TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@kartmom17 sorry, only the first paragraph was directed to you congratulating your son on Galveston engineering. The other two were generic answers to questions that were asked in addition to yours.

sorry for the confusion

Other than the one practice test for the Math Placement Exam for Engineering Majors ā€“ what else can we use to supplement for reviewing the Math for the Math Placement Exam?

should I even bother going to aggieland saturday if Iā€™m still being considered for the engineering academy? I live in the Houston area.

Weā€™re in the same boat. Still waiting and from Houston too. Iā€™d almost rather not go back up and have my daughter get excited again over seeing the Zachry Building, and have to still wait on a decision until April. Weā€™ve been in the building multiple times already, and are very acquainted with the campus. Almost thinking of scheduling a trip up to TTU to take a look. I just hate that itā€™s so far away.

Has anyone been up to tour the TTU Engineering buildings/facilities specifically? How are their labs and classrooms? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I emailed admissions and mentioned this. The response I got was:

Our leadership team is fully aware of the upcoming Aggieland Saturday event and those who hope to have their decision by that time. I cannot promise the decision will be made by then, but I know that is what they are trying to do right now.
ā€¦I see this event primarily driven for prospective students for next yearā€™s cycle, but it is also a weekend and an open campus, so we will all be wandering around and you could ask additional questions at that time.

@YankeeTexan33
We were also considering going up to TTU. They have a Raider Connect event for admitted students on February 17th (and others in March/April). We havenā€™t seen their campus yet because of the distance. But weā€™re losing patience with A&M and may just give up and shift our full focus to TTU and attend that event to check it out (and hopefully get more excited about the school as others have said they fell in love after visiting campus).

@YankeeTexan33 @queenpencil two years ago my son was offered PSA. He was accepted to TTU and Auburn Engineering but he wanted to be an Aggie. He enrolled in the engineering academy in Brenham and now is a full time student in CS. Itā€™s a great way to get fully admitted in to one of the top engineering departments in the country. There is nothing wrong with tech or auburn, but the resources and the number of options for majors is almost 3 times what tech offers. I believe tamu offers 21 or so different degrees in the engineering department. This a link to a thread a started on our experience. Also feel free to DM me if you have questions. Itā€™s a great program. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2173399-engineering-academies-option-for-those-not-admitted-to-tamu.html#latest

I went up there for the Thanksgiving tour and I loved it. It was so welcoming and they give you a walking tour all around the campus. One thing I would recommend is that you email the director of the major you want. For example, I emailed the Civil Engineering Head Professor to meet with me so I could ask him some questions and talk about the campus. He gladly agreed to meet with me and I felt so much better after meeting with him in the Civil Engineering building. He also invited a couple of professors for my major to meet me as well and so when I hopefully become as Red Raider, they will easily recognize me and I will stand out since I reached out to them. Just something I would really recommend to do while touring the engineering building. I didnā€™t get to see the classrooms but my twin sister did.Sheā€™s a Chemical Engineering major and did the same thing I did and loved touring the labs and classrooms. The professors really care about their students at TTU. I really am considering attending if TAMU doesnā€™t give me a decision soon. Let me know if you have any questions about Engineering at TTU! Or even about visiting!

@texangurl21 Wait so if I wouldā€™ve chosen just Blinn Team I wouldā€™ve been guaranteed?

@somehighschoolgirl Thank you so much for the great info on TTU! We may just have to take a trip up there. I truly believe the aspect of making the students feel welcomed is so important. Itā€™s hard to send our DD to a school whoā€™s been handling their admissions process as poorly as A&M has recently. To me itā€™s a precursor to whatā€™s still to come from that school. My gut has been telling me to consider her other acceptances more seriously. I know sheā€™ll be successful no matter where she attends college. A&M has a great cult like following in Houston, but if you think you might end up in Dallas, then they really donā€™t place Aggies on that high of a pedestal. Most likely because they have some really great schools of their own in and around Dallas.

Best of luck to you!!! Iā€™m sure youā€™ll thrive where ever you land!

I think the engineering ā€œKeyā€ is one of the prettiest areas on the Texas Tech campus. It appears they have added new buildings too - like the Petroleum (2014) and others.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/coe/about/map.php

I walked in that area in November when I took my junior on a campus tour. If you look at the map link - West Hall is where you check in for general campus tours, Holden is where they take you into a lecture room for an admission/Tech overview before the walking tour of the campus.

We walked by ourselves later in the area - because the dorm that is above West Hall, partially on the map is where I lived when I was in graduate school.

While @trinley is right that TAMU is ranked higher than TTU and offers more degrees, there are still many degrees TTU does offer. If your daughter is interested in Aerospace, nuclear, ocean then TTU would not be a good fit.

Have you toured Tech? I would strongly suggest you do. They have a way of making you feel welcome and not just a number.

@YankeeTexan33
No problem! Happy to help! Best of luck to your daughter as well and I am sure that she will succeed wherever to decides to go!

@maddiegurley I was offered ā€œGalveston, McAllen, Blinn/Bryanā€ on Friday and I chose only the ā€œEngineering Academy at Blinnā€.
I was put on the ā€œwait and seeā€ list like so many others.

@CAPSgt Iā€™m a non-engineering student. A few weeks I logged onto AIS and I had three options, but it was Blinn TEAM, waitlist or both. AIS made it seem like I had received an offer of admission for Blinn TEAM but thatā€™s not the case. I selected both. Now my application says Iā€™m on the waitlist and am ā€œbeing considered for Blinnā€

@maddiegurley Gotcha! Sorry about that. Hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

@YankeeTexan33 I live in DFW and for sure the Aggie love is strong here! Much stronger than even TCU or SMU or UTD. I would say the second most love in north Dallas where I live is OU, then maybe OSU, the Tech, then UT, then our local DFW schools.

Interestingā€¦our daughter took a job in DFW area after her A&M graduation, and she didnā€™t really feel the love since she was an Aggie. She actually commented to us after first moving there, it was almost the complete opposite. People kind of snubbed her for being an Aggie. Maybe she just hadnā€™t met the right people yet. :smiley:

Hey everybody! Does anyone receive any messages about scholarships? Or did anyone check the financial aid portal and saw that the scholarships were awarded? I wonder if anyone got any kinds of money from TAMUā€¦ when does it usually come out and is there any chance that additional recipients will be rewarded? Also, does anyone know the stats of the recipient who got the lowest amount?? Thanks!

I looked at the practice test. It looks like they test some basic stuff from pre cal. The rest is similar to algebra on sat (so yes, practicing sat actually does something here :slight_smile: ). Both of these are available on khan. In case you donā€™t know already, have your kiddo add pre cal to class list and practice. I think thatā€™s a good place to review/practice. I would do the practice test, learn the concepts on missed questions. Once the skills learned, try again on the same practice test but make sure s/he knows why/how, not from memory, then try on howdy. Then repeat. I think that should prep the kiddo for the real one.

Yours should be in the portal already. Whatever in there, that should be it from the school. Department scholarships are planned to come out later in a month or two if you get anything.