TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@rockmom21 We must be neighbors. My son also attends a private Catholic HS in Orange County and has nearly the same stats as your daughter. Congratulations to her on her acceptance! We’re still waiting for his review decision. Are you an SM or MD family? Our kids my know one another.

My girlfriend has not been accepted yet and it doesn’t add up to me. Here’s her info:
She’s rank 111 in our class of almost 1000, right outside the top ten
Her SAT score is 1320

She is the President of the Art NHS, a great student with flawless attendance and lots of volunteer work etc. It just doesn’t make sense that she hasn’t been accepted. Her major is Biology, not even a selective college. Do you think she’ll be accepted?

Any waves ? this weekend?! ???

I posted about my stats few days ago – Applied to Chemical Engineering (Academic Admit, International student, Dec 1st regular deadline)

Yesterday, I got admitted to General Engineering at College Station. If you don’t have your acceptances yet, don’t worry, breathe easy. This thread has been so helpful! Thank you :slight_smile:

@sportingclaymom we are a MD family! My daughter had been heavily involved in band, what about your family?

@cpacestx , yes I thought so too!
Super disappointed that she didn’t get Viz… she applied Sept. 4.
I am calling the admissions office tomorrow about the major change request.
Thanks!

Does anyone have a link to TAMU yield numbers, and subset numbers for eng and OOS?

@cpacestx - that is very disappointing about Visualization. In August we were told (from the regional perspective student center) that visualization fills up sometime in late September/early November and to apply early. When we toured the department the professor in charge of the undergraduate visualization program (personal tour) last spring - he made it clear that the department really knows nothing about the admissions (not sure how true that is). That they say “we can accommodate XXX number of students” and admissions handles the rest.

@rockmom21 we are an SM family. D17 is in her 2nd year at NYU and S19 is still waiting to see all options for next year with TAMU being at the top of the list.

I have been MIA over the weekend. I just caught up, I think, on the thread. Lots of engineering acceptances. That’s exciting. @rockmom21 what major are you changing to?

And if anyone tagged me, I totally missed it, so if there’s a pending question, send up a flare.

Can you tell me what you mean by “tabs”?
Thanks!

@Lplink when your application is in review, you will see 3 tabs at the top of your Howdy portal: Home, My Howdy & Applicant. When accepted, one of the first changes on your Howdy portal is an additional 3 tabs: My Record, My Finances & Student Life. The addition of these 3 tabs is a telltale sign that your AIS will change (or already has) the message from “Complete and In Review” to “You’ve Been Admitted!”

Thank you for your help!!

@JaceyK I wish there was a way to insert a screen shot. :((

Would taking AP chemistry instead of physics 1 my junior year have an impact on my chances of admission to engineering? I am currently taking on ramps physics 1 as my school doesn’t offer AP physics 1. However if I took physics 1 last year, I would be able to take AP physics C this year. I’m just worried that since I didn’t take a lot of physics classes the reviewers would not think I’m ready. I have also taken AP calculus AB and AP calculus BC.

just my opinion, but 4 years of science with one of my them being AP plus ur math is awesome for TAMU. if u can get two APs w “A” grades w/out stressing out do it. otherwise it’s overkill. just my opinion.

Question on enrollment - so x number of students that fill up the classrooms at CSTAT are offered admission but not all of the x take up the offer for any reason leaving some seats vacant. This vacancy may not be known till May or June when the student commit deadline date is. What happens to these now vacant seats? Are they offered to those that were next in the line at the time or the classes go unfilled? Are students offered Blinn or GV pulled up? What happens?

I don’t believe so @med4TAMU. They have years of enrollment data - so I think they have a formula where they expect a certain percentage of admitted students to enroll. So they offer admissions based on that number.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa18-incl-Galveston.aspx

I called the Houston Prospective Student Center and the guy I talked to confirmed that the Visualization department is filled. He said it usually fills up in November, right after MAYS, because it is so small.

Has anyone received any news about financial aid?

They said they received my FAFSA but I haven’t been offered any aid yet according to my portal.