TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@mosid2001 why are you asking that? A 3.5 at both places (Blinn and tamu) guarantees you first choice major. Whether you’re at Galveston, cstat or Blinn academy.

@aggiemomhelp At our 2 hour tour with the dude in charge of the undergraduate Visualization department- he specifically told us that Visualization does not see any of the applications and does not play a role in the admission process. All they do is tell admissions we can take X number of students. There is no portfolio review.

Oh wow @BlueBayouAZ I could have sworn I saw that somewhere. Maybe that was for change or major. Il’ll check tomorrow. Thanks!!!

@AggieMomhelp thank goodness, I was confused, because thelma had stated in post #505
that you won’t be able to get your ETAM choice if you meet minimum req. I assumed he meant 3.5, but I’m guessing he meant 2.0-2.5

@Thelma2 is Blinn/Bryan Engineering Academy not considered a full admit? or is it just co enrollment so you have all the same access as Cstat students? We were thinking about TEAB just so she would already be familiar with the campus and be able to participate in activities and events at Cstat. If she is at Galveston she wouldnt be able to participate as easily.

It’s coenrollment. Same access as all full time cstat students. Housing. Dining. Sports. Parking etc.

@AggieMomhelp @BlueBayouAZ Regarding Viz… One of my sons was an auto admit to Viz in Sept. He applied July 2nd and did not supply a portfolio (although he does have an art background). I think I remember reading a portfolio is required for transfers and change of major as @AggieMomhelp thought.

@mosid2001 You are correct in that I meant you won’t have a chance at your preferred major with the minimum GPA’s.

@DaughterEngineer The engineering academies are co enrollment as a pathway to being full time students. They are tracked as part time students until they matriculate over to A&M full time. Galveston is a branch campus, not a system school so admissions offers there are considered full admissions.

I would call an Admissions counselor and find out exactly the criteria for the Academy and how it differs from Galveston. a 3.5 at both institutions gets you into your top choice major but at any point, are they considered a transfer student vs a transition student if they don’t have the 3.5 at the end of the first year?
With a retention rate of 55-60% in the major, It isn’t going to be easy and I would put the consideration in the particulars of the major at each campus are.

Personally, If I wanted engineering, I would go to Galveston. If I just wanted to be on campus and have a social life, I’d ask to get out of TEAB and get into TEAM and shoot for a less competitive and weed out major.

Another thing to consider is that all majors in the engineering department are not engineering degrees and not all of them are accredited thought the various commissions within ABET. The majors are super competitive to get into. Where will she most likely be the most disciplined to get the job done that she needs to do? https://engineering.tamu.edu/about/reports-accreditation.html

@AgMomClassof03 You son was offered an admission decision based on his engineering review, which was his first choice major. He will not be received for any other type of admissions decision.

Regarding housing - My daughter selected the Academy. Before her status changed to accepted, she had the 6 tabs on Howdy and was able to sign up for housing. She was also allowed to apply to the learning community.

I’m so confused…my son applied 10/30 and was assigned Q1 with an ACT of 32 meeting subscore requirements for academic admit. We are still waiting for a decision. The engineering department head we spoke to said we were fine even past the priority engineering deadline. I am hoping there are more admits per the banner saying those that applied after the 10/15 deadline have been deferred.

@Thelma2 she definitely wants engineering. Her 1st choice is Mechanical. She has talked about being an engineer since 6th grade. She has been accepted into mechanical engineering at University of Tennessee. First year they get a look into to all engineering areas before they officially declare their major. She is not your average teenager. She is focused on her goals. The only thing I feel for sure she would like to do is go to the football games. I just thought if she was somewhat familar with Cstat by being at Blinn it might make sophmore year a little easier.

If she does not score a 22 on the MPE and has to take I believe Math 150 if at Galveston and Math 2412 if at Blinn. My understanding is that will extend her time before she can transition to Cstat by a semester. Will that also decrease her chances of getting her major of choice even if she has a 3.5?

Thank you for all your help @Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp ! It is greatly appreciated!

