TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

I saw that Blinn was $21-22k per year with room and board (15 hours per semester). That’s a hefty price for a community college…but I guess you save about $6-7K vs TAMU.

After picking the Blinn-Bryan engineering academy option yesterday, I got accepted to it this morning!

@mattb01 Awesome, so now we know.

@jaceyk No way in heck is it that much. And TAMU for full time student, living on campus with minimum food plan (required for freshman), all fees all up all in, I paid $11500 first semester and $10750 this semester. And my son lives in White Creek which is one of the more expensive places. This is an all sports pass and great parking. So $22250 plus books (which have been around $300 max each semester). Factor in beer money, just kidding…

I just looked at Blinn Bryan… for 1 year (30 credits), it’s right at $10,000. That’s tuition and fees based on 15 credits each semester. My daughters on fixed plan was right about $6k per semester at tamu. So it’s cheaper but not a lot cheaper as I had thought. The figure on the site is extremely inflated for living expenses. It is not $1000 per month. And books/transportation, etc will not be $7k unless you are flying.

Went by the COA calculator - TAMU was estimated to be $27888 per year with 15 hours per semester. And then Blinn also shows COA for out of district (in state) to be $21k (forget exact amount). For my daughter’s semester, I believe her tuition and fees were around $5800. Then she has about $7500 set aside for apartment and other living stipends. She is staying through the summer too (she wants to “catch up” to her peers in courses so she will be doing summer school and working as many hours as possible). I told her to be as frugal as possible so that she has funds to carry on into next semester. We shall see.

@AggieMomhelp Oh yes that is how i understood it. I just wanted to show the difference in minimum gpas between blinn and the rest of the pathways and cstat. Thanks for clarifying.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg Yes, I think it is too premature to panic and we should get through Friday.

For class 2021, even though the application period was extended a month, we saw all decisions complete by January 24. There were a couple of dates for full admissions in January: the 6th and 20th. Gavleston and /Blinn Academy on Jan 20 and Galveson only on Jan 24.

@sdwims @AggieMomhelp The minimums to ETAM will not get you into an engineering major. It is likely that a student with these minimum stats will not be offered any of their choices unless one of their choices is one of the technology degrees vs an engineering degree. All ETAM students should seek advice from advisor when applying to make sure they apply to a major they are qualified for.

@DaughterEngineer I would call an admissions counselor and find out the specifics of each program in making the decision. Get all of the details and report back here what you find out about the specifics and differences. Galveston is considered full admit.

It’s just stating that GPA at blinn must be a 2.5 but the GPA at TAMU for the same student is a 2.0. Galveston and Cstat campus won’t have two GPAs but they have the same required 2.0 at TAMU as does the Blinn kiddo. But again, really hard to get your major with that low of a GPA… even to transfer to another major outside of engineering. Most require a 2.5 or higher to change majors. Just throwing that out there.

@jaceyk I feel they always inflate those soft numbers. I am going off what I have paid for both of my students at TAMU these past few years. I’m trying to say, don’t let it scare you. lol It’s not that bad.

A couple of questions…my son’s first choice of major is engineering. His second choice is construction science. He was assigned 2nd quarter by TAMU (that’s a whole different saga) and scored 1330 on his SAT. He has not heard anything from TAMU. My question is - if he doesn’t get offered anything from TAMU for engineering, is there a chance that he could get full admission for construction science? Or, if he is offered an alternative path for engineering, can he ask for full admission for construction science?

Using the tuition calculator and plugging in 4 hours at TAMU for an Engineeing degree (engr academy student), the tuition with fees on the variable rate would be $1966.26 per semester. https://tuition.tamu.edu/

For Spring, son only has 12 hours because he could not get into a needed class during open registration or add/drop. Tuition was $4339.52 plus fees for total of $6015.19.

When my friend’s son was in Blinn Team, tuition and fees were like $2200 (out of district) or something, so under 5Kish per semester. He took 4 hours at TAMU. One three hour class and a “spare tire” 1hr class so that if he had to drop the 3 hr class, he was technically still co enrolled and didn’t jeopardize the terms and conditions of Blinn Team.

So, if 12 hours in engineering is around 6015 with fees, and Blinn Team 4500-5000, you are saving 1000-1500 per semester.

@highhopes25 If he is offered Full Engineering at Galveston, he might be able to request full at College Station in an open major but he cannot request full admissions if he is only offered a pathway. If he is offered Engr Academy at Blinn and doesn’t want engineering any longer he can request Blinn Team. I noticed that Blinn Team does not have admissions agreements with A&M for construction science so he would be a transfer applicant, which many do. I read about this last night. I didn’t save the link. I’ll see if I can find it. Consideration is on a case by case basis.

Am I the only one that didn’t know that Admissions is actually the ones that accept/deny/offer pathways to Engineering? I thought it went to the Engineering department after they were accepted for decisions on Engineering. Literally had no idea Admissions made that decision as well. Huh… Learn something new every day.

That is news to me @AggieMomhelp - I really thought the holistic review was conducted by the engineering department. I assumed admissions had a role in evaluating the stat stuff like rank and test scores. But I figured someone in engineering looked at the “soft” stuff like essays and extra curricular activities. But if admissions is evaluating the engineering candidates fully - it makes sense why the bulk of other review admits comes after engineering. You can’t be doing everything at once.

I chatted with Steve. I’m not sure how trustworthy he is. He said Engineering doesn’t even see the candidates.

@AggieMomhelp A little different scenario and not related to Engineering but I was told the same thing for BIMS.

Yes, @aggiedreamin it’s like that for every major, including Bims. The only ones I thought that were looked at after acceptance into TAMU was Viz, Engineering and I think the Dance science program.

@AggieMomhelp @AggieDreamin @BlueBayouAZ I learned that last night in my reading up on stuff. I am sure the engineering department has set some type of criteria and then all those algorithms go into play 8-}

I just talked to the admissions counselor lady on the phone and they said all engineering decision should be out by the end of this week but didnt specify the day. What I dont know is if they are still offering full admission to college station or they ran out of room? I really hope I get blinn engineering academy at blinn-bryan if I don`t get full admssion. My chances are already slim as a review applicant and I just hope I get some sort of admittance to college station at this point. Thank god the wait is almost over!

@highhopes25 I was wondering the same thing. My son was offered Engr Academy at Blinn which we are very excited about but his second choice major was Architecture. Is he no longer under consideration for full admit with Architecture?

@Thelma2 wait, if you go academy and get a CGPA of 3.5 or higher, you still aren’t gonna get your engineering major at Cstat? If so, does Galveston have a higher chance to get full engineering admission by transfer if you keep a 3.5 or higher?

Referring back only briefly to the Blinn COA discussion, I have to guess the relatively higher than expected Blinn costs are due to paying out of district rates (in the case of most students).