TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@Thelma2 @AgggieMomhelp
One more question on TEAB
What if you don’t maintain a 3.5 average in the two years at TEAB
Let’s say you have a 3.0? What are the chances that you would be accepted into the tamu college of engineering during the ETAM process…
I read on the Aggie website
“Those who do not meet entry-to-a-major requirements can apply for a change of curriculum into a degree granting major…inside or outside the college of engineering”
When I called TAMU admissions today they told me

1. accepting TEAB is not a binding contract
    Your not agreeing to attend until you sign up for NSC
  2. in TEAB if you don’t maintain a 3.5…co-enrolled/ you won’t be considered to transfer to the College of Engineering
    Thanks again,
    maw

@maw1970 I am not the expert on engineering, but the 3.5 is not a cutoff by any means. If you maintain a 3.5 then you are guaranteed your first choice major. Below that, you “apply” to your top 3 I believe. Only if you don’t maintain a 2.5 at Blinn and 2.0 at TAMU will they drop you from the program but I believe you would still have time to complete requirements to stay in engineering and do the ETAM again.

And yes, if you decide to change majors from Engineering, you can apply to change major once you meet the requirements set by your intended major. Does this help? I’m sure @thelma2 will be along and either agree or expand on my post!

@AggieMomhelp Thank you! Also, do you know if academy students can in apartments such as White Creek, because I have friends who are business and econ majors, and so I wanted to dorm with them in White Creek.

@learner234 Absolutely you can! My son lives there with 3 other guys (4 bedroom 2 bath). They love it. And now that the White Creek community center is open, they have great access to food, study rooms, computer lab, etc. so they don’t HAVE to go to main campus if they don’t want to.

@AggieMomhelp Ok, Thank you!

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp
Called TAMU one more time
AND

1. TEAB students must maintain a 3.5 to be able to transfer to TAMU college of engineering and apply for ETAM entry to a major
  2. Let’s say you have a 3.0 or 3.4
    You will likely not be considered for a degree in engineering at TAMU and advisors will help you “apply for a change of curriculum into a different degree granting major at TAMU”
  3. I asked what if you’re a full admit to general engineering at TAMU and you have a 3.4…she said, that’s different because you’re fully enrolled as an engineering student at TAMU college station
  4. TEAB sounds good BUT that’s a big gamble if you can’t maintain an “A” average in difficult classes
    Your thoughts
    Does all of this sound correct??
    You guys are the experts on here and thank you for any advice.

@Thelma2 and @AggieMomhelp Thank you for all your help in this process! I really appreciate all of it!

@maw1970 THAT IS AALLLLL FALSE. Not sure why you were told that.

Look at this and then tell me what you think.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/entry-to-a-major/engineering-academy-program-etm/index.html

@maw1970 I would call them back and direct them to that link. It’s sad they are telling you such false info or you are just misunderstanding. The 3.5 is the guarantee of first choice. That’s it.

My son was offered Galveston this morning.
Review candidate for Engineering

1st quarter. 4.34 gpa. Lots of science and math.
SAT 1190, R/W 590, M 600

Worked part time job so not much EC otherwise.
Nice essay. One LOR from Alumnus/teacher.
Was also admitted to UTD and TTU.
Applied second week of July.

Is leaning toward TTU. Wants to be at one place for the four years. Likes the campus. Lots of friends there.

Thank you to everyone for their insights during this crazy process.

@CPMom2023 Tech has a great Engineering school! We have a friend who chose TTU Engineering over TAMU-rankings and hire statistics.

@AggieMomhelp
https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/academies/blinn-bryan/terms-and-conditions.html

Yes, you stay in the TEAB program with a GPA 2.5 but there are no guarantees that you’ll be able to transfer/ be accepted into the college of engineering

The wording is somewhat unclear

I called twice and both times the TAMU admission/ advisors were clear…

If you don’t maintain a 3.5
You can still secure full admission to A & M
However probably not in the college of engineering

“Upon successful completion, students can apply for a change of curriculum and to a degree granting major at Texas A&M. Advisers for the engineering Academy program will help engineering students identify majors in or outside the college of engineering that are suitable for their academic goals and GPA competitiveness”

@AggieMomhelp
I did send an email to the TEAB director to clarify this concern.
First and second year engineering classes are challenging and maintaining a 3.5 Maybe harder than most realize.
Will let you know what I hear back.
Difficult decision

I have to disagree… the wording is very clear to me and I’ve known soooo many students that have done it with below a 3. They just got their 3rd choice sometimes. @thelma2 Help a sista out here. I don’t want these parents stressed. The success rate of getting into main campus eng. major is really high.

Class of 2020 Statistics
100 percent of eligible engineering students were placed in a major.

93 percent of eligible engineering students were placed in their first or second choice major.
86 percent of eligible engineering students were placed in their first choice major.

Eligible is defined as:
Entry to a Major Eligibility Requirements

Student entry to a major (ETAM) eligibility will be based upon at least two semesters of coursework at Texas A&M University and the academy two-year institution. Students are ETAM eligible based upon courses completed at the conclusion of the semester the application is submitted. For example, for students who submit an application during the spring semester, the eligibility is based upon the courses completed at the end of the spring semester.

Grade Point Average:

Engineering academy two-year institution cumulative GPA of at least a 2.5
Term GPA of at least a 2.0
Texas A&M University cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0
Term GPA of at least a 2.0

@AggieMomhelp

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/entry-to-a-major/engineering-academy-program-etm/index.html

Engineering Academy Enrty to a Major
Info…
3.5 guaranteed engineering major
But once again those with GPA 3.4-2.5
Can apply for entry-to-a-major
But it doesn’t clarify within the engineering department
Maybe inside or outside the college of engineering
Once again
The wording is confusing

Thank goodness! Congratulations to all the new Engineering admits!

@maw1970 you are getting hung up on the word guaranteed. YES, within the college of engineering, those that meet the requirements of 2.5-3.4 will apply and 93% get their first or second choice major. Some can list up to 4 engineering majors. They are not talking about anything outside of engineering. This is an easy process. It’s designed to help them succeed, not fail. The requirements could not be more defined.

@maw1970

Congrats on your admission decision. From now on, I am going to predict that A&M will release decisions on my busiest days possible and being on CC is sparse. I am trying to read through the posts right now, digest all of your questions and give you a thorough and complete answer.

Bear with me, as I might get interrupted while formulating my answer but I promise I will post a reply to you that will be helpful to all.

@maw1970 @AggieMomhelp I think part of the problem here is that the last time tamu posted the statistics on holistic ETAM was the class of 2020 and a lot has changed since then. The class of 2021 was the first class to have a holistic review for engineering admission and when their first opportunity to ETAM happened several of the most popular engineering majors filled up with auto admits. The statistics you posted are not reality anymore and that is probably why they are no longer updating that information. They changed the rules of ETAM for the class of 2022 to make it harder for auto-admits it would not surprise me at all if it is harder for kids at the CS campus to ETAM that it would be harder for the academy kids as well.