TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@Learner12388
In the past, Galveston went to higher stat review admits then Blinn Academy. However, we have never seen options of all three be offered to review admits so it would seem that they have changed up the program a bit that they are now all equal admissions.

Haven’t seen Blinn Academy Only or Galveston Only decisions yet, so there is no way to say.

Here is the link for the Academies information
Mr @trinley is experienced with how the academies work so please read the thread and feel free to ask questions
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2062343-engineering-academies.html#latest

@ThreesACharm hi from Katy! We are zoned to Seven Lakes so I feel your pain on the rankings! Congrats to your child.

@ThreesACharm My daughter will be doing the Academy as well. She is a dancer at Cedar Park. I know your director was such great friends with ours before our director passed. Small world!

My son was offered the 3 choices but still only has 3 tabs. He accepted the TEAB option and it says that is in review. Do we have to wait for that to get approved before we have 6 tabs? I am waiting to apply for housing and see if he will get any aid etc…plus I would kind of like to see a list of next steps somewhere. Any suggestions or feedback?

@Txkellygirl we are in the same boat. I read somewhere that it takes 24-48 hours for that “You are being considered for the Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan.” to disappear and then maybe we’ll have the 6 tabs and some idea of what to do next :slight_smile:

As soon as you get the 6 tabs, apply for housing and NSC. Housing will require nonrefundable deposit of $75(unless it’s gone up since last year). This will guarantee he has priority housing and has a decent shot to get something he may want (or at least can live with). Sign up for NSC, but don’t worry about it being the earliest one or latest one. Classes roll out all summer to accommodate those with later dates. It all works out and your child will get a decent schedule. We have not had any issues at all with this.

Aside from those 2 things, just follow the little checklist on AIS. It’ll tell you what to do! Congrats you guys.

1 Like

We got the six times yesterday but still not able to sign up for housing or NSC. The AIS page still saying considered for Blinn Brian So no next step yet to sign up for those.

@KW2000 That’s interesting. Just keep checking for housing.

@DaughterEngineer and anyone else whose student will be a first generation college student and in engineering
https://engineering.tamu.edu/student-life/fgen/index.html

@thuc12345

Posted a few pages back the entire information for the Engineering Alternative Admissions Decisions

Here is the thread for Engineering at Galveston http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2123914-class-of-2023-tamu-engineering-at-galveston.html#latest

Here is the Texas A&M Web Page for Engineering at Galveston Be sure to explore all of the links for complete information https://engineering.tamu.edu/admissions-and-aid/engineering-at-galveston/index.html

Here is the Web Page for the Engineering Academy at Blinn Bryan. Be sure to explore all of the links for complete information http://www.blinn.edu/engineering-academy-bryan/index.html

Here is a thread on the engineering academies in addition to the info found on the engineering admissions thread http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2062343-engineering-academies-p1.html

Here is the A&M Web Page for the Engineering Academy at Blinn/Bryan. Be sure to explore all of the links for complete information https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/academies/blinn-bryan/index.html

The link I had for the Engineering Academy at McAllen is no longer working. It is the same premise as Blinn/Bryan and you will Apply To A Major the same as you would if at Galveston, Blinn Bryan or College Station. Here are a few links

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/entry-to-a-major/engineering-academy-program-etm/index.html
https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/entry-to-a-major/engineering-academy-program-etm/index.html

The Engineering Academy at Blinn Bryan is an admission decision offered by A&M. You do not get to apply to it directly. The Engineering Academy at McAllen is an admission decision offered by A&M as well as you can apply to it directly.
The Engineering Academy at Blinn Bremham is NOT an admission decision offered by A&M and must be applied to directly.

I will also add this:

Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan (TEAB) provides students an opportunity to pursue their engineering degree in a co-enrollment program between Texas A&M University and Blinn College-Bryan Campus. 855 students were chosen to participate in TEAB.

Engineering at Galveston (EAG) allows students to begin their engineering studies on the Texas A&M Galveston campus and to complete their engineering degree in College Station as part of the College of Engineering. This year approximately 1200 students were given an opportunity to be a part of EAG.

Engineering at McAllen offers uniquely designed degree options specially tailored to meet the expected engineering needs in the Rio Grande Valley. Student who begin their engineering career through this program are eligible to complete an engineering degree in College Station as part of the College of Engineering. 580 students were given the option to select Engineering at McAllen.

@Txkellygirl
This will explain the process and what you will need to do to be co enrolled
http://www.blinn.edu/engineering-academy-bryan/enrollment-guidelines.html

This post is for all the students that in the next month will be offered the “soft denial” or PSA to TAMU college station. There have been many articles written about the IMPERFECT TOP 10% RULE…and my point of this post is to not be fooled by the “60%” admissions rate to TAMU…
I have on hand numbers from a few years ago when TAMU received 35,667 applications (you may have seen the pie chart online)…Just a little fun fact…Class of 2022 received 41,757 applications…So although my numbers are a bit outdated…it will suffice to look at the acceptance rate for top 10%, academic admit/ SAT 1360 or the dreaded “Review Admit” pool.

