TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@Thelma2 Ok, so it’s basically the same, but the academy has to wait till the second semester of freshman year compared to Galveston who can apply after the first semester is that correct?

Sounds like they’re not accepting anymore students into college station engineering, correct?

My son applied at the end of November and still hasn’t been given an update on AIS, is he likely to get an alternative campus as his only choices or is there still a chance for a cstat admittance

@hansenelliott007 cstat is full. I’m sorry. But academy may still be an option.

@thelma2 yeah the 2 people I spoke to had no clue. I found it on the site and even told them. Ugh. But yay for on campus housing.

@mosid2001 I am not familiar with the engineering academies that much but there is likely something we are missing. I watch several different forums for admissions info and the like and there is a question on TexAgs about Academy or Galveston.

The poster made a good point that I had not really considered and I am interested to see if the question is answered by admissions or someone perhaps someone on here who received such a decision could call and ask and report back. (Since I am not a student, nor have an incoming student, I doubt they would talk to me).

The point was regarding why should it be easier for academy students to get into a major after 1 year by taking the hard classes at a community college vs full admits taking the hard classes at A&M. It is a good point and makes me think that there may be more to an academy decision than meets the eye, that isn’t spelled out or we are over looking.

Thank you @Thelma2 for your patience and answers! Much appreciated.

I know my friends daughter was able to take physics at Blinn even though full admit to eng. may have been a one time thing. She’s a senior now. Another friend did academy and had 3.7 plus when he applied to his major. Obviously got first choice since over a 3.5. Not sure what we may be missing but academy may be better or easier to get that 3.5 for year 1.

@Thelma2 I tried to message you back but it won’t let me.

The Blinn-Bryan academy info says that a student can enter A&M full time after getting entry to a major by usin reverse articulation to finish the two year degree (I think they meant program). What exactly is reverse articulation?

my daughter and I are so torn on which is the better choice Galveston or Blinn…

When did you apply: 10/15
When did you get your UIN: later that week
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision: they received my sat and academic admitted me oct 31 then admitted to engineering nov 1
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: academic
Major/College of Choice: mechanical (but in general of course)
Did you get in: si
Honors program: gonna apply
Class Rank: 104/575 (think that’s around 18%)
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore): 1420 (750m 670 r/w)

@AggieMomhelp She most likely took physics 208 at Blinn and not college station because she fulfilled the 2 sciences at A&M of Physics 218 and Chemistry. They also changed the requirements since your friends daughter applied to A&M and Applied to her major, so that maths and sciences are still required at college Station for those that want to claim credits via AP or have to via Dual Credit.

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp I know this is kinda off topic, but I’m in a bind, If I stick to UofH, I will live with my parent, so no housing cost or additional food costs and I honestly don’t want to stay, but If I save $, I can’t really say no. Could ya’ll gimme a ballpark estimate for how much it will cost for the Blinn engineering academy on avg (so I suppose 10 at Blinn and 5 at Cstat or something like that), how much will that cost, just for tuition for one year, and then afterwards at Cstat how much will that cost. and do you think it is possible to have a job freshman year in the school of engineering or how about after freshman year? TLDR: with benefits and stuff, what do you except the avg. cost for Blinn eng. academy

@mosid2001 I can’t speak to the blinn costs but housing costs and meal plans are online, so pick which cost you are comfortable with on those. Once you are enrolled at A&M, tutition and fees for engineering major will cost you, in today’s dollars, 6600ish per semester for fixed rate tuition and 6300ish per semester for flexible rate tuition. That does not include dorm cost, meal plan or books/supplies. Off campus can be a little cheaper, depending on the place, father away from campus are usually better priced and find one on a bus route. Sports pass to see any athletic/sport event, is 325 per year. Was 290 3 years ago.

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp I’m not sure if this is a big difference but to have a chance of getting one’s major after the first year from Blinn, one needs to have a minimum 2.5 gpa to be eligible whereas from Galveston and college station the minimum gpa to be eligible is 2.0.

I emailed undergrad admissions yesterday and asked if all full admits for fall 2019 engineering had been filled.

This was the response
“Engineering applicants who met the early action deadline, should receive decisions by the end of this month. Decisions are made on a rolling basis and all other applicants will hear a decision between now and mid-March”

@angsmi - well I guess I’ll just HANG onto that with my fingernails…LOL!! Thx for sharing!

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp Do you guys think based off of @angsmi post, full admits for review applicants are still open?

Just for affirmation because the website states, “all docs by oct. 15” I read it so be nice.
Even if the app was received by Oct. 8th. If transcript and letters of recommendations were received/and or uploaded by oct. 22, this is NOT considered early admit, right?
So the waiting continues until mid March :frowning:

Should I be concerned that my D’s AIS has not updated at all and still says App has been received and still in review??? And the banner at top saying Engineering as been deferred until January. Does this mean she will probably not even receive a Blinn/Galv offer?

She applied on July 6! The waiting is killing us.

@sdwims Not sure where you are getting this. That may be bare minimums to even be eligible to change majors, but keep in mind you aren’t guaranteed Engineering majors. You have to apply to your major once you hit the requirements. A 2 or 2.5 is not gonna do that for you. I know you’re probably speaking generally, but just to be clear for those who may misunderstand. For any major, even if in Cstat or Galveston, to change your major you must meet that major’s requirements and apply to change. Even then, there are no guarantees.

@learner234 I believe there may be another wave for non engineering students, but not for engineering students. As for academies, those may be over or they are waiting to see what happens with those students who were offered this option.

@angsmi as @AggieMomhelp stated, there shouldn’t be another engineering student wave.