TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Any changes to those that had Friday 1/31/2020 Engineering Academy release? My DD portal still hasn’t changed at all.
We still have only 3 tabs in Howdy and the “Considering” message in AIS. We still have the Change Major button.

Anyone else apply for engineering early action and STILL have no response? No change in Howdy or AIS either. Is it okay for a mom to call admissions or does that look a little too “crazy Texas momma”?

I am Not an engineering applicant, i am Just holistic review, and i checked this morning and my “change major” button I’m both AIS and Howdy are still there. Is this a good sign?

@Stonek If TAMU is your University of choice & PSA isn’t a viable option cos of your associates degree there are other ways …look into PTA (another guaranteed pathway) or going straight Junior/Community college eg. Blinn and transferring.
http://admissions.tamu.edu/pta.
Honestly - Your future is SO bright & attainable whichever route you go or final college decision/destination you choose. Do share this bigger & hugely positive picture with your parents.

PTA also seems out of reach due my major of choice not being an option. I applied for a BIMS major so I’m not even sure why or how I’m getting PSA…

PSA is a 1-year-program (two semesters - Fall and Spring). It is not something that continues on to a second year. I think you have to go through the regular transfer process if you go past the second semester.

Here from tamu

Requirements
To enroll at Texas A&M University, College Station after PSA, you must:

Complete specific course requirements from one of the approved TAMU program-specific degree plans.

Complete at least 24 transferable hours in residence at a single system school during the fall and spring semesters.

Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPR at the system school AND maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPR on all transferable coursework (including dual credit taken during high school). NOTE: Engineering applicants must maintain a 3.25 system school GPA and a 3.0 overall to guarantee admission.

Submit the transfer application along with all required documents by the March 1 deadline.

It is recommended that developmental course(s) and/or prerequisite course(s) be taken prior to fall enrollment. Example: Some institutions require College Algebra before enrolling in higher level math courses.

@Scotsfi & @BlueBayouAZ I don’t see anywhere on: http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA/ that TAMU GUARANTEES you entry into your Major at TAMU College Stataion. Please send me the direct link to the URL where you see that. Also, you must maintain 3.0 GPA & complete 24 hours, and then you are admitted to the next FALL semester…so, no matter what, you’re admitted Sophomore year. That’s OK, IF you are GUARANTEED your Major at TAMU CS. Thanks in advance! Also, (another reason I have no clue why not Gateway or TEAM offer), our daughter is an Honors student at the cc that she completed Dual Credit through…looks like those count toward your GPA, but not the 24 hours?

Maybe @JaceyK can weigh in. Her high performing student applied for BIMS but got PSA. He ended up doing PSA in another major and is in the process of PSA “applying/transferring” to College Station. She would have more details on the major he is in and how he is meeting is career goals with it.

yes, @jaceyk & bluebayouAZ looks like you would have to change major (IDK if “basic” courses are available at Rellis) to complete that PSA program at Rellis? Is that what your high-persorming student did? YIKES!!! I thought I had this all “down”, and here is a REALLY GOOD Curve Ball!

Even if I did go through with PSA, it would backtrack my progress since I’ll have my associates. That alone is already 60 credit hours, so it seems it would basically retaking classes.

When you accept the PSA off, you accept for a specific major and that is the major to which you are guaranteed admission. My daughter went through the PSA program at TAMU-Corpus Christi (she was offered all 8? campuses). She was on the Dean’s List at TAMU-CC and transferred into College Station this past fall semester.

I will warn everyone in advance it can be a long wait to get your “official” acceptance into College Station after submitting your application, but TAMU does stick to their word and it is guaranteed admission. We literally only had the option of the last NSC that was offered.

If you want to be at College Station PSA is a solid route. It is not ideal as it means at least one extra move, but as many have stated, “It’s not where you start, but where you finish” and PSA is one way to ensure that you finish at College Station if you choose.

While in PSA at Corpus Christi, the PSA advisor was always ensuring students were on track and sent reminders to get their applications in by the deadline. Our experience was that freshman year was over in the blink of an eye, and everything worked out in the end.

@patrick24

I understand this is a personal decision, but here’s our take:

Our son is a direct admit to TTU College of Arts & Science - Biology Major/Pre-optometry or Pre-dental. He’s graduating with 33 hours of dual credit. 3.9 GPA unweighted. Top 24%.

He will likely be offered TAMU PSA due to the disappearance of the ‘change major’ button.

He will not choose that route & will go with TTU who wanted him right away! He is very well-rounded & will excel wherever.

However, after already experiencing junior college classes & doing well via dual credit, he wants to reap what he has sown & have the FULL university experience that he has earned!!

Have you visited TTU yet? Very impressed with all aspects! Gorgeous campus & facilities. Awesome programs. Definitely not second rate!

I’m a 3rd Gen Horned Frog & more than excited to potentially have our first Red Raider!! Will just sit back patiently and see how this continued wait plays out…

To add further evidence to what @BlueBayouAZ has posted, my sons AIS and Howdy page no longer has the change of major button. He had a really rough soph year and we knew coming in to the process he would not get admitted. We toured Tarleton a year ago in preparation for a PSA decision.

