TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Happy New Year to everyone!

@nervoustamumommy:
This post is in response to @Thelma2 asking for updates in stats for her records when I posted my son’s acceptance, and it also may help answer some of your questions–at least I hope so! :slight_smile:

He was accepted EA as an OOS applicant before Christmas. His best ACT sub scores: English 27 Math 28 Reading 31 and Science 28. (Composite 28.5) Trinity, Baylor, and SMU super scored him with a 29 for their purposes and their scholarship offers reflect that score and they are even providing him the chance to take the test again to improve his offered monies. I know TAMU doesn’t super score, and I also know that my son’s scores seem lower than many others still waiting for an answer as I read the posts. In reference to your question about a success story with stellar everything else’s and not so great test scores (in the engineering world, mind you), I’d say my son is that applicant. He, of course, missed out on the top 10% admit because he won’t graduate from a school in TX and his HS (he attends a specialty center Governor’s Academy for Engineering Studies) doesn’t rank–although technically 3rd in his class when they ranked him for summer STEM camps. He missed the auto admit by a point or 2, so he went into review like so many others. TAMU placed him in the first quartile. Although strong, I would have to say that his test scores are not the most impressive part of his package as his other pieces are, and I’m thrilled to guess that they really are taking their time reviewing applicants holistically–to see each candidate for who they are instead of simply taking test scores from a few Saturday mornings. Those test scores do not provide the whole picture, so hang in there! Hoping she and everyone else finds out soon!

@goodperson200 they have ranked me as 1st Quarter

TAMU is a huge school so most students will definitely not know each other. Many in state students will know a handful of other students next fall. This is something I think you can cross off your list of concerns.

@learner234 My son was ranked in the second quartile (school doesn’t rank) and has 1500 SAT with 780 math and applied for EA Engineering. We can compare in January to see if the test scores make the difference.

When does the admissions office come back from winter break? Hello…My name is Liz and it has been 11 days since my last visit to the Howdy Portal. :wink: Happy New Year, all!!!

@libbyshims They are back in office tomorrow. In the past three cycles, it is typically the end of the second week of Jan before any release is made.

@kvl2200 We (my son) live in Central Pa. We visited Aggieland in November. He has also been accepted to Michigan, we’ll be making a trip there this month. He is looking OOS because, with exception of PSU, there are not many Aerospace Engineering options here in Pa.

@kvl2200 is he still looking at PSU? My son was accepted there for business. TAMU is his first choice but PSU, ASU and Oregon are his second, third and fourth choices.

Glad I came across this forum and be able to find others with similar hopes and frustrations :slight_smile: I’m posting for my son who’s been waiting. He’s all for Computer Science and has gotten into UTD, Tech and Iowa State with some scholarship funding but TAMU is his dream choice. He’s from a very competitive school and followed a very challenging class schedule in high school that impacted his GPA overall. He decided that ACT was his test and did not go for SAT.

When did you apply: 9/24
When did you get your UIN: 9/26
When did you receive your admission decision: Waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice 1 & 2: Engineering (Computer Science)
Class Rank: DNR. TAMU placed in 2nd quarter
ACT - 30 (E 32, M 30, R 32, S 25)

GPA: 3.79 W
AP: 13 AP classes incl. Computer Science, Calculus, Statistics,….
EC: 170 Volunteer hours, nationally and state ranked Archer, in a job since summer 2018, Tutor (1-12th grade), multiple clubs, good essay, LORs
AIS says deferred to January

Wondering what his chances are. Thanks for the feedback.

@Med4TAMU I’m confused. With his ranking and ACT - Isn’t he an academic admit?

Edited - Now I see they placed him second quarter. What was his unweighted GPA? I would be surprised if he did not get admission. Maybe not his first choice a major.

@BlueBayouAZ we were expecting admission and engineering review but haven’t heard on admission yet and AIS has been at Application is complete and in Review since end of September.

@bluebayouaz and @Med4TAMU Because he is assigned 2nd quarter ranking by TAMU, even with his good ACT score, he is review admit. Even so, I am still surprised he wasn’t part of the last wave of review admits. Hoping for the best this month.

Wow your son has almost the same stats as mine. Are you out of state? I’m also waiting to hear back and have been deferred to January review. My app has been in review since 9/28 @Med4TAMU

We are in-state.
Thanks @JaceyK

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp when you get a chance can you please comment. Would like to know what you think as well.

@Med4TAMU I wonder if our sons are at at the same high school. My son applied on 10/15 and has similar stats. We also got the wait until January email. My son has a 1500/780 math SAT (the charts convert this to a 33 ACT, but he didn’t take the ACT) and a slightly higher GPA but also in second quartile. We shall see. He got a generous scholarship offer at UT Dallas and won’t find out about his other schools until Jan/Feb/Mar - depending on school. His other out of state private EA school will notify by Feb 1.

@Med4TAMU Admission to College Station is a slimmer chance due to 2Q. 2Q applicants with test scores with good math scores and other math and physics readiness are offered Engineering at Galveston, which is considered full admissions to A&M (complete the core required in GV and transition to College Station for remainder of degree) or offered Blinn Engineering Academy. Engineering students in this program will apply for entry-to-a-major as early as the end of the first year, same as students in CS and GV, having completed the required courses. Students will take the engineering course at TAMU and their math and sciences at Rellis campus.

Oh the waiting. It has me delving into the stats again. @Thelma2 has probably posted this before - but I just now noticed it. It’s a breakdown of admissions by median and mean SAT and ACT scores. It also breaks down departments by the mean composite and sub scores.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Fall-2018-Norm-Book.aspx

This is fall 2018. So you can see the number of people that high higher and lower composite and sub scores in the school you/your child is applying to.

@BlueBayouAZ @Thelma2 On the SAT comparison document (last category) does College Transition Program translate to Blinn-Team or is that just a planning to transfer from Community College?

I think it’s really dumb that A&M doesn’t flat out tell you that you’re deferred when they make that decision and wait until December to tell you. I really wouldn’t want to be waiting this whole time not knowing what’s going on, only to find out that I’ve been deferred.

But good luck to all those waiting. Remember, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get in. I know it can hurt as I’ve already experience one rejection and one deferral, but just look forward to the exciting times of senior year and graduation because I will miss it, and I’m sure anyone would.