, usually receive a decision to university within a week.

We have 6 tabs this morning woooooo hooooo - finally!!! I pray this is good news:) DD is an auto-admit - School of Visualization.

We have 6 tabs this morning too! Whoop! My son is also auto admit applied to Mays

I have the student life tab, but cannot log on to complete the housing application.