TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

So, my son is a review decision and applied for engineering early action meeting the 10/15 deadline. Under major, he listed two engineering majors (nuclear and electrical). If he doesn’t get into engineering could he get into a different college, like the college of sciences? To hedge his bets, should he change his secondary major to physics?

He has a 1500 on his SAT with 780 math and has taken a bunch of AP classes including Physics 1 and 2, Chemistry, and is currently taking BC Physics. His weighted GPA is 3.9 at a public magnet that doesn’t do class rank.

When did you apply: 10-15
When did you get your UIN: 10-17
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: not yet
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: review
Major/College of Choice: mechanical engineering
Did you get in: not yet
Honors program: no
Class Rank: 2nd quarter, 3.52 unweighted
SAT: 1280 (660 math)
ACT: 28 (27 math)

Is it normal for my review application to still be in review? It seems like many have heard from the university, and are waiting on the COE.
What are my chances? I’m not too optimistic.

Would like to add stats:
1400 SAT (720 math, 680 EBW), rank 58/820. Academic and Auto admit. Virtually no EC’s and average essay and summer job working retail.

Accepted into engineering today. During junior year: A in AP Physics and A in AP Precalculus. Stright A’s for entire junior year. Senior Year:. Currently taking AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP Government.

I agree with Thelma2 that Engineering is all about calculus and physics readiness. I don’t believe much emphasis is placed on the essays or EC’s. I also think an emphasis is being placed on the diversity of the applicants when selections are being made. There is a big push to increase females in Engineering.

There is a book by Harvard Review for the SAT with about 9 practice tests with explanations for the answers. My child did about 4 of these tests and increased the math score by 40 points and the EBW score by 50 points. I bring this up since I believe the Math score on the SAT/ACT is the most important criteria used when selecting applicants. I have a second child that improved the math score from 620 to 700 after doing 4 of the practice tests. This child will be applying next year.

I hope information this helps future applicants. I know this is not much help to the current applicants.

Received email this morning saying “accepted” into General Engineering ! So thankful ! Whoop !
AIS/Howdy portal updated confirming .

Praying for great news to be heard by all who we have been sweating this out together in this process! Many thanks to Thelma2 and AggieMomhelp for y’alls really great info and counsel !

Applied to Engineering July 16, 1400 SAT, 740 math 1st Quarter,

For my son:

When did you apply: 10-3
When did you get your UIN: 10-8
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: yesterday (yay)
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: review
Did you get in: yes
Class Rank: 1st quarter, 3.526uw, 4.83w
SAT: 1300 (twice!) (690 M, 610 E)
a LOT of AP classes, taking 6 this year. Have completed Eagle Scout requirements, waiting for BOR, varsity soccer, good essay, LOR.

Guys I would like to add to this as well
I got selected for the Engineering Review and it shows that my college is undecided but the location is College Station.
Please explain to me what this location tab on the admissions page means.

When did you apply: 9-20
When did you get your UIN: 9-22
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision:not yet
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: N/A
Did you get in: yes but only to the Engineering Review
Class Rank: 1st quarter, 3.47
SAT: 1370(710 M, 660 E)
I do not have AP classes because India’s intense academic schedule doesnt allow for AP classes or exams in between.

@in a frenzy I can’t tag you because your username has spaces. What it means is that you are accepted into Texas A&M University in College Station. A&M has other campuses where they offer engineering, such as Galveston, where applicants can be offered an admissions decision to complete their first year in Galveston because their was no space for them in College Station. Engineering at Galveston is considered being offered full admissions to A&M.

@Thelma2 Question: My son is accepted to College Station but still under Engineering Review. If his general acceptance lists College Station, is there still a possibility that he could be placed in the Galveston or McAllen Engineering campus?

@lifetraveler8
If you son is not offered full admissions to engr at College Station, he will be offered to chose between Blinn Engineering Academy (TEAB) or Engineering at Galveston (GV) or to chose any open major at College Station.

Only Top 10% and Academic Admits to the university are offered these option to chose if they are not offered a seat in engineering at College Station.

Review admits offered Galveston or an Engineering Academy decision are not given other choices. Caveat: Galveston (which by the way is a terrific program and there will be a person whose son went that direction, that will be posting about the experience when those decisions come out) is just a first year program and when the student applies to a major, the TRANSITION to College Station (not transfer) for the remainder of their degree. But I digress…There have been a handful of applicants that I know first hand about that were offered Engr at Galveston (considered full admissions to A&M) and were allowed to attend the provisional admissions of the Engineering Academy at Blinn instead, as they did not feel ready to hit the ground running in the calculus and physics classes that weed out a lot of students from the major. I do not have a current status on those kids and I am sure it is on a case by case basis to be allowed to alter your admissions decision.

@Thelma2 Thanks so much for your answer…your info on this forum has been a lifesaver! My son is an academic admit, so I’m hoping he gets offered either College Station Engineering or Blinn. Fingers crossed.

@Thelma2 what kind of an admit am I? Thanks for the information btw it has eased the anxiety a bit. I was not sure what kind of an admit I was so I said N/A

@in a frenzy
Being international, you could only be an Academic Admit or Reveiw Admit to the university.
Based on your SAT score of 1370 and meeting the minimum sub score requirement of 620 math and 660 erbw, you are an academic admit to the university.

All engineering applicants undergo holistic review for the major. That confuses folks in that review for the admission to the engineering major doesn’t always mean review for university admissions.

Early Action for an admission decision into the engineering major confuses some because it gets mixed up with EA/ED admissions that some universities have for university admission. TX public colleges and universities don’t have Early Action or Early Decision for admission to the university.

Early Action decisions for entry to the engineering major at A&M really help out the admissions office from being overwhelmed at the deadline because the holistic review process can be lengthy. Every year since inception, lots of Auto/Academics Admits who applied by Early Action deadline get deferred and most review applicants are always deferred. A&M must decide the offer to make to the Auto/Academuc admits first, then see how many spots they can offer to review applicants.

@Thelma2 I think I’ve missed the difference between academic and review admit. My son got a 1500 on his SAT (780 math, 720 verbal). Does that make him an academic admit? He is in state and not in the top 10% of his class.

@ultimom Yes, he would be an academic admit to the university, based on his SAT score with qualifying sub scores AND if he is ranked in the top quarter of his class. I was a passenger in a car earlier and typing on my phone and forgot to include that part. If your son had those same scores but was out of the top 25% when applied, he would not be an academic admit but a review admit.

Just for stats purposes- Got in to TAMU Engineering honors today. Received an email an hour ago. IS/AA

My son received an email yesterday stating he was accepted into TAMU engineering honors.

@bemart14 and @Embeechristmas did you apply for the engineering honors separately?

@AAA124555 yes. A separate essay etc

@Embeechristmas thanks how long was the process, I mean how long did they take to decide? We applied for the University one so not sure if we should do the engineering too?

Can anyone tell me a bit about eng honors, selectivity and advantages/disadvantages ? And Uni honors, do many eng kids bother with that? If so, why?