TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

No, I am national Merit commended.

AHHHHHHH I hate this waiting part! My son was accepted to the Engineering program at The University of Tennessee yesterday with a scholarship that makes it comparable to in state tuition. BUTā€¦their program isnā€™t what TAMUā€™s is! The only reason he applied is because itā€™s where I went to school and because my father lives there.
UGHā€¦ this is so frustrating! And, I donā€™t even know if he will settle when he gets notice from TAMU. He applied to UT Austin as well and wonā€™t hear from them before December or January I am pretty sure.

Class Rank: 2nd Q
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1460, 750 E 710 M
ACT (with Sub Scores) 31 (I canā€™t remember sub scores)
When did you receive your admission decision: pending
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Engineering

Calc BC: 4
Physics1: 4
National Hispanic Scholar
4 Years in HS Band
RC Car National competition winner
Regional Science Fair competition winner
NASA program participant
Etc, etc, etc :slight_smile:

I believe my son has a strong profile, but the ranking is hurting him, he has good grades, 93% average, but not enough to be in the top 25% of his HS class.

Do you believe he still has a chance to get admitted into Engineering? Or should we focus on other schools?

Thanks a lot in advance!

My son is National Merit commended but when he applied in July he didnā€™t mark yes on the question on the application about NMS since the list hadnā€™t come out yet. He hasnā€™t been accepted to engineering yet and Iā€™m concerned. Any other NM commended not accepted yet?

@DadWithQuestions your son has a very strong profile. He may not get main campus for first year but he should get either Galveston or Blinn academy if not. I canā€™t imagine not getting one of those 3 choices. I suggest researching those two alternatives just to familiarize yourself. And main campus isnā€™t out of the question either with those stats. Iā€™m not saying that, just being prepared for other options is always good.

Iā€™m trying to apply for electrical or mechanical engineering at a&m college station. my rank is 99/573 in my high school (3.72 gpa)
my sat is a 1380(610 ebrw, 770 m).
(my ap classes include physics 1 and physics 2, calculus bc, (dual credit) us history, and comp sci a. this year iā€™m doing physics c stats econ and gov for aps)
I had all aā€™s in my AP science and math classes beside physics 1
i have a part time job since june 2019, about 5 honor societies, i used to volunteer every week at a local tamil school (nonprofit). i used to do the math and science club as well. i did mess up my freshman year (rank 165) btw. sorry for the long post, and thank you for responding if you do. if I want to do early deadline how do I send in my October sat? The scores come back around the 18th and the deadline is the 15th. I tried doing the act but my 21 on reading brought my score down to a 28 (I want to use my sat for that reason). Also they said no academic admits for engineering now. Itā€™s holistic I think, but I want to raise reading and I donā€™t know how. Thank you for responding, and you are helping out a LOT of people by keeping posted on this forum for more than three months. The helps is definitely appreciated.

btw, I have not turned in my application. I finished my SRAR and everything on ApplyTexas, but I am still working on my essays, so I just want to kno my chances given that I have not turned it in yet. I have to request recommendation letters and send my scores too btw.

thank you! Iā€™m going to research more about those options!

@Gargantuan65m yes, getting into engineering major is holistic review. And based on your stats youā€™re holistic review for tamu as well. So you probably wonā€™t hear back until end of year or early next year. Know your options for alternative pathways as your math sat is great so I do believe youā€™ll get some sort of offer for engineering.

I would still apply now and let the new sat score roll in when itā€™s ready.

So what are my chances? I am working on the essay and then I can start applying. What is a good score to have for this October SAT?

@Gargantuan65m bring that English up to 660 and you will probably get full admit engineering.

Posting for my son for entry in 2020, For reference data: my daughter entered TAMU in 2018 with a homeschooled 4.0GPA and 1400 SAT, she applied late July 2017, her admission letter was dated September 28, 2017 and her general engineering (direct to TAMU) admit letter was early December. She entered in 2018, did ETAM Spring 2019 and was an automatic admit to mechanical engineering, supposedly the most difficult to get into. (3.5+GPA at end of Spring 2019) In ETAM she had to choose 3 options and write one general essay, and then an essay for each major option. She received her admission notice in June 2019. Current rumors are theyā€™re doing away with automatic ETAMā€¦

Data on my son, applying for Fall 2020, your insight, especially as to dates of notices for review admits would be appreciated! (he does have a backup plan and is preparing for that!)