Over half of the freshman class accepted will be the golden TOP 10% rule…That’s 10,830 That’s about HALF of the freshman class
Next you have 3446 that make the 1360 SAT cut off for the Academic admits (Impressive!!!)
(Side note freshman average SAT at college station is around 1200)
ACCEPTANCE rate for Top 10% plus Academic Admit is around 40%
10,830 + 3446/ 35,667= 40% acceptance rate

You finally add the Review admits at 2,800 students…These kids are really on an uphill climb
2,800/ 35,667 total applicants…Their acceptance rate is around 7% SEVEN PERCENT…let that sink in

Last year TAMU offered
Gateway to 450
BLINN 1200
Mc Allen 320
TEAB 600
Galveston 1200
and lastly PSA 11,500

Let’s quickly look at TEAB…the engineering pathway at Bryan/ College Station
I have been reading on college confidential…and have no reason to believe that anyone on here is lying about their stats…
But here is a few examples:

Student 1
Auto Admit top 10%
SAT 1170
Full admission to Engineering College Station

Student 2
Auto Admit top 8%
SAT 1250
Full admission to Engineering College Station

Student 3
Academic Admit
SAT 1410
Offered TEAB or engineering at Blinn/ Bryan

Student 4
Review Admit Top 25% (1Q)
SAT 1310
Offered TEAB

Student 5
Review Admit
GPA 3.9
SAT 1260
Offered Engineering at Galveston

Student 6 (impressive!!!)
Review Admit Top 23%
GPA 4.2
SAT 1420 (missed acadmic admit by 10 points/ Math 780/ English 640)
Offered TEAB

It seems to me that some of the TAMU Gateway type offers for engineering/ TEAB and Galveston
are being offered to awesome students with higher GPAs and test scores SIMPLY BECAUSE they missed the TOP 10% rule or SAT/ Academic cut off

The bottom line is that TAMU applications will continue to rise…in a short period of time they have gone from 35,667 to almost 42,000 applications…

I wouldn’t be surprised if TAMU follows suit and goes with UT and starts limiting Top 10% to Top 6-7%…???

Years ago Princeton did a hard look at UT and top 10% rule and they found
“WITHOUT CHANGE, ONLY THE TOP 10% NEED APPLY”…
“Without modification, the Top 10% students will overwhelm the freshman class. In addition, a student’s record of leadership, awards, community service, extracurricular activities - those experiences that make a well rounded individual- are RAPIDLY becoming IRRELEVANT to the admissions process. Increasingly, high school seniors who wish to attend UT (you could insert TAMU CS) are discovering that the only criterion, HIGH SCHOOL CLASS RANK, will play a significant role in the admissions process”

Lastly, for the those AWESOME KIDS that didn’t make Top 10% Auto Admit…Remember you maybe at a very competitive school…perfect grades and still you may only be top Quarter…Don’t discount your achievement
This Top 10% rule doesn’t define you as a student
My husband, Aggie class of 1990…I believe had a 3.0 at St. Mark’s in Dallas…a tough competitive school environment…He was categorically the “dumb one” of his group with classmates attending Yale, Harvard and Stanford…He finished TAMU with a history and Spanish major…ended up going on to Medical School at Texas Tech and finished his Anesthesia residency at University of Michigan…He is currently the Chief Anesthesiologist at our local hospital…He is one SMART GUY and very successful!
In today’s world…HE WOULDN’T EVEN BE ACCEPTED TO TAMU CS…
Side note: His Dad was in the Corps and graduated in 58’

For those kids that are not great standardized test takers…Couldn’t make a 1360 combined score to be an academic admit…Who cares…the SAT/ ACT doesn’t define you in anyway…Back in the 1980’s I barely made an 1100
I finished my nursing degree at St. Mary’s College in Notre Dame, IN and went on to complete my Master’s degree at U of D in Detroit…I am a CRNA…nurse anesthetist and that’s a super competitive field

For the REVIEW applicants that are offered PSA…or a Gateway program…You maybe the brightest and the best TEXAS has to offer…the IMPERFECT TOP 10% rule, SAT Academic Cut off 1360/ Math 620 + RW 660 or the fact that you’re in a NON RANKING SCHOOL or highly competitive high school senior class…? Has placed you in a TOUGH TOUGH admissions category…remember historically only 2,800/ 17000+ review applicants are accepted…that’s 16%…or 2,800/ 35,667 (total applications)…there’s only 7% of you that were even offered admissions to the CS campus! You may have had better luck applying to an Ivy League school?