@Txkellygirl I wish they would change that stupid “early decision” verbiage on the website. It is a joke, in my opinion. It’s a suggestion based on past actions, as they never adhere to it.
It doesn’t say on there that 99.9% of review applicants will be deferred, regardless of when they apply but that is what happens.
In the past three cycles of its existence, they have always had to defer auto and academic admits who applied by the Oct 15 deadline.
They have notoriously admitted auto/academic admits before December who applied after October 15.
This last release of decisions was with choices of Galveston or an academy. We have several people reporting that admissions says there are still decisions to come out so I reckon there are. What they are is what is to be seen.
This last decision release is new in that we have not seen this in the last 2 admission cycles for so many to be offered choices that were not auto/academic admits. It is not uncommon for auto/acadmic admits who are not as strong in their Calculus and Physics readiness to be offered these choices instead of full admission to College Station.

Hang in there.

@EngineerDaugher Yes, it can delay her entry to her major by a semester if she does not pass the MPE with a 22. However, On top of that, at NSC, they will tell you the odds of you passing physics based on your MPE score, at least they used to.

In looking back on her scores, she has a 680 in math. That isn’t considered strong by engineering calculus standards. Calculus, physics and even Chemistry are not easy to get that required C for many. They also changed up the MPE A LOT from the practice exams last year by the time students attended NSC. She may want to start in the Math 150 and get confident and work her way to Math 151. If she can’t hit the ground running in engineering calculus, it will eat her alive, and quickly. Is she taking Calculus BC right now or AB?

Thought I would share for all of the anxious & curious parents… Monday my son got offered to choose from 3 Engineering Pathways. He chose Academy and heard back yesterday evening that he was accepted. He applied first of Oct. His school doesn’t rank but A&M put him in Q1 (3.7 unweighted GPA). 27 ACT. NHS, Leadership in sports, summer jobs, a lot of community service hours. A few of his friends last year weren’t offered pathway until March. Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone!!!

She was supposed to be taking Calculus through Dual Enrollment this semester but the CC did not have it available this semester as planned :(. Thats what worries me even though she is a very hard worker I feel this is putting her behind and at a disadvantage. She has taken Honors Geometry, Honors Algebra2, AP Stats, Honors Pre Calc, Honors Chem I, AP Chem, Honors Chem 2, Honors Physics and alot of other science classes as electives. Making all A’'s.

She is a terrible test taker. Her classroom grades and her GPA and Rank are way above her friends which she tutors them in math and science classes but then their test scores are higher than hers. I feel her test scores are not an accurate measure of her abilities but I also realize she will be behind due to the Calculus. :frowning:

@DaughterEngineer probably not ideal but what if she took it as a summer course through the CC? That could better prepare her for the MPE perhaps? My daughter took Calc 2 over the summer (along with Chem2) - was hard but she managed while working 30 hours/week.

@DaughterEngineer while it may extend, if she gets that 3.5 when she’s ready to apply to a major, she should still get her first choice of ME. I don’t believe it will decrease her chances.

The MPE is not calculus based, not at all. That’s one reason why, according to @Thelma2, about half of CS and GV engineering freshmen do poorly on it. They had trigonometry and functions so many years ago and they are quite rusty. @DaughterEngineer, no problem.

@DaughterEngineer Here is what happens when students do not pass the MPE. Because of required co- or pre-requisites, they are barred from taking Math 151 their first semester, which means they also cannot sign up for the first of the ETAM Engineering courses, ENGR 102. There are no exceptions. They really mean it. Instead, the students are put into Math 150 and ENGR 289, which is a zero-credit “success” class that is mostly attendance based but with one project for my son last fall in Galveston

My son had a 4 on the Calculus AP test and even took multivariable calculus his senior year. Didn’t matter. He took Math 150 last fall, got an A, then took AP credit for Math 151 (Calculus I), and is taking Math 152 (Calculus 2) this semester. He is just now starting ENGR 102 this semester. Until the students take both ENGR 102 and its follow-on (forgot the number), they cannot apply for ETAM. Therefore, my son will apply for ETAM his third semester. Yes, he was just really upset about the MPE, but he was warned, for sure. Honestly, the test is not that difficult if the student prepares BY WORKING ALL THE PROBLEMS on the practice tests. My son got the message after he failed the MPE during his first attempt at the new student conference last summer, and had the practice test down cold when he retook the MPE Howdy Week. The test was greatly changed, and he ended up short again. SAT math score: 680. A solid enough score that he could have studied for and passed the MPE. Yes, a lot of students do not pass for the simple reason that they didn’t prepare. Please, please, get past this test.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg My fear is if she practices the test and passes it that she will not be ready for Math151 @Thelma2 has said many times how hard this class is even for those with high test scores.

So Stressful…