When did you apply: July 14, 2019 (got UIN-first digit is a 5-from TAMU July 16,2019)
Class Rank: 4.0GPA homeschooled, so no rank
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1320 630RW 690Math,
34 reading, 29writing, 34.5 math
ACT (with Sub Scores)
When did you receive your admission decision: Not yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Engineering

Application included essays that were reviewed by college prep course staff (for scholarship as well) and 2 letters of recommendation (1 from a teacher, 1 from scoutmasterā€¦they say they donā€™t look at anything past the first 2, is it good to submit more?)

Also has passing TAMU CLEP scores submitted for US History I & II, US Government, Precalculus. Current transcript shows completion of Calculus & Physics by graduation. Currently taking Chemistry & TX Government as dual credit, with 100% in Chemistry, but that transcript wouldnā€™t show that yet so should it even be submitted where it just shows enrolled?

Eagle Scout age 15, Senior Patrol Leader 2019, (but not interested in Corp) very active scout & church volunteer in audio/visual, has done a dorm tour on campus, attended a prospective student Saturday, will attend another prospective student event.

Any insight you have toward timing of letters for a review admit like this would be greatly appreciated! And the chances of a direct engineering admit and a Blinn academy admit. We know he can go to his local TAMU engineering academy no problem, but heā€™s tested out of a lot of stuff leaving it difficult to carry a full time loadā€¦which isnā€™t all bad if youā€™re not on an academic scholarship, makes it easier to ease into the demands of collegeā€¦and let me tell you it is a killer, that Calculus & Physics in comparison to your local junior college! There are many benefits to staying home at an academy for a year or two!

And is it true the first digit of UIN relates to acceptance likelihood? My daughterā€™s started with a 9, but she knows a girl with a direct engineering admit that starts with a 1ā€¦she heard this about UIN from someone who works in admissions.

@dnab Thanks for the great detail for your daughter to help those waiting on engineering review plus the process of ETAM. This is the first Iā€™ve heard of them doing away with automatic ETAM for Engineering with a 3.5. And Iā€™ve never heard of the UIN being any indicator as of acceptance.

One thingā€¦ if your son applied in July, TAMU should have assigned him a rank on AIS. Can you see that? Heā€™ll most likely get first quarter so heā€™ll be an academic admit into TAMU based on ACT scores! Let us know about that. If they havenā€™t assigned him a rank, then you should call admissions. Thatā€™s too long of time period not to have a rank, especially for home school. As for Engineering chances, I think he has an excellent shot at main campus. His maths scores are impressive as is the class rigor of being prepared in math and science. No worries momma!

@dnab Interesting on the UIN number but I doubt it. My current two Aggies numbers started with a 5 and they were auto admit and academic admit.

@dnab I donā€™t think there is much to that UIN thing. My sonā€™s number starts with a 1 and we havenā€™t heard a THING about being accepted to engineering yet.

@AggieMomhelp do you recall if it was the release that happened on 10/12 last year that had the bulk of the engineering acceptances from the auto and academic admit folks or if there was a larger release later on?

@boogie818 I donā€™t recall. Iā€™m sorry. Maybe @thelma2 has this in her notes. Sheā€™s amazing at keeping records.

Okay, I just back to it that thread on October 11thishā€¦ and no one really mentioned their stats but Iā€™m going to say they were mainly Academic and Auto because most that posted (if not all) made the comment that theyā€™d had 6 tabs for a while and now it shows Eng and major. No holistic peeps heard that early.

@AggieMomhelp TAMU has assigned him a rank as 1st Quarter (is that like top 25%? I donā€™t even know what that is!) The scores I posted are SAT subscores, not ACT scores. :frowning: We only submitted his SAT which is 1320 with 630RW 690Math, so I donā€™t think heā€™s an academic admit, but Iā€™m also new to thisā€¦with my daughter, she didnā€™t even want to go there when she was accepted, so it wasnā€™t anything we were even trying to figure out!

So, if heā€™s ā€˜reviewā€™ do you have an idea as to the timeline for admission decisions to the engineering program if he got his UIN on July 16?

thank you for sharing your expertise!

@Boogie818 I read the last yearā€™s threads, the Manage your Application(s) started to change first on 10/11, then AIS on 10/12.