As for my son…although he hasn’t heard back from TAMU…he’s a review admit at a small private non ranking school…
GPA 101
Tamu ranked him Top Q
SAT 1280
NHS
Awesome recommendations from former Aggies
Loads of EC’s community service hours and varsity athlete x 3 sports
I doubt TAMU will offer him anything more than PSA…the soft denial…
That’s okay…it’s a number game in TEXAS these days…Sadly, he will not carry on the family Aggie Torch

(Every year, there are a handful from our non ranking school that move to the public school for their senior year…They all make the top 10% and all get into UT or TAMU…If TAMU or UT is your dream school…you must be willing to play the Top 10% Game)

Hopefully, this doesn’t sound like sour grapes in any way…It was NOT intended that way…
It’s just a glimpse into what our children are up against and truthfully what Admissions at TAMU is up against in creating the TAMU Class of 2023…Eventually, somethings gotta give?

Flag A

@maw1970 last year my son was denied admission and offered PSA. He was accepted to Auburn and Texas Tech engineering but has grown up wanting to be an Aggie. Instead of attending another university he enrolled in the Engineering Academy in Brenham. I won’t repost everything here as it has been posted multiple times in this thread and a separate thread that I started last Spring. That thread is on the first page. If your son wants to be an Aggie, this is a viable pathway. Gige’em.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2062343-engineering-academies.html#latest

@maw1970
These stats have been gone over quite a bit on past posts on the main admissions page. I am glad you brought them up here. I have been keeping track of the numbers for a few cycles now using the actual numbers from DARS https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student

The 60% acceptance rate to A&M that get posted/are shown is misleading because that number includes the pathway admissions decisions and not exclusively full admissions to A&M by a review applicant that is not top 10% or an Academic Admit.

My 21 pages of notes from the last 3 admission cycles are currently being reorganized so @BlueBayouAZ may can get her hands on the numbers faster. She has done a superb job of comparing all of the different reports with the official reported numbers. Besides DARS, I copy the info from this link, as it will update with new info http://web-as.tamu.edu/ecardimages/2017/CounselorConnection/updateSPRING.html.

A&M cannot reduce admitting the Top 10% without going through the Texas Legislature, as UT did. That may occur once the top 10% of enrollment exceeds 75% of the incoming freshman class. However, being a land grant institution, whereas UT is not, A&M may not try to restrict the enrollment percentage and thus try to accommodate more Blinn TEAM admissions now they have moved to their own campus at RELLIS and don’t have to compete for space at an independent community college, that is Blinn.

Right now, enrollment is around 60% from top 10%.

I posted on the regular admissions thread about how the top 10% rule came into being. Page 192 Post 2874.
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2088998-tamu-class-2023-admission-decisions-p192.html

From the FAQ section at the bottom of the page http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted
Types of admissions to A&M
I am in review. What are my chances of getting admitted?
About 35% of review applicants receive some form of admission to Texas A&M. There are several different admission options including:
• Full Admission to Texas A&M
• Texas A&M Blinn TEAM
• Engineering Academy at Blinn
• Aggie Gateway to Success
• Engineering at Galveston
• Higher Education Center at McAllen

Unfortunately, yes, people do come on here and lie about their stats, make more than one profile etc. That is why a friend of a friend got X posts from a new poster isn’t given any thought to. Unfortunately, quite a few fakes and multiple user names have been discovered and reported. As one of the Mods, who is from TX but now lives elsewhere says: MODERATOR’S NOTE: If you see a user with just a couple of posts who claims to know something that everyone else doesn’t, or is too good to be true, PLEASE use some common sense and realize they’re spamming. It’s best to report their post and ignore them. Don’t feed the spammers!

@Thelma2
I think you have done a wonderful job of answering questions
Presenting facts
Offering tips/ ideas
Encouraging applicants
Explaining pathways to being an Aggie
I have read nearly every page on this thread and it has provided me with a wealth of information
Thank you thank you and also
@AggieMomhelp
You are an angel to all of these kids and families trying to navigate the TAMU system
Lastly

Sincerely
My post was just to highlight the struggles for the kids applying that are considered “Review Admits”
It’s a tough group to be placed in
End of story

Wow @maw1970 Those are some great words of advice and good intel you presented. And thanks for your kind words to me and Thelma2. I agree with @trinley the Blinn Brenham Academy is a great program and will get your son prepared for second year at TAMU campus if that’s where he chooses.

The admissions process and center for A&M is so messed up and unorganized like they dont even have a time table for engineering decisions now theyre saying late march and the wait is unbelievable. Like I called them at mid january last month and told me all decisions for engineering should be out by end of the month now its feb and theyre saying late march. Why cant they just get their facts straight and stop confusing people overly much. I have just given up on all hope for getting accepted to cstat and am just going to to UH. I feel so depressed right now and dreadful but wish for the best.

@hansenelliott007 We are also OOS and not waiting for TAMU. My son also applied to Penn State and was accepted within 3 weeks of applying. It is an awesome school, has a great Computer Science program, and is comparable to TAMU. Yes, it is a little colder than Texas but definitely a little cheaper. We just visited a second time to make sure and this is it! As long as you accept before April 1st you won’t have a problem with getting your choice of housing. Good Luck! WE ARE!!

Wherever your child ends up it will all work out. This is my third time around and my other two sons do not regret the path that they chose and would not change it if given the chance. Good Luck to All!