TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@zeWestside Whoop! Congrats. You’re going to love it here. Get involved, work hard and play. For those curious… ZeWestside is Engineering with high SAT and if I remember right, 1st quarter.

Found out this morning my son was accepted into Engineering!!! Thank you Thelma2 and AggieMomHelp for keeping us all sane during this process!!!

@lifetraveler8 That’s amazing! I knew he’d get in. Congrats and welcome to Aggieland. If you guys have any questions about the city itself, let me know. I’ve been here since 1989!

Son was accepted into engineering (computer science) yesterday!

When did you apply: 10/15
When did you receive your admission decision: Thanksgiving Break
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: academic
Major/College of Choice: Engineering/computer science
Class Rank: Non-ranking school, TAMU placed 1st quarter
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1420

@birdie0518 Thanksgiving break was yesterday???

@goodperson200 Birdie’s son was an academic admit and was admitted to the university over Thanksgiving break. He has been in review for engineering and was just admitted yesterday to general engineering.
All applicants to engineering undergo holistic review for the major. Even auto and academic admits.

@Thelma2 ah I see.

I have been looking for this piece of information for several days and have finally found it.

As of 2013, Texas A&M Engineering program had a 55% retention rate of student who entered the program as freshman and graduated with an engineering degree. 45% of students left the major. I have not looked up the data on graduation rates for that era on freshman retention graduation rates. It is likely that many continued on at A&M in other majors, and it is also likely that many were dismissed from the university after one semester one academic probation as well as after one semester, because no matter what GPA they earned the following semester, the GPA still could not be brought to 2.0.

There has not been any other published data to my knowledge on the retention rate of the program. But I know attrition is high. Every semester on 2 Aggie Parent groups to which I belong, one specifically engineering, Where there are no anonymous identities, leaving the program, being removed from the program, not being accepted into an engineering major but a technology major or not getting into any major and having to go through an advising conference for next steps.

Engineering is hard. Engineering Admissions knows of your readiness and tries to select applicants for their best chance of success. If you are not math and physics ready, the freshman courses will weed you out. Don’t scoff at an academy offer. It might just be what you need to be successful.

If you see posted stats that are too good to be true, they probably are. Admissions isn’t selecting applicants to set them up to fail, because so many high achieving, high stat applicants do. At a rate probably close to or not far away from what it was in 2013 if my 2020 son’s classes and fall out are any indication.

“We have a retention rate of 55 percent – 55 percent of students who come into freshman engineering graduate with an engineering degree,” Banks said of the engineering college. “That’s very low. Our goal is 75 percent by 2025.”

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-crafting-a-bigger-better-engineering-school/article_6bfdda0a-8da6-5172-80bf-77114ec7108e.html

Thank you for this @Thelma2 , really important to consider.

@Thelma2 this is very useful information and very important advise.

Repeating a post from another thread in case there are CC members who don’t read the other threads.

Here is a great tool for determining your cost of tuition and fees by major and term. All majors do not cost the same. If you are an engineering major, expect your tuition and fees to be higher than an Education or Business major. You can also compare the costs for a specific major based on if you select the variable tuition or the fixed tuition.

The fixed rate costs more than the variable. In our history of paying tuition at the variable option for the engineering major (just paid for 6th semester) the tuition and fees has been very consistent, if not exact same for 12 hours+.

https://tuition.tamu.edu/

Here is Billing Explanation https://sbs.tamu.edu/accounts-billing/tuition-fees/schedule/

My son got in engineering earlier this week! Thank you for the expert advice here. It made the waiting a bit easier :slight_smile:

When did you apply: 10/15/18
When did you get your UIN: 10/17
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: 1/23
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: academic admit
Major/College of Choice: Mech E
Did you get in: yes!
Honors program: haven’t applied yet, not sure
Class Rank: homeschooled, so assigned first quarter
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1370 (670 ebrw/700 math)

APs: Human Geography, World History, US History, US Govt., Biology, English Lang/Comp–all 3s on exams
This year: AP Calculus AB, AP English Lit/Comp, Honors Physics
GPA: unweighted 3.98

EC: senior/varsity swim team, community cello/strings ensemble

Volunteering: veterinarian clinic, performance/recruitment for ensemble, providing free string instruction in underserved area of TX

