TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I emailed them directly asking about admissions, this was not an email update.

Maybe they’ll throw us a “Have an awesome weekend, NEW Aggies!” this afternoon. I know it’s not typical, but nothing has been thus far.

He has to “wait” but it seems like that wait is just a day or two. It’s a clerical function VS an application review.

For those of you who will have students entering Gateway this summer, may I give you one piece of advise

Since Gateway is a very select number of students (I believe around 300) they will all live in one or two dorm buildings and they will be “watched”. What I mean by that is while our daughter was in it, there were a few students who got over zealous being away at college for the first time and were caught drinking, being totally drunk, or possessing booze while on campus, and those students were thrown out! Imagine A&M being your dream school all throughout HS, you go and party a little too much one night while at Gateway, get caught doing it, and BOOM, you’re out of A&M. Please warn your kids that TAMU is strict about drugs and alcohol, especially during Gateway because there’s so few kids to watch. One day my daughter told us that they had an “unannounced room check” and she believed they were looking for either drugs or alcohol.

I can’t speak to how it is during normal Fall and Spring semesters in the dorms because our daughter lived in an apartment for the 4 years after Gateway. The apartments that are privately owned are of course not “watched” so to speak by TAMU.

Please tell your kiddos to be smart about their choices while away at college!

@2NDGENAGGIE My son was a holistic review candidate for Meteorology and got full acceptance back in October. However, I am now realizing just how lucky he was to hear so early. 28 ACT 1250 SAT 12th percentile in his class. There have been a few others but few and far between.

Anyone else notice the message on HOWDY portal: “IMPORTANT: Howdy will be unavailable on Saturday, February 1, 2020 from 6:45AM to 1:00PM, for maintenance. However, many services, including Email and eCampus, will be available during Howdy
” (their bad grammar kills me!). Has anyone seen (not an update, but an offer) an Offer go out on Saturday or Sunday?

@Rdy2Fly and everyone else that got Gateway! My daughter got Gateway in 2018 and it was fantastic! The required class that teaches them all about the study resources on campus and how to seek out assistance and advocate for yourself put her in a position to excel very comfortably in the fall. Also, she made some of her best friends that summer and she lives with them in an apartment now. She just made the Dean’s List. Also, the percentage of students that make it through Gateway to full admission in the fall is like 95%. Gateway students ARE AGGIES! Congratulations!!

5 questions about blinn:

1. If I take the option to be "considered" for blinn, does this basically mean that I'm automatically gonna be enrolled in dual enrollment at blinn for the engineering academy?
  2. Is it possible that if I wait until April 1st that the blinn option wouldn't be there anymore?
  3. If I accept dual enrollment in AIS, do I still have to apply for the engineering academy at Blinn College?
  4. If I accept Blinn, do I automatically get a dorm on the CStat campus? (I know that I can still live on campus at Cstat and I still need to apply for housing).
  5. What classes are required to take at blinn (and Cstat) to, with a 3.5+ GPA, to get auto admission into my first choice major my sophmore year? (Engineering and core). I'm planning on going into CS my sophmore year.

I don’t even care if it’s through blinn for a year cause I’m still an Aggie! So excited for next year! Couldn’t thank this forum enough for all the helpful advice! Gig 'em!

Any Architecture majors here?

@2NDGENAGGIE - No
I just checked both portals and clicked on all tabs and do not see that message.

its at the top before logging into howdy

UHHHHHHH
now I’m SUPER worried, and have an Applicant that’s in TEARS b/c she’s had ZERO changes, and those scoring lower + don’t care if they’re an Aggie or not are getting offers. WOW! I’m so glad I graduated HS in 1982
just got a letter that started “Congratulations!”. SO MUCH less stressful.

Just like the admission counselor said
“it’s not where you start, it’s where you finish”

I graduated HS in '87
went straight into Blinn without even batting an eye towards TAMU. 2 years later, transferred to TAMU and Graduated with a BBA-Marketing in '92

@2NDGENAGGIE - I see it. Thank you @mantasaur .

@2NDGENAGGIE - that was a letter you received in high school or you just got a letter in communications in AIS saying congrats?

exact same with me! which option did you choose for the waitlist?

I completely get it AG DAD
BUT, NO CHANGES = NO PLAN. We can’t even go to CS to enroll in Blinn CC and get an Apartment. We can’t let anyone that has an Apt already in CS know if she can be their roommate. We can’t see what dorms on campus are still available, we can’t
and, trust me, there are two words I hate: should & can’t.

@Hope2Baggie 
LOL! In 1982 there was no web (except military), no social media, and the VERY FEW “PCs” were “green on black”. I applied only to TAMU, and, waited on snail mail for my acceptance letter & if I got a Dorm room or not letter
back then, you didn’t chose your dorm
you were assigned a room # & roommate.

@2NDGENAGGIE If you are 100% certain you be in College Station regardless of straight Blinn or TAMU you could go ahead and sign on an apartment since Freshman are not required to live in the dorms. It is a comfort level thing but it is an option if you want to lock something in. We signed on my DD apartment for next year back in Oct and she is still waiting for official transfer offer.

Help, I am confused! The AIS earlier said, “you have been offered options for Galveston, McAllen, or Blinn.” We selected Blinn and now the AIS says, “You are being considered for the Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan.” Did I get excited a little too early? Are we in or are we waiting for another approval from Blinn?

@jmg817 Hang tight
it takes a short time to confirm there is still space and accept you. Since you did it right away it should be totally fine. You should find out in a day or two. :slight_smile: . It is an administrative thing to formally put you in that program.