TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Regarding band - funny, my son prefers the military-style march to the DCI-style. He was mixed on the idea of corps but decided he’d be all-in if he chose TAMU. I’m really glad he’s continuing band.

He went to Ohio State band clinic last summer and loved it. He was planning to apply but heard about Notre Dame before doing the application, so he likely won’t bother. As big OSU fans, our family is a little sad about that!

@BlueBayouAZ But I do see the list of the things always discussed on this forum in the “alternative admissions” - I’d never seen that. Would have made reading this forum 100x easier!

Sorry about the bum link to transfers - I was doing too many things at once.

http://www.aggiebound.com/ This says to apply early in the “how to apply” area as well.

I’m not sure how much communication you had with regional admission advisors, and I don’t know what the OOS ones are like - but every presentation/campus tour we went on pushed the apply early, by the first week of October. Every email communication etc.

My theory - and it’s only speculation - is that at the end of September - when Mays is nearly at capacity - they look at the early applied Mays review candidates and admit a select few before the program is full. We have seen a couple holistic Mays admits right around the early engineering deadline the past two years.

Those candidates seem to be razor close to Academic Admits.

We knew my senior would be a review candidate and reviews rarely get in. Mays always fills up by mid-November. They only take 1,000 and it’s first come first served.

This comes directly from Mays -

1. INCOMING FRESHMEN – 1,000 ADMITTED Mays does not directly select new freshmen. All students must apply through the university’s Office of Admissions process. Select business (BUAD) as your first-choice major. Once you have been admitted to the university, you will be considered by University Admissions for entry into Mays on a first-come, first-served basis. The demand for Mays is much greater than the number actually admitted, so it is important to complete the application process early. If there is no space available in Mays when you are admitted to the university, you will be placed in your second-choice major. Please direct all inquiries to the Office of Admissions, not Mays.

To all you band moms, mine wasn’t crazy about military marching but it has grown on him. A lot of the kids do DCI marching over the summer if that is their thing and travel competing. The FTAB band is well traveled and he has had a lot of great experiences. TAMU loves their band and it shows when they step off on Kyle Field. Not to mention the shenanigans they get to participate in for midnight yell during the football season. It’s not for everyone though!

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/ED/htm/ED.51.htm

This would be uc system. Not sure how it is now. At some points in recent past, it became a big issue because schools would give a lift to those international students, some could not even communicate.

Anyone able to answer my earlier question? Is there a direct link to Majors accepted onto Team Blinn?

https://tap.tamu.edu/Programs/TEAM

The admission agreements list the direct pathways. Otherwise- you can be admitted to certain majors or are given a semester to find a major.

Takes me to: What’s Blinn TEAM?
Prospective Students
Admission Agreements
Readmission Policy
FAQs
Terms and Conditions

What link do I choose?

Under Admission Agreements…I think…

if you click admission agreement it has all the blinn team pathway options into specific majors!

there is a VERY limited list of majors (PSY not included), and, I know it changes, but PSY not included on Liberal Arts majors. SUPER confusing.

You mentioned there are 100 Mays internal transfers a year? How many applicants are there? Does my son have a realistic shot at getting in? Also do you think my son will get in? I posted his stats earlier.

@2NDGENAGGIE; Click on Admissions Agreements and that links you into a list of colleges/depts that have ‘pathway agreements’ for direct entry for TEAM students if they meet required # of hrs/GPA/prerequisite classes taken while in TEAM. Do note also what it says also in Prospective Students link under prog requirements sub heading …
“The basic requirements of TEAM include completion of 45 credit hours at Blinn College and 15 credit hours at Texas A&M during the two-year program. Students who complete the academic requirements transition into degree-granting majors through a change of curriculum process (no external application is required), but entering students are not guaranteed entry to a particular college or major in advance. (Entry into many academic majors is competitive based on criteria such as grade point average and prerequisite course completion.) It is possible to transition into some academic majors in less than two years.”
There are people on this forum way more au fait with this admission pathway than I am & I’m sure they’ll be able to answer in detail any specific questions you may still have particularly if the major your student desires isn’t covered in that list…but everyone speaks highly of this opportunity.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for this info. I was wondering if we should do the housing even though my kids are not committed to TAMU yet at this point.

@ATTX I think it all depends on the school and your/students preferences. With our oldest - he wanted to room with a friend - they were fine with freshman housing when it became open. With our current student - he wanted the llc (learning community dorm for major). We went ahead a put a deposit down for housing so that he had a spot in that dorm if the college becomes his choice. The drawback is that you do lose part of the deposit. It was a risk we chose in this case. Some larger schools have had overenrollment and run out of housing. This is rare, but it does happen.

@nick34 I wish i knew how many students apply to mays as internal transfer. I do know this (now) when you apply for internal change of major, there is no spot to plead your case or add accolades etc. it’s this:

How many hours at Tamu
Gpa for Tamu hours
Click on classes takes
This will be the list given on their site. Like acct 229, Econ 202 and 203. Math 140 and 142 etc.

That’s it!!! My son got in but his best friend didn’t. Total shame. His friend has owned one or two businesses since he was 12. His gpa was Lower than my sons but his experience is way better. He’s staying in ag bus and will do just fine but my point is grades are the main thing! My sons Tamu gpa was 3.65 and had a 3.8 in required classes. He was also set to move straight into upper level. So maybe that Gave him a leg up. Not sure what his besties stats are but they weren’t bad. 3.5 perhaps.

Hi y’all! I posted a few weeks ago on here asking about my stats/ chances, and I’ve been following the thread ever since. I applied with Nutrition as my major, and I haven’t seen anyone else that applied with that major, or heard of anyone being accepted into that major. Did anyone else on here apply for nutrition? If so have y’all heard back? I’m having such a hard time waiting, it’s so nerve wracking and I’m so ready to hear back. I know that my major is a little uncommon, so I feel like I could be one of the last to hear back. I’m not positive if that’s how the admissions work though.

Hi there. Catching up on yesterday and today’s discussions. Would today be considered a wave… if not, when can review admits expect to hear back. What is the order of acceptances/rejections?