TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

Are my chances good? Applied early october and my transcripts and such arrived oct 15th right on time. SAT 1370 Math 730 and English 640, English was 20 short for auto admit. My GPA is 3.85 and 4.43 WGPA. I know it seems good but I am incredibly nervous, especially given the number of applicants. Also very nervous as my dad told me not to check the alternative campuses on my app, as apparently they “werent the same” (Right.), a bit mad at him for that. Thanks

@MomHopesNxtGenAg
Class 2021, all decisions were out for engineering by January 24.
Engineering full admissions came out Jan 6 and between Jan 17-20. Several report dates but it is not known for those on the 20th is that was the first day the decision appeared or when they saw it.

Blinn Academy January 20th. Galveston January 20th and 24th.
No PSA reports for engineering but we also didn’t have a ton of review applicants and the majority were Galveston or Blinn Academy.

PSA was Feb 3 and Feb 14 for all

Class 2022 we had a small number of full admits on Jan 20 and Jan 30. Majority Academic/Auto admits. We had a small number this year around the 19th or 21st and I was waiting for one around the 30th and it didn’t come.
So, in my mind’s eye, we are still due one for full admits.

Last year, the only auto/academics who were offered Blinn Team were not great test scores for the Autos and the academic admits were right at the minimum at 1360/1370.

Blinn Academy was Feb 8 & 12 and Galveston was Feb 12 & 13. McAllen Academy ws Feb 12.

PSA was March 8 for all

Should mention: currently In AP physics C, BC Calc, Ap lit, ap econ

Took AP World history, ap lang, ap NSL, honors math the whole way up, math honors society 10th and 11th (Group did next to nothing, so i did not attemd this year), Science national honors society 11th and 12th, and national honors society

OK, thank you, @Thelma2. It sure sounds as though there will be more full admits to engineering. Auto admits with good scores sure seem to be on track for CStat engineering admission hopefully soon. Academic admits above equivalent SAT of 1360-1370 (which is roughly ACT of 29) would be expected to be offered either full or TEAB admission–higher scores among academic admits, etc., receiving full admission.

@dddddddddddd It doesn’t matter if you checked those boxes or not. They are survey questions.

@Thelma2 Id hope, good to know

@MomHopesNxtGenAg That’s my feeling given that auto/academic with really good scores are still waiting.
To date, we have not seen high scoring auto/academic admits be offered Galveston/TEAB. Then again, we have never seem review admits being offered choices of Galveston or one of the academies. It has been one or another but never a choice. Choices only went to auto/Academic admits not admitted to College Station engineering and they could also choose any open major at College Station.

The auto admits that were offered Blinn Team or any open major at Cstat had below 1300.
The academic Admits had 1360-1370 offed TEAB

@dddddddddddd That issue comes up every year. You’re good.

And as for my chances what do you think?

@dddddddddddd What is your class rank

School doeant do that, but percentiles are as follows:
Weighted: Unweighted
4.51+ 11% na
4.01-4.5 21% na
3.51-4.0 22% 30%
3.01-3.5 17% 30%
2.51-3.0 19% 22%
2.01-2.5 6% 14%
1.51-2.0 3% 4%
1.01-1.5 1% 1%
<1.0 0% 0%

A bit of a higher average school which doesnt ease me lol

@dddddddddddd A&M assigned you a rank. Are you st quarter or 2nd quarter?
Are you in state, out of state or international?

@Thelma2 1st quarter

Edit: out of state (Maryland)

Understand that chancing someone is one’s best guess. Based on what review applicants with your rank, scores, and classes taken, Engineering at Galveston would be a likely offer. Blinn could be a possibility.

Who knows what this year will bring. It has already thrown out a curve with review applicants being offered choices, which hasn’t happened before. And that there are still high stats auto and academic admits still waiting on decisions by this time is also unusual. They must have had just an abundance of applications this year.

What are the differences between the colleges?

@dddddddddddd
One thing about an engineering major is that it is A LOT of work. Read the last 25 pages of this thread as well as these links.
https://engineering.tamu.edu/admissions-and-aid/engineering-at-galveston/index.html

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/academies/blinn-bryan/index.html

http://www.blinn.edu/engineering-academy-bryan/index.html

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2062343-engineering-academies.html#latest

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2123914-class-of-2023-tamu-engineering-at-galveston.html#latest

Then come back and ask your questions

Ok so I am still holding out hope for my son with full admit given his Q1 rank and 32 ACT with no sub-score below 30. Fingers and toes crossed and starting to cramp lol.

OK, starting to loose my mind, lol! One day I’m fine…whatever happens, happens…the next day I want to puke and I’m so angry at my alma mater! Just need to vent a little…I understand that the options are all still out there (or so we think) but I really feel like they are putting the academic/auto admit students at a disadvantage here. My son has only applied to one school…Texas A&M and will become an Aggie either way but I’m frustrated because they are in a holding pattern…unable to sign up for an NSC until they know for sure.

Can anyone tell me how that works if they have to change to an open major and end up getting a much later NSC…will there even be any decent class openings? I know from personal experience that freshman usually don’t have the best schedule anyways but this seems to make it even worse.
Trying to be patient but some days are worse than others! And I really wish admissions would STOP giving false hope about when they are going to make offers…another week come and gone…ugh!

(I originally wrote this on the main admissions thread, but it’s probably worth expanding here.)
I looked up US News 2019 engineering rankings last night. Among traditional doctorate-granting schools (not the specialty engineering schools), Georgia Tech, perennially strong among public schools, is #4. Purdue, Cornell, and UT are all tied at #9. This represents a step up for UT, and a wake up call for historically stronger Purdue and Cornell. TAMU is currently tied with another group at #14. This represents a minor step down for TAMU numerically, but I haven’t yet compared directly to see which schools moved up, etc. I believe TAMU engineering was ranked just below UT in last year’s US News rankings. TAMU has several individual engineering departments in the top 10 nationally. See https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering for some individual department breakout rankings.

For my part, I have one son at UT (in computational biology) and my younger son at TAMU. Although I want both schools’ engineering departments–and all schools–to be strong, to me it’s like critics’ choice vs. students’ choice. I know that UT pulls in a stronger group of students academically, but I just don’t see the same kind of love for UT from its students, never have. There must be some reason for this. This is my 2 cents, and I have degrees from other schools besides TAMU, so I’m not completely partisan.

I am a lobbyist who works at the state capitol. There is noting like walking in to a members office and introducing myself to new staff and seeing that Aggie ring on their finger. It immediately breaks the ice. most of these staffers are young and only a few years out of college. Instant connection. tu doesn’t have that. so tu engineering is ranked 9 and A&M 14. Its the network that makes the difference, not some ranking system. The common bond, is the ring and the willingness for Aggies to help Aggies.This is born of a culture over 100 years in the making. Gig’em