TAMU Class of 2024 Housing

Now that our kids are in what kind of advice is there on Housing. We completed Phase I for on campus housing and our son is interested in the LLC communities. He also has interest in Callaway Villas. Any advice?

Callaway Villas are nice, but not university housing. It is kind of on property though. LLCs are a preference and not for everyone. Dorm life is dorm life. Modulars are really big 2 person 1 bath. Commons (eng. LLC) is suite style so 2 per room 4 per bath in between. Hullabaloo are considered the best. Lots of configurations. Then there are less expensive options but most have been remodeled and everyone seems to like where they live. Options on North and South side for Modulars. Everything else is either on north or south side. For instance Commons are only on the south side. Less expensive options and hullabaloo are on North side near Sbisa dining and food court. Then there’s White Creek. Apartment style on West campus. Great dining over there and like a little MSC. My son loved it over there freshman year. Different configurations there as well. Enjoy. These are fun decisions.

@AggieMomhelp - Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate your insight. We are looking at White Creek as well.

@AggieMomhelp - Another question. Our son is an athlete. Not College athletics but a hard core Basketball player. Intramural sports will be important to him. He is also an Honors student in high school. Engineering (Computer Science) will be his major. Looking for that type area on campus or off would be great. I am not quite sure where that type living would be. When I was there there weren’t near the choices.

I may not understand your question… what do you mean “that type of area”? Many students play intramurals. Either through greek system, clubs, friends, dorms, etc. West campus has the REC… lots of pick up games every day and night and when Myles Garrett was here, he was always there playing bball with random students (including my 5’8" son lol- a little height and talent discrepancy). Campus is big, but it won’t matter where he lives on playing any type of intramurals OR finding smart kids to hang with in his major. They find eachother in classes, on the bus, in the library, labs, study pods, etc. If a student doesn’t find their people, they just need to open up more and look for them. There will be an open house at the MSC the beginning of the semester. All the clubs will be represented. It’s amazing.

Fair enough. Thanks for the help. That was what I was looking for.

In your opinion, except sharing, what else makes one more expensive than others? I’m more concerned about safety, cleanness. Any ideas (pro/con) about same sex vs. co-ed? Thanks.

To my knowledge (knock on wood), there are no incidents in the dorms in regards to safety. Secured access in and out. The expensive vs. less expensive is based on size, newness, room configuration, location. I know some of the modulars used to smell moldy, but they’ve now done a lot of renovating, so that may no longer be an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with the Engineering LLC, and living in the Commons (Mosher)? Pros/Cons?

@2020Outlook - My son liked living in Mosher, but really didn’t get much out of the LLC portion of it. My understanding is activities and study groups are arranged by floors. Maybe he had a bad RA or maybe he didn’t put in enough effort exploring the resources available.

Thank you. I figure at least he will have an Eng. Roommate