TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

what was his major?

Applied for Mechanical Engineering. Have switched to Econ. 4.6 weighted, 3.5 unweighted. 1300 SAT (during a benchmark test at school, didn’t get to take again, thank you Covid). Lots of extracurriculars and volunteer hours. 9 AP courses.

1 Like

My son got the same three options for Engineering. However, I am confused about what he will do at any of these campuses since he has already completed most engineering first two-year courses (core curriculum, Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry) at Austin Community College. He submitted all college transcripts with his application. Will someone please advise.

Does the second choice major gets displayed on the portal? In my son’s case the second choice is not listed. Only his first choice is shown. Now he is not sure if he chose a second choice for TAMU.

Calculus, physics, and chemistry are all fundamental for engineering majors. The first question is whether those classes at ACC are equivalent in rigor to what is taught at TAMU. Was it calculus based physics? Both mechanics and E&M? If not, he would need to retake the engineering version. Did he complete 3 semesters of calculus? Many students will re-take calculus at the university level. If he’s good there, there’s still differential equations and statistics. The engineering/math major version of statistics, not the one for life science and business majors. Plus other core curriculum requirements. I’m not familiar with the requirements of those 3 options and what they need to take, but I do know the engineering/math curriculum at TAMU and it may be a different level than what is taught at community college. It’s nice to come in with credits, but you also don’t want him to have any uncertainty about those critical core subjects and then struggle with the upper level classes that build on the fundamentals.

4 Likes

Yes, I checked all the courses are transferable to Texas A&M Engineering. Austin Community College offers two years Chevron engineering academy (under agreement with A&M Engineering) before transferring to College Station engineering. He took the same courses. Does computer science fall under engineering? His fourth option is to select a major other than the engineering department.

This is what I would do: have your son email the computer science department academic advisor at the 3 options (you should be able to find a contact on the department website) and ask them what classes would be available to him so he can continue to advance toward his degree before transferring to College Station. Hopefully they will be responsive and be able to give you a definitive answer.

1 Like

Yes, computer science is under Engineering. Why doesn’t he just stay at ACC and complete the 2nd year of that academy? I am surprised tho with that many engineering type classes that he wasn’t admitted straight to tamu. BUT, if he does do one of the options, his GPA will be amazing!

hello everyone! quick question on behalf of a friend who has been offered admission to blinn (non-engineering major). they are trying to decide whether to try to get a spot on the waiting list or if they should go to blinn instead. i do not have specific information on their stats, but am just looking for general information about chances of admission to CSTAT from the waiting list. any advice would be much appreciated! thank you!

1 Like

Can someone please give some inputs on this.

I just got offered consideration for Engineering Mcallen, Galveston, and Blinn. I was 10.58% of my class with almost straight A’s in APs with a 5.1 GPA and a 1290 SAT if anyone is curious. Really devastated right now since COVID essentially froze my GPA and my district wouldn’t count the quarter where we were entirely at school that would’ve bumped my GPA to a 5.13 and put me at 10.27%, barely enough for A&Ms 10.49% auto admit cut off. Hopefully I get into Blinn teams since that’s what I chose.

Also, how long will it take to hear back about Blinn teams? I’m kinda relieved to have heard back as i’ve been waiting since august. I know Blinn at Bryan is a good program so I’m just hoping I get in!

Second choice majors are only displayed in the Applicant Information System login area (scroll down from the checklist of what you have submitted), not on the Manage Application area, if that helps.

Wow that’s a very good GPA. I am surprised they did not offer cstat. Looks like the choice is being given through out the day today on AIS. Ours is still in review.

1 Like

Thank you so much. It is not displayed on AIS. Only the first choice is displayed. Is there a way to choose one now? Just as a back up?

That is odd, @sainila – maybe if you click Change Majors you can add a second choice? Although, and I don’t know if these admissions counselors at A&M have all the answers, but the guy I spoke with today (regarding changing major choices) said not to do so, that other majors are full, but rather to accept one of the three engineering options.

Oh ok thanks @Mom2ThreeTX I guess my son did not choose a second major then.

I hope you hear back! It’s been a very long wait and I assume y’all are as anxious as I was, although I guess my wait still isn’t over until I hear back about Blinn.

My son clicked on Blinn option. Now the message changed to " You are being considered for Texas A&M Engineering at Blinn". Application still showing under review.

My son also got the Engineering Choice and is considering the “Engineering at Blinn” option. From past experience, is it very likely that he would get in with this program or is it very selective? He has admission waiting at UTD in engineering to which he’s leaning pretty heavily rather than keeping waiting.