TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@Kjohnson01 Yes they are, congrats!

Also this morning, my friend texted me that she received three voicemails from Blinn about being part of the engineering at Blinn Bryan. Her AIS still says in review but is this a good sign?

@Kjohnson01 yes those are the tabs
congrats to your son!!!
You should be able to register for NSC as soon as the ‘Whoop You’ve Been Admitted’ shows up in AIS

@AggieMOStudent24 I think it’s a very good sign. Did she get the 6 tabs also? She should check it this morning.

I’m not sure what you talking about in terms of a large percentage of admitted students @JaceyK. Last year was the lowest percent of successful review applicants that I’ve run numbers for.

Last year only 17% of students made it out of review. The number of review students if you are looking at the breakdown of the admission categories (the people who got admitted or co-enrolled), review students only make up 10.7% of the current Freshman class.

From something I posted back in September.

In 2018 - 42.2% of applicants got PSA or denied. In 2019 that number was 52%. So nearly 10 percent more students were PSA or denied for the class of 2023. 2018 about 19% of the admitted students came out of review. 2019 it was 10.7%. So a review applicant in 2018 was almost twice as likely to gain admission than a review applicant in 2019.

There were roughly 31200 review applicants in 2019. You get that number by looking at the whole number of applicants minus the Top 10% and Academic admits (Review Full and Review Alternative - plus the 25,000+ PSA and denied.)

So 7.53% of review applicants were granted full admission. And 9.62% were given alternative admission. So in total 17% of review applicants were granted full admission, Gateway, Blinn TEAM or the engineering academy. In other words - less than 20 percent of all review applicants were granted admission.

@TAMUAg Thank you!!! Do you know how long it takes for the 'Whoop You’ve been Admitted to show up in AIS? We anxiously want to hurry and sign up for NSC.

It almost sounds like perhaps admissions is working through the engineering applications that did NOT make the 10/15 Early Action deadline and awarding full admissions for those that make the cut. Congrats to those students!

Since they are going through those non EA engineering students now, I can’t see how they’d possibly be handing out any decisions on the 1/31 “waitlisted” students. I personally think the admissions people that gave people answers at Aggieland about acceptances being out this week had their facts confused. (I’m referring to the admissions people having their facts confused) I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it all happening this week.

@BlueBayouAZ Well when you put it like that - I wasn’t looking at just review admits only. I wonder what the percent is of borderline review/academic admits is. He was just so dang close! Sigh.

And I was originally referring to % admitted vs. % denied/PSA

@YankeeTexan33 Hopefully it’ll be out by the end of the month! (assuming from last years timeline)

Congrats !! NSC should show up within 24 hrs to allow him to register. Btw, can you share your son stats so everyone knows the timing, admits, etc
 ?

@mikeinsugarland Thank you. Stats were 1350 SAT (680M, 670R) Top 26%

The UIN is immaterial for this type of FERPA request. He would have had to have been admitted to request to see the file.

I definitely hear you! It is frustrating, the not knowing. But, if you had been allowed to request and view the admissions file, I can absolutely promise you that you still wouldn’t know. You’d only be more confused, and wondering if an inebriated person put gibberish together and called it “Admissions File” ! :smiley: They don’t actually fill in the blanks for you on decisions. It’s practically a data file, only (like @BlueBayouAZ mentioned) you don’t have the key to deciphering the field names or values. Further, they don’t add into (admissions files) what the admit standards are, even if you had the key. And, IVY schools are probably a little easier to glean some info from than how a Texas school data file will appear.

Thx 
 when did he applied ? Early or regular deadline ?

Every University has a department through which you can make an “Open Records” request. You can just go to the school website and type “Open Records”, and you’ll find it for sure. They’ll provide you with instructions on how to make the request.

That said, anybody can make a request for their file, but unless you’re an admitted (and usually current) student, they’re not obligated to fulfill the request-- and, they’re not going to. And, as I mentioned to @JaceyK , there aren’t typically the kind of ‘notes’ or ‘comments’ that you can decipher. There are usually codes, or encoded language that would mean absolutely nothing to you.

The UT Austin admisisons files do contain their AI and PAI scores, but it won’t tell you anything about thresholds for any given year. You already know how AI is calculated (generally speaking- maybe not the scale, but it’s a value that calculates rank, score, and core units over a certain number). You won’t be able to calculate PAI. It also won’t tell you why/why not a student was/wasn’t admitted to major. Even if you had the file of a rejected student to compare it with, you wouldn’t be able to extrapolate any answers or patterns, because the sample would be way too small, and AI & PAI aren’t the only inputs into the final decision.

Congratulations @Kjohnson01 !!!

@nomatter Thank you! It’s such a relief that the wait is finally over. It was a brutal wait indeed.

@mikeinsugarland it wasn’t early for sure. He applied in November.

Just wanted to address this one thing (forgot in my other response). You (parent) can’t make this request on behalf of your student. Your student (even if still a minor) has a right educational privacy (covered under FERPA) where college is concerned. If your student has a reason for requesting a file she can’t read, from a school that she was admitted to (and may have to wait until she’s a current student, depending on the school), go right ahead. But, I’d caution encouraging your student to do this so you can see the file.

Believe me, I don’t think that anybody doesn’t want to know the details of admission reviews. But these are young adults (or soon to be, if you’ve got a very young one like me), and this is their journey. Some of the decisions confound us for sure. Still, there comes a time when we need to let them take the journey, even if there are ups, downs, mysteries, surprises, triumphs, and heartbreaks. As parents, we’ve been used to being at the helm. It’s time to let them be Captain. Just a bit of friendly (albeit unsolicited) advice. :smile:

@nomatter I agree that they should be in the driver’s seat. I would like to add though that they have WAAAY more to be accountable for than we did when we applied for college. I remember I applied to 1 school and that was that. No poring over CC, videos, social media, etc for information on getting admitted or on when decisions will be released! I even totally BOMBED the SAT and still got in. LOL! I didn’t even retake it - I was like “Meh - I’m good”. Nowadays, kids have AP tests/scores, DC classes, SAT/ACT tests (and more retakes), extracurriculars, letters of recommendations, etc etc etc.

This is an excellent point. Back in the day, UT gave auto-admit for top 10% and 1200+ SAT (I don’t know what TAMU was because I didn’t apply). I was in all honors classes in a school where honors classes weren’t the norm, so I barely had to get out of bed to get top 10%. I suspect having the better classes also helped my SAT, which I didn’t prep for
 at all.

There is no way, I would get into either of these schools today if I were to go through high school the way I did back then.

@TexasMTDad It really is unfortunate, the pressure that is on kids these days. I get so upset thinking about it. I do try soooo hard to refrain from nagging my youngest because he just needs to live like a normal teenager should (not would because today’s normal just isn’t normal in my book!). But alas, I still nag because I don’t want him to suffer from any lapses in his own judgement (of a teenager!). And then you add the rising costs of college - no stress! These kids are having to face way more than we did - my daughter, a junior at TAMU, does SO much more than I ever did (in HS or college). I get exhausted just hearing about her day.