Do I have a chance for full admission, engineering academy at blinn bryan, or blinn team? I am trying to get into engineering at Texas A&M college station and am a review admit. I Applied by early action deadline for engineering and am curtrently in review. Also when do you guys think I’ll find out my decisio I’m hoping next week or first week of feb. Here are my stats:

Rank: Top 34% 221/633. 2nd quarter. My high school is so competitive and tough and one of the best.
SAT: 1310. 680 on math and 630 in reading.
GPA: 93.91/100. 3.75 weighted.
Review admit
Several AP classes and lots of pre-Ap classes
100+ volunteer hours. Did clubs in school such as Red Cross and ping pong. Extracurricular activities. Part time job in summer. Eagle Boy Scout with community service.

@sma1234

You asked this question 3 days ago on both threads. So, again.
Full admission, very little chance.
After that, it is impossible to say what decision you would be offered.
Blinn Engineering Academy, Engineering at Galveston or PSA.

The competitiveness of your school is not considered. They want to see how you competed against your peers.

GPA is not considered at all because schools can have varying grading profiles.

No one knows when admissions decisions will be released except that they should all be out by March. They come out when they show up. Engineering at Galveston, Blinn Engineering Academy, Blinn Team and Gateway usually come out in February. No one knows what dates in February any of those decision will be released.

From @AggieMomHelp, we have learned that there will one more release for engineering applicants for full admissions by Feb 3. My guess is that it is for the remaining auto and academic admits who have not received a major decision yet and a few are still waiting on university acceptance. Those are always processed first. Only then can they know how many spots are left open for review applicants in College Station before they move to offering seats in Galveston and the Engineering Academy. Could there be full admissions for review admits in that release? Yes, it is possible.

As an engineering applicant, you are not eligible for Blinn Team or Gateway and are only eligible for Engineering decisions.

Do you have back up schools you have applied to?

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp I’ve still not received a decision for engineering review. Does this mean that my chances of getting in are slim?

What are my chances for a full admit or engineering academy at Texas A&M?

When did you apply: 11/26/18
When did you get your UIN: 11/29/18
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Computer ENG/SCI
Class Rank: 160/759 (21%)
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1230 (590 R/W/640 math)

APs: World History, US History, English Comp, Computer Science AP
This year: AP Calculus BC, Physics 1 AP, US Govt., Macro, Euro Ap
GPA: 6.24/7

EC: Freshman year played football, joined computer science club

Volunteering: since the end of sophomore year I’ve been volunteering at my local mosque as a cameraman, I have 300+ hours.

@vka123 @mosid2001 Top 10% and Academic Admits are still waiting on a decision and they will be processed first. They have to be. A&M must place them in a major, whether they are offered engineering at College Station or another open major. THEN they will know how many spaces are open in College Station, if any, then they will start offering admissions to Galveston, Engineering Academies and PSA.

@AggieMomhelp has it from a reliable source that there will be one more wave of full admissions by February 3. This will likely include engineering applicants still waiting on a decision and possibly review applicants. Following that, we can look forward to all other admission decisions.

It is impossible to tell which review applicant will receive which offer of admissions.

A review applicant will only be offered full admissions, Galveston, an academy or PSA. A top 10% and Academic Admit can be offered full admissions or if they are not offered full admissions to college station engineering, they can be offered full admissions to any other major at College Station, Engineering at Galveston or Blinn Engineering Academy.

@Thelma2 Wow, I had no clue, they only looked at 10% and academic admits for Cstat, that sucks, also I shouldn’t expect anything until after Feb 3.? Let’s say I get into engineering academy, what are my chances or what do I need for
transferring to TAMU, I have already been accepted to UofH, so what would you say, stick to Eng academy (if I get in fingers crossed) or just go to UofH?

@mosid2001 depends on where you want to graduate from! I would advise my child to take academy if offered. It’s a direct route. Especially Blinn academy since it’s same town and can actually take Eng classes on Tamu campus. If academy, you aren’t transferring to tamu. You are an Aggie and follow the same path as cstat full admit freshman engineering students. Galveston is the same but you are 2 hours away from cstat.

@AggieMomhelp I want my degree from TAMU, but engineering comes first. I don’t want to stay in the Blinn co-enrollment, Will I get full admission into TAMU (like after a year) with the academy? or am I just misunderstanding, also could I just transfer from UohH com sci to TAMU com sci if it is possible,