TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@Roscoe2024 Mays is the Business school st Texas A&M. Mays College of Budiness has 1000 Sears for freshman students. Historically, Those seats are filled before the application deadline by top 10 and academic admits and occasionally with a few review admits, such as this year, if A&M has a small release of decisions for review admits before Mays is full, like we saw this year in October.

Hello everyone, engineering applicant here.
Iā€™m an International student - So I donā€™t know what the updates mean, the howdy tabs (Iā€™ve seen people comment on this), I thought it would be helpful to ask on here :slight_smile:

When did you apply: 11/29/2018
When did you get your UIN: canā€™t recall exactly - one and a half days later?
When did you receive your admission decision: I donā€™t know whether I am admitted or not yet - But my status is ā€œMy app is complete and in reviewā€ (6 tabs on howdy though, Iā€™m not sure what this means because some of you were saying that 6 tabs = admitted)
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Academic
Major/College of Choice: Chemical Engineering
Class Rank: International School (S.Korea) - doesnā€™t report, no GPA either (assigned 1st quarter by A&M)
SAT (with Sub Scores) - 1380 (Math 700, English 680)
ACT (with Sub Scores) - didnā€™t take

Other Stats, EC:
I donā€™t think my essay is that great; Did not take SAT 2s, No AP courses, Full IB Diploma (Predicted 39 points/45: English A SL, Korean B HL, Psychology HL, Chemistry HL, Physics SL, Math SL), recommendation lettres from Chemistry and Math teacher, and counselor, leadership (varsity volleyball captain, soccer, orphanage English teacher, NHS, MUN (only for two years though), class representative during junior year, summer engineering internship)

I applied for regular decision, and even though I would have academic admit, Iā€™m scared that Iā€™ll get rejected for engineering since Iā€™m determined to go down that path. What do you think my chances are for engineering? :frowning: Iā€™m so anxious to find out the decision, as many of you probably are too! Sorry for such a lengthy comment

@Thelma2 Okay, but this year will be anyoneā€™s guess due to the addition of the McAllen location - I only say that because isnā€™t February usually when decisions for locations other than CSTAT are released?

@AggieMomhelp - Rigor is a factor, at least to a certain degree. You have to have a distinguished level of achievement high school diploma (or equivalent). You have to meet the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=2B172DB0-2701-11E8-BC500050560100A9

Now if they actually take the number of AP classes etc into consideration - that does not seem defined.

What does BIMS stand for?

@AMbound Biomedical Sciences

@AMbound Biomedical Science

My daughter has been accepted to the University of TN and the College of Engineering. Her 1st choice is TAMU. We live in Tennessee but I am from Houston.

When did you apply: 10/15/18
When did you get your UIN:10/18/1/
When did you receive your admission decision: waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Mechanical or Bio Medical Engineering
Class Rank:18 out of 140 @ a Highly ranked STEM school.
SAT 1310
ACT 25 (math 27)
GPA: uw 3.89 / w 4.25
AP classes: Human World Geography, Chemistry, Stats, Lang, Latin, Dual Enrollment : English 1010
Mentor to students, NHS, SGA, Science Olympiad, Band 1, Competitive dance 10yrs, Teaches dance to under priviledged kids

Honors Pre Calc as a Junior with an A, Currently taking Honors Physics, math SAT sub score 680. She has terrible test anxiety.

@JaceyK This year is a crap shoot,like every year. For class 2019 and class 2020, decisions were all over the place and all last decisions; full, Blinn Team, PSA all came out on the third Friday of February. Class 2021 was all over the place too, with all types of decisions with few in January and many of all decision types on various dates in Feb. In fact, some PSA decisions came out before Blinn Team and February full admissions.

Last year was the first I have seen, since applying class 2020, that the decision types were not mixed on a release date.

I know the wait is awful and it seems forever since kids applied beginning in July.

@ghle225 You have 6 tabs because you are an academic admit to the university but are still awaiting an engineering decision. When your engineering decision comes, your major will change to general engineering. If you show strong readiness in physics and calculus, you will be offered spot in engineering. You 700 math score is good.

@AggieMomhelp and @Thelma2, we are OOS and I see in my sonā€™s portal that he got the Maroon award already, but do you know when are the other scholarships declared? I ask because I read somewhere here in the CC that he has to get a $4000 for the OOS tuition waiver, which will help us immensely. So can you both please provide some information on this scholarships and tuition waiver?

would love to hear anyones thoughts on my daughters chances.

@AAA124555 Here is a page that can explain the tuition waiver much better than I can. https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Non-Resident-Tuition-Waiver
http://rules-saps.tamu.edu/PDFs/13.03.99.M0.03.pdf

"Unfortunately, the Maroon Award will be rescinded should your son be awarded an out of state tuition waiver
Duration
You may qualify for Maroon Merit for up to four years (8 semesters). You must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPR and meet annual credit hour completion requirements.

