TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@BlueBayouAZ are those stats combining admissions to College Station and Galveston?

Thank you @Thelma2 ! Will keep our fingers crossed and wait to hear either way.

@AggieDreamin - I believe the College Transition Program is TEAM, Gateway

Transition Academic Programs (TAP) provides academic advising and administrative support for students transitioning between majors, as well as programming for students transitioning from high school to college. Campus-wide TAP programs include the Texas A&M-Blinn TEAM co-enrollment partnership with Blinn College (TEAM), the Aggie Gateway to Success provisional admission program (Gateway), and the General Studies transitional major.
http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/transition-academic-programs/

@WantabeAg - The University Total appears to be Galveston and College Station. But Galveston seems to be broken out like a school (Like Ag, engineering, education) too.

@BlueBayouAZ and @Thelma2 Thanks for the realistic comments on the full admission chance for us 2Q applicants. When I saw the deferred decision till January for Engineering applicants, that’s a hint that full admit was highly unlikely. My application was completed last September. It still sucks for a 95th percentile scorer on the 2018 College of Engineering SAT chart (1430 in first SAT; 750 M and 720 RW in 2nd). Will Blinn and Galveston admission be released in February? We also received a generous offer from UTD, but TAMU is our first choice if receive full admit.

@BlueBayouAZ Thank you. I searched for my son’s major in Galveston and it isn’t offered there so those numbers must be for the College Station campus. HIs first choice major is biochemistry (pre-professional medical program) which is under Ag and Life Science. We are still waiting for general admission so I love looking at all the numbers.

@Thelma2 how do I know which quarter I was ranked by tamu? My school doesn’t rank it
I see a tab “class rank (1Q) a check mark” does it mean I’m 1Q?

Y’all have been busy today! @Med4TAMU I agree with Thelma. While 2nd quarter hurts, his stats look good enough and at worst he’ll get one of the academies which are great freshman programs.

With them deferring, I think it’s more of a “let’s check out the rest of the competition”. It doesn’t necessarily mean an alternate decision. Crossing fingers for all. You engineering students are super smart so I wouldn’t be too concerned about where you start. Just keep pushing hard and do your best!

@Roscoe2024 Yes 1Q is 1st quarter. Congrats

Thank you!.. I’ll wait
Do you know the # of spot available for biomedical engineering?

@Roscoe2024 There are 52 spots
 just kidding. I have no idea. But I do know you don’t get to specify what type of engineering. You go in as general like everyone else. Then you apply for your specific major. There are quite a bit of post in the Engineering thread about this. Thelma2 is the best for this info.

@Med4TAMU If he is offered the Galveston option, keep checking back here. There is a poster from last year whose son is in the program and is going to share with everyone when the GV decisions come out, what a great experience it has been. I am part of an engineering Aggie Parent group and there are so many parents whose kids have loved the program.

@eTown23 Full admits to the uni for engineering are hardly over. There will be full admits in January. The majority of review admits are always deferred, because they have to make the other offers first to top 10 and academics admits. 2Q just makes it a little harder for full admissions because seats fill up in Cstat with 1Q. That is not to say that 2Q don’t get a seat. They can and do. It is just slimmer.
ENGR galveston is full admissions and I would accept it in a heartbeat if you want to be an Aggie. 2 semesters and you transition to College Station when you apply to major.

It is hard to pass up the money. My Aggie was National Merit Commended and other achievements and had very generous packages with no or almost no out of pocket costs elsewhere and chose A&M, who offered zilch.

Yes, Blinn engr academy and Galveston typically come out in February.

Thank you again @AggieMomhelp and @Thelma2 ! Really appreciate the feedback. I’ll keep an eye out for Galveston and will update back here on what happens when it does.

@AggieMomhelp I’m surprised to hear these numbers. Not surprised on the number of denials, but there would be so many with incomplete apps. Makes me so curious how many were just flat out denials such as your daughters friend. If there were a ton of denials due to incomplete apps, then it would seem almost everyone who did have a complete app would be offered some type of admission, which is not possible. Thinking there’s no way with that volume of denials that a huge percentage would be incomplete applications ?

