TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I’ve heard notices will go begin to go out on the 19th. Is it likely that notice will be via electronic notices?

Okay… going to try this again! (I posted a while back but didn’t really know what I was doing lol!) Wondering chances… OOS! Yes we know tuition is crazy… we will wait and see if any scholarship opportunities. Also wants to join Corp of Cadets. Main question…if accepted into Blinn, can he still join the Corp?

When did you apply: July
Class Rank:1/99
GPA 4.0
SAT (with Sub Scores)
ACT (with Sub Scores) Comp 27, Eng 27, Math 26, Reading 30, Science 25 (took again this last Saturday)
When did you receive your admission decision: waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit:Review
Major/College of Choice: Agribusiness

Varsity golf/varsity letter 3 years, SADD VP, tutoring, church volunteer things

Thank you in advance!

@sallye I would say he has an excellent chance with being Valedictorian and a decent ACT score. ECs look good too.

If if here to get Blinn TEAM then yes, he can be in the Corps. If he goes straight Blinn, then no. Being out of state I just want to make sure you’re clear on the difference. You probably are, but wanted to make sure I answered it specifically.

My son–
When did you apply: completed September 12
Class Rank: Top 25% (assigned by TAMU/SRAR)
SAT: 1360 (EBRW: 730, Math: 630)
When did you receive your admission decision: Waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Looks like Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays Business

I just noticed that the top 25% was assigned yesterday, so he should be good-to-go as an academic admit to Mays, correct?

@franknd
Mays Business has 1,000 seats for incoming freshman. Auto and Academic Admits have the best shot at getting into Mays, but it depends on how many have been admitted at that time that the applicant is being accepted.

I did not think to add… My son is not fully decided on a major, not surprisingly at 17 years old. Because most colleges expect a major to be listed, he listed one for all applications. He listed business as the major at the four other schools he applied to (and was accepted by). Because Mays fills up before review admits are considered, he selected sports management for A&M. His second choice was Allied Health, another major in the College of Education. He also considered some options in Liberal Arts. I wonder if it would have increased his chances to have a second choice in another college. Any thoughts? Would it be wise to change that second choice before the review admits are considered?

@bargainshopper75 With his application in and already under review, is that a significant concern this early? He appears to qualify for Academic Admit. Do Academic Admits – who aren’t applying at the last minute – ever not get Mays?

@AgDad90 Major is irrelevant when being admitted to TAMU. They do not look at the major until after they decide on admissions. So rest assured, he’s fine in that regard. With your sons test scores being where they are, he will be hard pressed to get full admit into TAMU IF last years cycle is any indication. A few years ago, he probably would have been just fine with a 24. Also hard to tell with Gateway and Team. They said they are trying to go back to how Gateway was intended. It’s to prepare students with a “disadvantage” to assist them before Fall starts. Disadvantage could be a learning, first gen student, etc.
Team students last year were pretty high up in scores but lower in rank. It will be interesting once some holistic review candidates get decisions so we can see how they compare to last year’s caliber of students.

@franknd Yes your son is Academic Admit. Should get decision sooner than later and hopefully there will still be spots in Mays left. I would assume so. Last year it filled by October. Congrats on the excellent score to take away the waiting game!

Thanks, AggieMomhelp.

I understand that university admission is decided first, without regard for major. But, I was not sure if other majors (outside of Engineering or Business) are ever deemed full, such that choosing one over another might make a difference.

I did not think a full admit for my son was likely, if even possible. He does not have a “disadvantage”, so Gateway seems out by your understanding of the aim. I wondered about Blinn Team, as I was not familiar with this option until we went for the campus tour last year. Back in my day, kids who didn’t get into A&M sometimes applied to Blinn as a means to go away to college, with hopes of later transferring into A&M. But, I don’t think it was an official pathway.

Getting into the A&M and UT is much more complicated and competitive than it was 30+ years ago.

@franknd My DS20 and I visited TAMU over the summer and during the info session they told us to apply by Oct 1st if we were interested in Mays. Your son should be good unless TAMU had a lot more top 10% and academic admits than they expected.

Thank you.

Thank you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain to me what the 6 tabs are- where do I look and what are they labeled as?

In-state petroleum engineering applicant (review application)

Applied September 8th, decision pending

Senior

Class rank: 26.4%, 4.08 GPA but my school is very competitive

SAT: 1520 (760 English and 760 Math)

Extracurriculars: Football (Varsity), Basketball (JV), Track (JV), NHS

I have had all A’s throughout high school, but I lived in Canada for 9th grade and 10th grade so I didn’t take many AP/5-point classes. I moved to Texas right before my junior year.

What would y’all say are my chances of getting into A&M? (preferably straight to College Station)

@Boogie818
Log into Howdy, and at the top of the page (above the content) you will see menu tabs. On a mobile device, the tabs are menu drop-down categories at the top left of the screen. There are usually 3 tabs, but they become 6 tabs when an Acceptance Letter is imminent.
The 6 tabs are labeled: Home, Applicant, My Record, My Finances, Student Life, My Howdy.

Reading through this thread, it seems the consensus is that Mays fills up by October. What about for engineering? Does anyone have a specific period for that? I’m trying to submit early October, a little before the Engineering Oct 15 recommendation.

Oh wow- thank you. We have 6 tabs!!! I just couldn’t tell for sure what everyone was talking about because I haven’t been looking in HOWDY. I have been looking in the AIS page. So would it be really likely that we will get notification at the end of this week?

@AggieMomhelp thanks for your answer! I was wondering how we got the ranking assigned! so I guess the best you can get is top 25%? since we homeschoool… my daughter has unweighted 4.0 and she also has some college credits from Blinn and Tulane and they’re also all 4.0, so I’m hoping she’ll get in…

Posting for my DD who is hoping to get into the Engineering program:

When did you apply: 09/08
Class Rank: 39/658
GPA: Unweighted 3.75
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1400 (Math 690, R/W-710) and 1370 (Math- 710, R/W-660)
When did you receive your admission decision: waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering

Classes: Currently in AP Physics C, AP Cal, AP Eng, AP Govt (all other core classes have been Pre-Ap or AP)
EC: Varsity Dance Team (Co-Captain), NHS Officer, Volunteering
Honors/Awards: National Hispanic Scholar, AP Scholar, Girls State

Her portal has 6 tabs and also found her transcript which says Engineering Review. My concern is her Math SAT score, is there an average Math SAT score for entrance into the engineering program? If they take her highest composite score, that is not her highest math score. I wish they would superscore!

Engineering decisions are completely separate than regular admissions. You’ll be admitted first and then engineering decisions will come out. It takes a while. Just breathe. I do believe they look at everything that will help the student.

And yes, for schools that don’t rank or home school, top quarter is the highest they can get.