Note: If at any point you become eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver, all future payments of this scholarship will be permanently terminated". More about the Maroon Award https://scholarships.tamu.edu/FRESHMEN/University-Scholarships#1-ScholarshipsforOut-of-StateStudents

Another thing about the scholarships that can stack on each other to reach the 4000+ total, some donā€™t come out until after the May 1 deadline for an applicant to accept or decline their admissions decision.

This is where it gets tricky for parents/applicants because they must:

1. Decide to accept their admissions decision by May 1, even though they are short of the $4K amount and hope that the student is awarded more in qualifying scholarships after May 1 and through the summer to qualify for the Out of State Tuition Waiver or be prepared to pay out of state tuition rates.
  1. Decline their admissions offer by May 1 if the student has not reached the $4K to qualify for the tuition waiver if they are not prepared to pay out of state tuition rates.

Some of the scholarships I am aware of that stack and count towards the tuition waiver are:
Opportunity Award
Lechner Award
Presidental Endowed Scholarship
Century Scholars (notified in February)
Departmental Scholarships
as long as it is a merit based A&M scholarship, even if itā€™s from a department, it could be stacked to get to the $4000. Outside scholarships do NOT count towards the out of state tuition waiver. They have to be from the university itself, even the TAMU alumni / Aggie Momā€™s Clubs scholarships do not count.

The colleges and departments tend to award scholarships in a different time frame from Financial Aid. College of Engineering Scholarships information and contact is found here https://engineering.tamu.edu/admissions-and-aid/scholarships/coe-undergrad.html

Here is a thread from last year about OOS tuition waivers/scholarships http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1954294-tamu-merit-based-scholarships-for-out-of-state-freshman-p1.html and two more helpful ones from class 2021 http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1955980-class-of-2021-tamu-oos-scholarship-tuition-waivers-report-your-stats-help-others-p1.html

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1968144-possible-longer-wait-for-engineering-department-scholarships-p1.html

@Thelma2 and/or @AggieMomhelp please comment

What are my chances??

When did you apply: 10/23/18
When did you get your UIN: 10/25/18
When did you receive your admission decision: Still waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Psychology
Class Rank: Homeschooled but assigned 1st quarter
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1290 (Reading/Writing:670/Math:620)

I am first generation and will be graduating highschool with my associates degree due to 60 hours of dual credit taken my junior and senior years. I have tons of community service and work experience.

@DaughterEngineer Aside from her ACT score, she is competitive for sure. She should get into TAMU, but not sure where sheā€™ll fall for engineering. Itā€™s so hard since they deferred so many and I havenā€™t seen many stats come through for it. @thelma2 is better equipped for the engineering side of things. I know they want the students well experienced in calc and physics.

@BlueBayouAZ Of course they have to have distinguished standing and the standard classes. Iā€™m strictly speaking about rigorā€¦ the AP courses that a lot of parents get hung up on that their child needs when I donā€™t believe it really helps the typical student. Now of course there are many students that need the intensity and challenge and it is extremely beneficial to them. But in speaking with admissions, they told me on several occasions, they donā€™t compare a 4.0 student to another student and sayā€¦ ā€œwell johnny had 7 AP classes and suzy had none and they got the same GPA so letā€™s admit Johnny and not suzyā€. Itā€™s just not a factor in that type of situation. All Iā€™m saying.

With regards to AP classes, do dual credit classes hold the same leverage as AP classes? My son took ONE AP class and is taking 2 AP classes now, but has taken 6 dual credit classes (almost 20 hours).

@collegeanony I honestly have no idea how to chance you. 1290 is okay but not stellar for TAMU. With having top quarter status, that may work well with the score but not listing any ECs itā€™s hard to say how competitive you are. I think itā€™s great youā€™ve already knocked out 60 hours of college. Talk about a money saver! I just donā€™t know how A&M views that as an entering freshmanā€¦ @thelma2 do you or @blueba have any data points on this?

@jaceyk again, I just donā€™t know how much of a factor if any, they hold. The difference will come into play with degree plan and whether or not your son accepts the AP credit. Itā€™s not always in their best interest. DC will automatically go on transcript as a transfer grade (not factored into GPA at A&M).

@aggiemomhelp Okay - I guess I was referring to the ā€œwell johnny had 7 AP classes and suzy had none and they got the same GPA so letā€™s admit Johnny and not suzyā€ reference. So if Johnny had 7 AP classes and Suzy had 7 Dual Credit classes - which one has more leverage? :slight_smile:

@AggieMomhelp I have seen a post by the AO on texags say that they do take into consideration what a school offeres and what a student chooses to take. That in a nutshell- that A&M does look to see what resources are available at a said school and how a student chose to avail themselves of those resources. They want to see how that student has competed against those within their own environment and how they have utilized those tools and resources to the best of their ability.