Now, for those that have a dream of being an Aggie, PSA is not the end of the world. My son wants to graduate from A&M and I have no doubt that he will.

For those that want to be Aggie Engineers and received PSA. I encourage you in the most strong way I can, check out the engineering academy at Blinn Brenham. It is co-enrolled and you go through ETAM just like the full time students do. You only need a 2.5 to transition instead of the 3.25. You can go to fish camp and get a sports pass. You even get the welcome to Aggieland banner. My son just completed 3 semesters there and is now a full time Aggie in CS. I started a thread on that option almost 2 years ago and will try and post a link. Most of your questions will be answered there so please look it over. Brenham only takes about 100 applicants and you must apply to Blinn Brenham directly.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2129693-psa-vs-engineering-academy.html#latest

@2NDGENAGGIE …from Alternate Admission Decision page on website…

‘PSA offers students who are denied freshman admission the opportunity to enroll in a Texas A&M system school for one year with the intention of achieving guaranteed transfer admission to Texas A&M College Station upon successful completion of the program. Students are pre-qualified for PSA based on admission criteria provided by the system schools. Some students may have all system schools on their list while others may only have one.’

Also PSA is NOT offered thru Rellis…there are 8 schools within the TAMU system

@2NDGENAGGIE First off, Rellis is NOT PSA and is NOT a sister school. It is a satellite campus close to Texas A&M and more geared towards engineering students in TEAB, I believe. The participating system schools are:
Prairie View A&M University
Tarleton State University
Texas A&M International University
Texas A&M University — Commerce
Texas A&M University — Corpus Christi
Texas A&M University — Kingsville
Texas A&M University — Texarkana
West Texas A&M University

When my son applied, he applied with BIMS and Public Health as his first and second choice majors. He was given PSA (29 ACT (met minimum for both math and english), 12.4% rank, good essay, and average ECs with part time job). He was on fence about attending Blinn and then doing straight transfer vs PSA. He decided on PSA because it is guaranteed ONLY if he met all the requirements (on the website, it says: “In this program you will enroll in one of the participating Texas A&M University System schools. You will begin Fall classes at Texas A&M University College Station after completing the program.” Additionally, only Engineering requires ETAM - if you pursue a certain major via PSA, then you WILL be in that major when you start at TAMU CSTAT.

Due to PSA not including BIMS or Public Health, my son changed his major to biochemistry and is currently attending Texas A&M at Corpus Christi. He decided that he could still meet his end goals (medical school) by going this route (even though his heart was set on BIMS). He very much wanted to finish at Texas A&M College Station so he set his sight on that goal. He is doing very well (4.0 last semester) and is very much looking forward to moving to CSTAT this summer (we have a house lined up for him and his sister (who is currently a junior at TAMU)).

Also, for those who think they won’t qualify due to having an associates degree when they graduate HS, it does say: “Dual credit can be used to satisfy a bolded italicized course. However, you will still be required to complete at least 24 hours in residence at a single system school by the end of the spring semester of your first year of college.” I would ask an adviser for your major first before pursuing this route. I think they did this because they truly do not have the room beyond the full admit offers made to incoming freshmen. If they were to allow dual credit to satisfy that requirement, then that would totally defeat the purpose of trying to curb the number of admissions allowed.

@all for those receiving PSA offers, it’s not the end of the road - benefits:

1. Starting at a smaller system school to get acclimated to college life.

2. Builds character :slight_smile:

3. Upon meeting requirements, you WILL be in College Station - it’s not where you start but where you finish - keep your eye on the prize!

I know there are more benefits but I am supposed to be working. :smiley:

Also, I saw a question on this thread about PSA and the RELLIS Campus. RELLIS does not participate inPSA. You must go to the main campus (Tarleton, corpus, etc) for fall and spring.

@scotsfi sorry, with the word “intention” in front of “guaranteed”…I missed “guaranteed”…TY!

@Stonek Sounds like you DO have options. Do your research before panicking. You’ve already achieved SO much! And you WILL do more. I would like to ask what your stats are (besides 60 hrs towards an associates). My current HS freshman is on track to graduate with an Associate of Science (40 hours). Lastly, might sound corny, but pray for God’s Will. Good luck to you - and all other TAMU hopefuls.

I have a slightly different take on the disappearing tab. It may NOT be a PSA offer. A&M may be closing down options for majors for full admittance students in order to solidify the waitlist students. Once a student is “marked” for full admit for a major, they are taking a waitlist spot for that major/college. This may be the university’s way of expediting the waitlist process.
I’m an Aggie (class of 98 BIMS) and it would shock me if some of you don’t get full admit, our daughter included. She’s top 16%, 103 GPA, AP Scholar (scored 4 or higher on 3 or more exams), Hospital Clinical rotations, NHS, HOSA, Science NHS, Dance 4 years (varsity 2), Track 2 years, 21 hours AP/DC and working 20 hrs a week and is waiting on Public Health.
I am still highly optimistic and have faith that all will turn out as it should. Our students/scholars have worked so hard and deserve some recognition.

my dual credit college gpa is 3.2?