TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I’m one of those parents whose DD received the 3 choices of Galveston - McAllen - Academy Engineering at Blinn for her engineering major. I know some of you have already said to put our choice in (which we did around 8:30am that day) and our AIS should update soon, but it’s only a formality at this point. What I noticed is that our “offer” on AIS didn’t mention anything about spots being limited, as it’s typically said on other offers. It just said to give our answer by April 1st. I find it a bit odd that 2 days have gone by with still no update that says congratulations on her AIS page. If it’s just a back office type of update that should happen once a student makes their pick, then why wouldn’t the system have already updated over the weekend?

I’m truly hoping that it’s just a weekend thing, but my mind is starting to wonder. Is there the possibility that they are now putting those kids through another review process? Our AIS screen did say “we would like to consider you for admissions to one of the following pathways”. It mentioned nothing about the possibility of one of them filling up before the April 1 deadline.

Also, let me point out that we still have 3 tabs, not 6!

Any thoughts on this???

im in the same boat as you!!

Each family & student has its own decision to make & decide whether it is worth it or not.

If you have dreamed of becoming an Aggie or Longhorn since you were a kid because your whole families are, then of course it is definitely worth it. There are other tangible reasons as well, if your kid is admitted to CalTech or MIT, would you think it is worth it to invest in his education ? The opportunities and advantages available to a graduate from the highly recognized universities are real and can never be dismissed or diminished. It can’t just be quantified and based on 1st year salary - there are more to it.

Like the saying goes “to each his own” … congrats and best wishes to your son wherever he decides to attend …

I believe the data show that for engineering the school matters a lot less. The further you get from fields like engineering, the more name and alumni network, and the concept of “signalling,” matter. The other question, however, is how committed any particular HS kid is to following through to receipt of an engineering degree. If he’s 100% committed and able, then probably a good bet.

Just my 2 cents.

I know I asked this the other day, but was looking for any kind of update. Admissions won’t really answer any of my questions about being waitlisted because they claim a letter was sent out explaining the details of our situation. Have any other people who’ve been wait listed received a letter in the mail yet? Getting a little frustrated with this process. Never get emails from admissions either, not even when I got into the Galveston campus.

And yes, i’ve made sure I gave them the right email too.

last email i got from tamu was the one about aggieland saturday. before that, my uin last year.

@KMH2502 - our daughter was waitlisted last week. She has been emailing an admissions advisor and he has been graciously responding to her emails. I haven’t heard of any letters being sent to waitlisted students. They got the message on their AIS that they had been waitlisted. My daughter did get a generic email about 4 days later saying - have you checked your AIS? There is an update. And that was it.

@LoneStarGuy What he has in his portal is final. He’s very unlike gonna get anything else from the school. I don’t think they would care if you tell them about his other scholarships from other schools. He may get something from the department which comes out around March - April. Even so, I would not count much on it. At least he got some need based help.

Yes. Not all schools are the same. It’s all about how we see/value certain things. In our circle of friends, there have been families who dropped full rides from uta/d, baylor, uh and even tamu to pay to go somewhere else. People, however, will argue the other way for variety of reasons. Even the first year salaries are not much different, the chance of getting one is different.

Question - under “Manage Application” - has this at the very bottom always been there:

Transfer Audits:

You do not have any transfer audit reports available at this time.

@kbbeale We noticed the same thing… I don’t think it was there before and wondered if it was part of an update done Saturday when HOWDY was down for maintenance?

@kbbeale @Aggiiemom it’s always been there

Several of my friends, as well as myself are in the same situation. As noted by @AggieDreamin earlier in this thread, the following quote applies:

I also was a prospective student who selected the choice as soon as it appeared on my portal (6:30am), so Howdy should update to reflect our admission either today or tomorrow based on past trends.

Which dorms are good for a female that is going to be in the Engineering Major?
Just wondering if the “Engineering” dorms are more guys than girls? Should we select an all Female dorm instead?

@KMH2502

Did you check in the portal under the communications tab for a copy of the letter? I discovered this weekend a copy of the letter they mailed us about my son’s Gateway Offer…

Anyone’s howdy portal still under maintenance? My daughter just tried to log on to howdy and it says Howdy Offline! & that it will be under maintenance on Saturday February 1 from 6:45 am to 1 pm. She was able to log on to AIS perfectly fine. Everything was the same on AIS, she is still in review and waiting for a decision ?

Our daughter told me, at 7:30 this morning…still 3 tabs. So, must not have received the “maintainance” alert (she received Friday) this morning.

my howdy is fine and doesn’t have an issue

I’m pretty sure we don’t have all female dorms any more. Some may alternate floors guy/gals, but everything is coed here.

I think Appelt is all male and Rudder, Underwood, Davis-Gary and Legget are all female. But I could be wrong.