@nervoustamumommy - I can only go on what we were told during an application workshop at a regional prospective student center regarding denials. They said that the (either vast or large) majority of denials are late or incomplete applications.

Others are due to not meeting the Texas Uniform Admissions Policy.

1. Official SAT/ACT Scores
    Your official SAT score must be at least 480 for EBRW and 530 for Math or your official ACT scores must be at least 18 English, 22 Reading, 22 Mathematics and 23 Science.
    http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/TexasUAP

And you still have people with legal/discipline issues.

They basically said if you are graduating from a Texas High School with a foundation+endorsement/distinguished level of achievement (which assures you have a math beyond Algebra II and 4 year science) - you will get some sort of offer, including PSA.

While PSA is a clear path to get into TAMU, it is a denial of sorts. Just look at the TAMU enrollment DARS. The PSA program is not included.
https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa18-incl-Galveston.aspx

As for @AggieMomhelp daughter’s friend - we don’t know everything about her application. If she did not take 4 years of science or a math beyond Algebra II - that could be the reason.

I think it is very telling if you look back at last year’s version of this thread. People report PSA offers not outright denials. That very much aligns with what the TAMU reps told me and my daughter.

@BlueBayouAZ that makes sense now that you break it down like that. From you’re experience, and what you’ve heard, have you ever heard of a student gaining full acceptance with those minimum scores that you mentioned?

@BlueBayouAZ also, are those minimum numbers you mentioned for students exempting the same for regular high school students?

@bluebayou and @nervoustamumommy I’m confused. What daughter’s friend and numbers are y’all referring to???

Those minimum numbers are set by the State of Texas - in an effort to clarify the Top 10% rule. It aims to make sure that students getting into Texas Universities under the Top 10 percent rule complete a certain amount of rigor that prepares them for college. You might be able to graduate from high school without advanced math or science but you are not guaranteed get automatic acceptance into state schools if you don’t.

http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=19&pt=1&ch=5&rl=5

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/8997.PDF?CFID=91201944&CFTOKEN=13561198

And @nervoustamumommy I don’t have any idea of students getting into TAMU with scores close to those - but those scores are a baseline for a denial. If you look at other TX schools with lower admission standards - some of their admission pages talk about holistic reviews for people who don’t reach the class rigor (endorsement/distinguished) or test score threshold.

And there is something called the Texas Success Initiative. All incoming college students must take a test if they are not exempt (ACT/SAT/STAAR/military service can earn you exemptions). But in general - I would think if a students scores are below the TSI exemptions or they did not complete a college prep curriculum - their likelihood of being denied admission to TAMU is possible.

Those scores are 23 ACT (19 math and english) SAT 530 math and 480 English. The STAAR exemption - - Successful completion of a College Preparatory Course (that means 4 years math and science) and Score of at least 4000 on the English III and/or Algebra II STAAR End-of-Course exams

More info
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/9055.PDF?CFID=75314517&CFTOKEN=13839274

Now I really have no idea how or if TAMU looks at the TSI. But my assumption is their standard of admission would be higher than the TSI numbers. It’s one of the more competitive schools to get into - you would have to think the folks they admit have more academic success than what the State of Texas deems the bare minimum for future academic success.

@BlueBayouAZ What are you and nervoustamu mom talking about when referring to a daughter of a friend of mine? I’m so confused.

@AggieMomhelp I recall someone posting weeks ago on this thread something like- “To be clear, not all denials are do to incomplete applications” - any they detailed that their daughter’s friend had been denied, and they couldn’t imagine that her application was incomplete. It was kinda in response one of my stats breakdowns where I said the majority of denials are incomplete/late applications.

When @nervoustamumommy tagged you - I figured it was you that had posted that weeks ago and went with it. The poster mentioned that they knew the kid took test preps trying to bring up their scores - but didn’t have any stats of the kids scores or rank that I can recall.