TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@ElainaT Getting housing is more about applying within 30 days of your admissions offer rather than the date you get your admissions offer. She should have no trouble getting into the engineering LLC. Room selection doesn’t happen until May.

@Thelma2 thank you for posting the housing information! Our college counselor at school told me this week that I need to be looking for private housing since we haven’t received a decision. I was about to get my anxiety meds increased! Whew…what a relief! :wink:

@Thelma2 I know you a get a lot of chance me’s, but do you think you can take a look at my stats?

When did you apply: 8/10/18
When did you get your UIN: 10/10/18
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: not yet
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: academic admit
Major/College of Choice: Mech E
Did you get in: still in review
Honors program: no
Class Rank: DNR - assigned first quarter
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 32 (31 math)

AP’s: AB Calc, Physics C, Gov, US Hist, Statistics, Chemistry
Strong upward trend in grades through HS

EC: Two years of sports, lots volunteering and had two different jobs throughout high school. Also very involved in school science fair (won it twice). Had 2 LOR as well.

TAMU is my #1, the waiting kills.

@zeWestside Thelma will chance you as well I’m sure. Thought I’d gjve my opinion. You have a strong chance at full admit in eng. If not, at least academy.

My daughter was admitted via review admit, initial major Visualization (it was full) on Jan 11.
Picked her second choice major which is Mech Eng, (which was her first choice at Cal Poly Pomona and SLO, University of utah, Embry Riddle Prescott… she got generous offers at ERAU and Utah, still waiting on SLO and Pomona) We are OOS.
Her stats are: 1340 SAT, 700 math.
She is taking AP Cal AP Physics, strong grades in both this semester, several Honors and 5 APs total, UWGPA 3.9.
She is strong in leadership, leading Drumline for the last two years, all four years in various band positions. First Quarter rank.
Community service, Physics award for 2018.
She’s in a class of about 550 at her high school; per naviance most students who have applied to A&M in the past have gotten in.
She is currently in review for Engineering.
If she is a “full admit” already to CS, would they just have her choose yet another major if Eng is full?
She will enroll in the Corps of Cadets and try out for the Aggie Band in Feb.
Will that give her a better chance of getting into Engineering?
Thanks!

Howdy! I am eagerly waiting for my admission decision, just like many.

When did you apply: 9/20
When did you get your UIN: 9/23
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: haven’t received yet
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Auto- admit
Major/College of Choice: Petroleum Eng.
Did you get in: not yet
Class Rank: 66/770
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1310 (690 math)
Extra-Curriculars:

• Mu Alpha Theta
  • Band
  • Tri M Music Honor Society
  • Science Honor Society
  • German Club
    Classes:
    Have received all A’s in all math and science classes. All of them have been honors.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank y’all!

@rockmom21 Yes, if she does not get Engineering or and academy, they will ask her to choose a different major. My son was admitted to SLO last year. I hated he had to turn it down, but just not enough scholarship money. My best friend’s daughter goes there (they are CA residents) and she loves it. Pics are amazing. As for a leg up wanting to be in the band and corps, I don’t think that helps admissions.

@saxophone001 I believe you have a solid chance at full admit to cstat. Very competitive stats just like @rockmom21. It may come down to how competitive the class in general is. Seems like both of you would have heard by now. But I have definite high hopes with what you both have accomplished.

thank you @AggieMomhelp ! Your advice is always so helpful :slight_smile:

Chance me, please ! (International)

When did you apply: 1/12/2018
When did you get your UIN: 4/12/2018
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: not yet
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: academic admit
Major/College of Choice: Computer Engineering
Did you get in: still in review
Class Rank: DNR - assigned first quarter
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1400 (740M,660 EBRW)

SAT MATH LEVEL 2 subject test : 780
SAT chemistry subject test : 780

EC: Governmental award for sustainable development innovation, Rated Chess Player, Student Council, Selected to attend NASA space camp, Volunteering service in school to teach IT skills for support staff.

How did you apply in January of 2018? @vka123

@AggieMomhelp, @vka123 is probably trying to say December, In a lot of countries like India where I come from we write the date first and then the month.

@AggieMomhelp December 2018! ( lol that’s how we write the date)

@vka123 A&M doesn’t consider subject test scores. I had 800s on Math2 and Physics but A&M did not list those on my file even though I had them sent.

I don’t know if @Thelma2 has mentioned this, but engineering likes to see high math scores, readiness in calculus, and readiness in physics.

@Le1Harsh check your “credit by examination” tab under the “my records” tab. I had a chemistry subject test listed there that is eligible for credit. I don’t know about physics but Math 2 won’t get you credit as I submitted a Math 2 and got nothing. I do remember seeing somewhere about a list of what subject tests are available for credit but I forgot where it is.

@Le1Harsh I called A&M a few days ago and they said that despite not being listed on the AIS, these scores are considered for engineering review. :slight_smile:

@vka123 Oh! That’s good news for us. Thanks for telling me.

@goodperson200 what about AP exams? I have a couple of 5s.

@Le1Harsh
Here are the AP credits you can claim for Engineering. https://engineering.tamu.edu/media/174459/ap.pdf

Here are all of the AP test and what you need to score to claim them for credit and the A&M class they satisfy. http://testing.tamu.edu/TestingServices/media/Media/PDFs/AP.pdf

Know that if you claim AP credit for any of the engineering core curriculum of Calculus I & 2 or the Chemistry of Physics, you will be required to take additional math and/or science courses at College Station campus.

For instance, if you scored a 4 on Calculus BC exam, you can claim AP credit for them but you will be required to take
251, 253, 304, 308; or CSCE 222 (Discrete Math) to satisfy the ETAM requirements.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/entry-to-a-major/general-engineering-program/index.html
General engineering students are required to complete at least the following courses at Texas A&M University with a minimum grade of C or higher:

Engineering: Two engineering courses from the following list – ENGR 102, ENGR 216

Science: Two science courses from the following list – PHYS 206, PHYS 207, PHYS 222, CHEM 107/117 or CHEM 101/111, CHEM 102/112.

Math: Two math courses from the following list – MATH 151, 152, 251, 253, 304, 308; CSCE 222 (Discrete Math)

You can send over all of your AP credits after admissions but Engineering doesn’t like for a student to go into their Howdy and claim them until after their advising appointment at NSC.

Also, the general engineering curriculum satisfies a lot of the University Core Curriculum that every student is required to satisfy, two classes which must also satisfy ICD, International Culture and Diversity. Sometimes a foreign language AP test will satisfy the Fine Art and ICD requirement, and many students will use AP or Dual Credit to satisfy the Government and US History Engr only requires English 104 so only one AP test (don’t recall if it is Lit and Comp or Lang and Comp) to satisfy it.

@Le1Harsh The scores will only appear once you send your official test scores there. SAT and AP scores are separate.