TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@“agmom?” and @kmacrna when did your kids apply? Mine has good stats, NM commended, EC, etc but he applied early July. Maybe that is a reason. they are working their way down the list by application date and just haven’t gotten to your kids yet. No way with those stats will they not be accepted.

Thank you! @AggieMomhelp

@TexasAggie99 I am not sure the exact date but I think he applied the first week of October. I am not expecting a quick turn around. I am new to A&M and just trying to understand it all. It’s such a arduous process for these kids!

I don’t think that’s the case. If I remember correctly, somebody got admitted to eng. and he applied in October :slight_smile:
I don’t think TAMU wants us to know how they choosing their students. But you are right, there’s no way their kids will not be admitted, they have great scores.

AggieMomhelp : "As for you engineering students/parents. Breathe in breathe out and repeat as necessary. "

I love your post, I started to laugh so loud, my dogs didn’t know what’s going on :-))
It’s kind of nice and exciting to wait. But I can’t imagine that kids suppose to wait until December or January, that’s drastic.

When did you apply: 7/11
Class Rank: High School in The Netherlands doesn’t rank (but AIS says Top25%)
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1340 (JUST GOT NEW RESULT TODAY) 660 EBRW- 680 Math
ACT (with Sub Scores)- 26 Composite
When did you receive your admission decision: Not yet
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: review
Major/College of Choice: 1st Business Admin (Mays), 2nd Economics (Liberal Arts)

As my son’s first SAT score was 1230, he just got notified that he improved substantially to 1340. However, he did not make the treshold of 1360 for academic admit. But he did make the Academic minimums for both EBRW (which is 660) and Math (which is 620). Is academic admit still a reach with his scores?

Yes, they are firm on the minimum total score. My son scored a 29 on the ACT with 28 minimum in both math and EBRW. His avg of all 4 sections was 29.25 to be exact - ranked top 12% in his class of over 900. He still got PSA.

@JaceyK wow! That is shocking that he didn’t get in with a 29.

@Dutchie2024 As Jaceyk said, they are firm on that overall score… BUT it will look good that he is so close and made the minimums. Last year for jacey’s son, it was extremely competitive. It was shocking he got PSA. It’s too early to tell what the threshold will be for this cycle. Mays will probably be full though by the time your son hears back. Econ is a great major. My son did the exact same thing. Wanted Mays but full in December when he was admitted. However, loving his econ major as a sophomore. Hang in there. And how cool… the Netherlands? I wanna go!!!

Thanks all for your info. Let’s hope that this year will be a little less competitive. My son is really looking forward to study in the US in general and at A&M in particular. Even more after visiting College Station last summer. If not Bus Admin then Econ.

Will it be possible to transfer to Mays after the 1st year?

@dutchie2024 Mays is tricky. Need minimum 3.5 and 30 completed hours at TAMU to just apply to Mays, so would have to wait until sophomore to apply as spring entry or junior fall. If that is his plan, be very diligent in the courses he takes those 3 semesters so as not to waste any. They only accept 100 change of majors per YEAR, so it’s highly competitive. I personally feel that econ is more marketable than business unless you’re going accounting.

Does anyone know when classes start in fall 2020? I’m thinking either August 23rd or 30th but couldn’t find a calendar with it approved. Is there a trick they always use like starting on the 4th Monday in the month or something I’m missing?

@TexasAggie99 I saw online (maybe on the residential halls website?) that classes start the 24th.

@laurarwrites thank you!

So, for a review applicant (non engineering) - 6 tabs is a good sign? AIS still shows application is in review.

Yes @pepper5420

Trying to stay calm ( as others advised lol) . But my daughters class rank showed first quarter yesterday in AIS with green check mark ( which is where she really is ) . Today , rank shows incomplete with the red x. . She comes from a non ranking school and is prob around 23%… I sure hope their “formula” doesn’t place her wrong as I heard of happening last year . It’s the difference between academic admit and not … so stressful !

Calendar has not been released. If you saw 24th on residential, that could be move in. Last year they did start on the 28th so it’s anyone’s guess if it’ll be the last full week or August or the last Monday of August.

@AggieMomhelp Thanks for your view on Mays and Econ. Good to hear Econ worked out great for your son. I guess we just have to wait (and keep on breathing…) and hope for positive news soon.

@TexasAggie99 we are OOS. My son, his sister and I flew down for NSC in June. Then he did the last week of FISH camp. This also allowed for early (one day) move in. We drove from Pa. While he was at FISH camp we toured parts of Texas. I can not stress how important FISH camp is. Not so much for the camp experience itself, but for the friendships and support system that came from it. I truly believe it gave him what he needed to adjust and succeed in a new environment, so far from home.

@AggieMomhelp https://reslife.tamu.edu/events/action~agenda/page_offset~1/cat_ids~19/request_format~html/
Here’s where I saw the start date