TAMU Class of 2023 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@maw1970 You’re not bound by anything to be honest. Go the NSC says you are committed because you sign up for classes. You can cancel anytime up til the 5th day of class. Then it’s a withdrawal… so seriously, no commitment.

@learner234 The picture takes place during Howdy week (the week before school starts). You are an Aggie, so yes, you’ll be in the picture if you show up.

@maw1970 Registering for NSC isn’t binding. Rarely do people attend NSC and not attend. The national deadline to accept or decline admissions is May 1. There are people who likely accept their admissions decision and sign up for housing and never show up for whatever reason. Once it is verified that they are not coming, the university will take those assigned rooms and start placing the incoming students who got temporary housing into those now available rooms. It isn’t a huge number but it does happen. It is not looked upon favorably, because it is giving your word you will attend, but things happen and circumstances change.

A&M isn’t like the universities that have early action/decision binding agreements that you are mandated to attend and deny all other applications if an offer is made to you. You are not going to be stuck with a tuition and housing bill.

That said, people that apply for housing and later decide to live off campus, and don’t cancel the housing contract by May 1, will have a nice fat bill for the dorm when statements come out in August. That, you are on the hook for.

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2 So I’m still wondering, my friends who are Mays full admits have filled out their housing deposits, and I will most likely get 6 tabs tomorrow. So to choose roommates, how does that process work? Do we link UID’s or something? They are in White Creek, so I am hoping that they are able to reserve a spot for me so nothing runs out.

Are your friends same class as you? If so, they do not have a room yet. You can find eachother on roommate finder once you have signed up and paid your deposit. Assuming their time slot is before yours for dorm selection, they will pull you into the room with them. Only one person can pull one person. So y’all will need to figure that out when the time comes. They will most likely have different days and times for selection.

@Thelma2 So from what I read, everything goes through A&M? is that correct, just want to confirm and thanks for that link and help your awesome

@AggieMomhelp Yes, they are Class of 2023. What do you mean by time slot? Sorry, I have no idea how housing works.

I’m saying they do not have a room yet. Housing office will give each student a day and time to go select a room. So to say they are in White Creek is confusing since no freshmen have a dorm yet.

@learner234 your friends definitely don’t have rooms in White Creek. Housing slots haven’t even been assigned yet. Housing slots will be assigned in late April (most likely, based on previous years), then you’re given a very specific window of time that you can select your bed. You’ll need several dorm choices, as the housing fills up quickly.
Housing slots are assigned by the time stamp
Housing deposit was made (some disagree with this, but it’s what I’ve read and been told by multiple people).
You need to go on TAMU Housing website and research it all. Roommate Finder opened up yesterday.
I highly suggest taking a dorm tour also, if you haven’t already.

@learner234 this thread tells you all about housing http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2125363-housing-move-in-tips-2019-p1.html

Read every page and link

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp
I talk to one of the heads of TEAB
Which was nice that she returned my phone call and she was very helpful
Two takeaways

1. TEAB students who are eligible for Entry to a Major are about 40% successful their first try…but keep in mind you get three attempts
  2. About 80% in TEAB do successfully transfer to TAMU (I assume she meant in engineering?)
  3. Pass rate at Blinn/ For TEAB students taking math and science (Calculus/ Physics)
    Is 80%
  4. Plan on 45 min-1 hour to get to College Station from RELLIS campus on the bus during peak hours
    She recommended bus over personal vehicle because of parking issues
    (This is why they try to schedule Blinn classes MWF and Tamu classes Tu/ Th)

That’s the rest of what I learned today
Too much info/ I’m saturated
Time to digest with my son & husband about the best plan

Thanks again for everyone on this thread
It takes a village to send your child off to college these days

Thank you @maw1970 - super helpful!
Let the digesting begin… same situation here…

@rockmom21
I’m brain dead
4 takeaways
What are your thoughts on the TEAB offer??

Well, since we are OOS, and that all other offers placed her in Mech Engineering from the get-go, I’m a little stressed that she might not get in.
She liked the friendly, well laid out campus and the school spirit; loved Aggieland and felt shecould call it home, and since TEAB could cut down the cost for year one and possible year two, it seems manageable.
On the flip side: she has to commute to Rellis. We will pay full price OOS year 3 and 4, and she did not get MEEN as a guaranteed major.
She visited with a U of Pittsburgh rep; not only did she get in, but she will definitely get MEEN, and their Engineering school looks great.
OOS cost a little cheaper there vs TAMU.
Maximum of 550 Engineering students in her class. Literally told us “if everyone wants MEEN, they will all get to study it.” No caps on major.
They also offer co-op (she will get paid and we do not pay tuition during that semester, we need to look into this).
In state she has Cal Poly and Long Beach State.
Utah is practically like paying in-state, she received the WUE scholarship.
Lots to consider here @maw1970

@pbleigh Thanks, your post was very informative. Thinking who to ask for 2021 data from tamu? 2022 data might not be available yet. Can you please also post the aggie reddit link here.

@ham01 sorry for some reason CC will not let me post a link to the aggie reddit.

@rockmom21
Your daughter has lots of great opportunities!
My son is deciding between straight admission to mechanical engineering at TCU (small engineering class size/ I think around 300) vs. TEAB/ co-enrollment at TAMU/ Blinn
Tackling the transfer process after 2 years/ Entry-to-a-Major seems daunting
Both solid choices but very different experiences

@maw1970
Good luck to your son! TCU is a great school and yes, I’m sure it would be a very different college experience!
I feel blessed to glean such great info here and also blessed that my daughter has many good options for college.
:slight_smile:

@maw1979 it’s 2 semesters not years. Just making sure you knew that. If typo, my apologies.

@AggieMomhelp
Yes 2 semesters… Possibly 4 tho